Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man, I can't tell you how long it's been since I've made it to the range. Haven't even shot out back since George's postal shoot earlier this year. This spring, I picked up 2 new scopes. A Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 30mm and a Leupold VXR lighted dot reticle in a 3-9x44 (I think).

I put the Leupold on my Rem 700 22-250AI for night time coyote hunting. The duplex reticle with lighted dot is going to be awesome at night calling. The Vortex went on my Rem 700 muzzleloader. It has a BDC type reticle and should work great on a muzzleloader. That's the gun I got free at the shop because the guy couldn't get the breech plug out. Barrel looks like a sewer pipe. My machinist welded a nut on and pulled it with the air ratchet. I upgraded the breech plug and got the 209 primer conversion from Arrowhead, which is a sealed breech system that fixes the piss poor design on the original 700ML. It also allows the use of Blackhorn 209 powder.

So yesterday I got my schitt together and loaded some 22-250AI ammo and prepared for a range trip. After work today I ran up to the gun club and had it all to myself (only 1 bench anyway). I shot 2 shots with each gun at 50 yards. One to get on paper, made an adjustment and moved to 100 yards.

In the muzzle loader, I am running blackhorn 209 with the 300 Gr. Scorpion PT's in the crush rib sabots Sam speaks so highly about. I started at 100 grains, then upped it to 110 and 120. Groups weren't all that great, but respectable 1 1/2"-2" or so. (For some strange reason, I pulled a few shots, called fliers each was the first shot in the group. I kept hitting the front rest with the sling swivel stud. This thing is NOT pleasant to shoot!) I dropped to 90 grains, hoping to tighten it up a little, and all that did was lower the POI. I will settle on the 110 grain load, because it was dead on at 100 and also because that's the same load I use in my Encore. Easy to remember and my speed loaders are already labeled.

The 22-250 AI is shooting really well. I had some ammo loaded from 2012 that I literally never even grouped. Just a quick load I picked from a book with RE15 and Sierra 63 grain semi-points. These were for my nephews to hunt deer with, since they were recoil shy at the time. Those loads put 3 in 1/2" with a sportier barrel of unknown origin (custom barrel though) and 3-9 scope. My other loads with RE15 and 50 gr8 Bowler ballistic tips went into 3/4". Coyote medicine.

Sure was nice to get out.

Charlie

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was nice Donnie. Been doing some research and they say weighing charges of BH209 will make things more consistent. I was just throwing them with my powder measure. Might try that next time with pre-weighed charges.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
You are more ambitious than I Charlie. But I did pull a trigger today on my POS AR 15. Poof.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I use a weighed charge of BH209 in my CVA with Thor bullets with great results.

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This barrel is pitted pretty well in a few spots. looking at the target, there's not a whole lot of difference between 90 and 120 grains. If anything, 110-120 are fairly consistent and both about the same group size. Not sure it's even with messing with. This gun is being set up for hunting in the woods, mainly bears with these big, heavy bullets. Shots probably won't be over 100 yards. Its good enough to just run with it and go kill stuff. If I need an accurate longer range field hunting load, My Encore will outshoot this gun to 300 without even trying. I have that one dialed in.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yep the encore barrel is the same as the Omega, and several other TC rifles, just different underlugs welded on. I have had great success with the combo you are using, will be loading it up again in about 4 weeks.

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sam, I'm still using those Dead Center 195 Gr. 357 cal high BC duplex sabots in the Encore. Under an inch at 100 and they are clocking over 2200fps. Only drops like 6" at 300 yards. I see no need to change, they work great on deer. I may try the Harvesters just to see though.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Good to see you got out! I need to go this week to shoot some of the coated bullets I got from FB in my 6ppc panda for the match coming up this weekend.

It time to start busting some coyotes too!

·
Administrator
2,988 Posts
I haven't shot anything but my favorite 581 22LR once since I shot it for the postal match George had. That 63gr Sierra is a darn good bullet, my BIL killed his first buck in 1978 with his 22-250 Rem 788 using that bullet. I have some bullets coming today that I bought from Midway when they had free shipping with a $49 purchase. I want to work up a new load for my 6MM Ruger MKII with the 85HPBT using RL19 but it won't happen till next spring probably.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Its always good to get away to the range and forget about life hassles. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

I need to shoot my 22-250AI more than I do. With a Kreiger barrel its hard to find a pet load because it shoots everything so well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts