Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basic run down of cooking sous vide. Your meat is vacuum packed and submerged being held at a specific temp for however long you see fit or need, that you finish by grilling, searing, smoking.....

I have used my Sous Vide at least 3 times a week for the last two years. I will generally season the meat prior to vacuum packing for cooking. I'll even season steaks and backstraps when we are putting up elk meat in the fall before vacuuming and freezing, this ends up being extremely handy because I'll throw something frozen in the Sous vide at lunch time and it will be ready when I get home from work.

Cook time varies, it can be as little as 1/2 an hour for fish or basically indefinitely, although the longest I have gone is about 24 hours pork shoulders.

Temp is based on what's considered safe and time. Normally chicken is cooked to 165° on a grill, with the sous vide you can cook to a lower temp if you hold it longer. I'll do turkey and chicken breast at 150° for several hours. Most of my game meats I cook at 129° to 132°.

Meats should be finished for flavor and appearance. I like to sear steaks on a screaming hot cast iron, grill, or my smoker. Depending on what I'm cooking I might smoke the meat prior to putting it in the SV.

Once you try a properly SV cooked pork chop, chicken breast, or elk steak it's extremely hard to go back to enjoying traditionally prepped meats.

Beef short ribs, 20 hours in the SV, cooled down , and smoked for 2-3 hours.

Oregon blacktail deer steaks, 4 hours at 132°, seared on a 500° grill for about 2 minutes each side.

Pork shoulder, 4 hours in the smoker, 20+ hours at 152° in the SV

And shredded

I highly recommend giving it a shot if you enjoy good food it really changed our out look. No more dried out chicken breast from the grill, no more over cooked steaks, no more chewy pork chops. If you want to give it a try prior to buying one Google the beer cooler Sous Vide method or stove top Sous Vide. But you'll end up getting one anyways.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The unit I use in a large stock pot. It sits on the counter pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Doug convinced me to try sous vide cooking last summer. I do most of the cooking at my house other than breakfast. I use it for steak, chicken, fish, potatoes several times per week. The meat is always cooked perfectly. Great technique.

Rick

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
We've had one for almost two years now, and it gets used most often in the dead of winter. Have used it for steaks, pork chops and especially chicken. The difference in sous vide and conventional grilling or oven baked chicken is incredible. The meat is tender, flavorful and moist. It reminds me of "the slow and low" cooking books by Adele Davis, who was a nutrition and dietician authority from decades ago.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
A short story about sous vide. A while back I went to Publix to pick up a steak for dinner. They were out of strop steaks at a decent price, so I decided to take a chance on round steak. When I looked up the guide for the time and temp, it was 24 hrs. Decided to give it a try and had something else that night. I set the time & temp and pulled it out the next evening, gace it a quick sear in the cast iron skillet and served it up. My wife and I were amazed. We could cut that tough old round steak with a fork and the flavor was great.

Rick

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think mine is a 750 watt. Id have to look when I get home, you can get them on sale for less than $100, and they are worth it.

I have done all sorts of meats and cuts in it. I really like grilled lamb and putting it in the Sous vide for a couple hours it makes it that much better.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How'd it come out Shane?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.