Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at putting another AR togeather,Was thinking of using one of the SS lowers. BUT I don't want it to be too heavy. Anyone have one? Or know the weight of one?
Thanks in advance.
Eric T

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one. I don't know what the weight is off-hand but I can throw it on a scale at the shop tomorrow. It is heavy though, not something I would want to carry much. I got it mostly for the novelty of it. I also picked up a titanium lower. It too is heavy but not as bad as the stainless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SS lower

I just picked one up for a Space Rifle build - 6mm AR. I seem remember it being 1.5 lb heavier than a forged aluminum lower.
However, I like the extra weight and balance it provides for my use.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have one sitting right here , its a SS lower from DPMS and it weighs 26oz stripped naked. My PDMS stripped lower is just over 10 oz.

I often thought about what the advantage would be using a SS lower over a Al in a tactical work gun. And unless your using the gun for a bat then I realy don't see any real advantage except weight. The lower on tha AR realy doesen't take alot of stress to need the extra strength of SS.
Although I only use lowers made from 7075 T6 aluminum and not the 6061 T6 as the 7000 series is almost twice as strong and if it doesen't cost any more or weigh any more then why not use the stronger material.

If you are building a heavy varmint or bench style gun I can see using the SS but other than that I can't see any real benifit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, if you have a real fine single-stage trigger, the stainless lower is not going to get it's pin-holes (hammer and trigger) hammered out like the aluminum ones. I have had my own single-stage trigger in my ss lower as long as I've owned it, and have yet to have to re-time the trigger. That's more than I can say for any of the forged AL receivers I have owned or worked on.

Not saying that it is worth purchasing a ss lower for that alone, just that it is one of the advantages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts