Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shooting partner and I missed our annual PD shoot last year for the first time in over 10 years. Primarily because our guide had moved. Looking for some reccommendations as to guides and locations for this year. We had been shooting in Southeast Montana, near Broadus, for a number of years then switched to South Dakota about 4 years ago. We were mainly shooting around Winner and Wood SD, and once near Forsyth. Any thoughts, advice, leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
SD Prairie Dog shoot

I would certainly not plan any shooting in the NW corner of the state. There has been a company staying at the motel here for nearly 5 weeks now, and all they have been doing is running around on 4 ATV's and poisoning PD's. Mostly Gov and State land but plenty of the local ranchers have hired them also. I am wondering if the locals (me!!) will even be able to find anything to shoot any more.:mad: :mad: Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
A good outfitter not far from there is Whithtail Creek. I have hunted with them for 2 years & plan to this year.Topnotch food,cabins & guides.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1 for Whitetail Creek Outfitters. Been there the last two years and have my reservation in for the end of May.
I used B&D Guide Service out of Wood, SD a couple years, but the last trip, they had lost 12 of 14 properties due to poisoning.
Bob

·
Registered
460 Posts
Poisoning Prairie Targets???

Elsewhere, like CO, they try to ban prairie target hunting and these guys get jobs running around poisoning them.

Wow, they must have had a lot of poison left over from out here, or else you don't have enough ski areas there to get all of the warm and fuzzies to tell everyone how to live!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 for Whitetail Creek Outfitters. Been there the last two years and have my reservation in for the end of May.
I used B&D Guide Service out of Wood, SD a couple years, but the last trip, they had lost 12 of 14 properties due to poisoning.
Bob
B&D were who we were using as well. Seems they have moved out of Wood also. Thanks all for the info. I will contact Whitetail Creek Outfitters.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use Indian Creek Adventures........

Ed Schaffer is the guide and a great one, too. We stay at his house cheaper than we can stay at the motel in Broadus. Has put us on great PD shooting for 12 straight years. We're already booked for the second week in June.
Here's their link: http://www.indiancreekadventures.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed Schaffer is the guide and a great one, too. We stay at his house cheaper than we can stay at the motel in Broadus. Has put us on great PD shooting for 12 straight years. We're already booked for the second week in June.
Here's their link: http://www.indiancreekadventures.com
I know Ed we hunted with him for a couple of years. If we decide to go back to Montana instead of SD, Ed is on the top of the list. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We hunted out of Winner/Wood the past 2 years as well, with poor success last year. Our guide didn't have much in the way of properties due to the poisoning as well. I understand that the poisoning has continued so we are looking elsewhere (as in other states) - assuming we can find something better!

·
Registered
303 Posts
The big dog in the SD pasture is VHA (Varmint Hunters Assoc.) out of Pierre. They have web site, 800 number, etc. Guides advertise in their magazine. [varminthunter.org ] lakotamall.com is another for the great Sioux nation. Little organized in NE or KS. CO has all the bunny huggers. Wyo is wide open. guess it is a bit sticky on the CO border... Try calling BLM in Douglas. Or any chamber of commerce. [use switchboard.com or whitepages.com to find phones/addresses.) Years ago, there was a list by SD extension of ranchers seeking shooters. haven't seen a copy in ages. LUCK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts