Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son got his first deer Tuesday. I realize it's late in the season---Wednesday was the last day of the Youth deer season in SD--- nothing like waiting 'til the last minute but that's just the way it worked out. Saw a nice bunch of Muley's on the way home Tues. nite. As we got close to them they crossed the road in front of us and stopped about 50 yrds. up on a hillside. I dropped curt off and drove on by the deer hoping they would watch me instead of him. One doe at the back of the heerd stopped and looked back at Curt and he let her have it. Unfortunately he shot just as she started to move and she was quartering away from him. He got her in the right shoulder w/a 100 gr. psp Win. .243. That was enough,she stumbled about 10 yrds. and down she went. I was ready w/my .243 incase he needed it but I'm glad he got her on his own. Didn't have the camera with but got a pic after we hung her up,sill try and get it on later,been having trouble with the puter so we will see. Thanks for reading, take care all.

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
The first deer is always one to remember. How old is your son? My daughter is my hunting partner. She shot her first bear this year, she was pumped! Way to go Dad in introducing a kid to hunting!

·
Registered
693 Posts
cool beans Jim

congrats to Curtis! can I look forward to some fresh venison jerky treats if/when I get back home?

is there still snow on the ground?

-niv

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Super!! Congrats to both of you.

I'll be anxious to see the pics too.

Again congratulations. WD

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's great, I'm sure....

He will always remember his first deer with his dad..Taking kids out hunting is the only way to preserve our way of life, now just wait till he gets his first taste of his first kill, happy eating!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Junior Shooters and hunters are the future

Engineer buddy and his Cub Scout son just dropped off our Scout Cannathon bag for the local food pantry. Austin was wearing his "quad parka" and he needed it at 28 deg. Dad has just completed his hunter safety instruction certification for Scout Shooting Instructor.

I sighted in their 7mm/08 earlier this year.

No matter how much we enjoy our shooting and firearms, we must encourage and train the next generation. Boy Scouting is one of the finest examples of what will continue to make GREAT AMERICAN YOUNG MEN--and Women.

Old Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.