Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The quickest way to ruin a friendship is to discuss Politics or Religon.

The thread neither requires nor demands comments.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Asking a friend...

The thread neither requires nor demands comments.
for money ranks right up there as well. At that point you need to decide what you need more.......a friend or money?

·
Registered
151 Posts
for money ranks right up there as well. At that point you need to decide what you need more.......a friend or money?
depends. My best friends would take out a loan if I needed it, and I for them...money is nothing compared to friendship. I'd sell my pickup, my sled, and my firstborn if my friends needed money...no questions asked and NEVER expect it back. It's not a loan, it's a gift to friends. Guess I'm blessed with some good friends...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Those are mighty good friends.. heck, most don't have family that close.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I completely understand what your intended meaning is. But often the problem is we don't discuss, we argue and insult and slam! You'll never will ruin anything if you discuss it, arguing over it or trying to convert others one way or another will surely ruin it.
As to money lending money to friends, we simply don't. If a friend is in need we give what we can and never expect it back. It if turns out the person returns it we figure it a bonus. True friends are too rare to chance losing over money.
Gary

·
Registered
351 Posts
I completely understand what your intended meaning is. But often the problem is we don't discuss, we argue and insult and slam! You'll never will ruin anything if you discuss it, arguing over it or trying to convert others one way or another will surely ruin it.
As to money lending money to friends, we simply don't. If a friend is in need we give what we can and never expect it back. It if turns out the person returns it we figure it a bonus. True friends are too rare to chance losing over money.
Gary
Agreed. I believe the old axiom is never discuss politics, religion, money, or sex in "polite" or “mixed” company. Like at a cocktail party. Frankly, what else is there? Sports? The weather? Food? Life IS politics, religion, money, and sex.

As far as friends go, I can't imagine having a friend where we couldn't discuss at least politics and religion. Being able to discuss those things requires mutual trust and respect…Requirements for real friendship in my opinion. If a friendship has problems or ends after discussing those things, than it wasn't a true friendship, but just an acquaintance.

Chris

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would agree with Chris K.

A good friend can have very different social, political, and religious beliefs. It is ok, and it is ok to love them in spite of these differences.

A friend since high school days (1968) Richard and I could not be more opposite in our core beliefs, but we are tolerant to each other, out of respect, whenever visiting. He chides me, and I of course, return the favor. But we will be lifelong friends. Some people we both know actually comment, and compliment us for being able to do that. They say it is rare, and that, I suppose is true.

If someone disagrees with your core beliefs, they can either hate you for it....... or allow it, and you can then return that favor .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.