Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Factory Chamberings or wildcats?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just out of boredom more than anything else, what is your preference, factory chamberings of are you like me and prefer to play with the wildcats?
My wildcat list consists of
17 Mach 4
20 Tac
220 Russo-Varminter
223 AI
22PPC
6PPC
6TCU
6mm-284Win
6BR
30BR
and I hope to get my 204 Russo-Varminter off the ground this year, same case dimensions as my 220 Russo-Varminter, which is based on an improved 22PPC Improved case design.
My standard chamberings are:
17 Rem
222 Rem
223 Rem
22-250
6.8SPC
308Win
30-06 Sprg

Ken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wildcats for me

Just like to be a little different I guess. I also really like the 25's and Rem SA rifles (700/722/600/660's) and Savage 99's. Given my preferances I don't have much choice in factory offerings.
Wildcats I have or have had:
17MIV
22-250AI
243AI
257DGR
308OBM (Really just a tight neck match chamber for a 308Win)
280AI
7STW (before it was a factory offering).

Factory Rounds:
223 Rem
243 Win
250-3000 (though it is nearly a wildcat since you will have a tough time finding factory ammo, at least around here)
308 Win
30-06 Sprg

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wildcats vs factory

I like loading and shooting wildcats, sometimes just to have something different, sometimes to fill a specific need, especially with silhoutte handguns.
Here are the ones I can think of now.
Wildcat varmint rounds that I have or have had in the past.
.219 wasp (2)
.17 Mach IV
.22 K-Hornet (2)
.222 Rimmed
.224 BRM
.219 DW PDK (not done yet,reamer ordered)
Factory Varmint
.221 FB
.22-250
.225 Win
Wildcat silhoutte
7 TCU (2)
.30 Herrett (2)
6.5 Bulberry Imp.(my favorite)
7MM Int-R
.270 REN
7MM Supermag
7 BR
.300-.221 Rimmed
Factory silhoutte
.22 Hornet
.44 Rem Mag
.357 Rem Maximum
Dave in IN

·
Registered
233 Posts
Currently have pieces chambered for the following:

Wildcats:
17 Mach VI
224 Clark
22-250 AI
6-284
41 AE
45 Win Mag

Standard:
17 HRM 8mm Rem Mag
204 Ruger 32 ACP
338 Win Mag
22 LR 35 Whelen
22 WRM 380 ACP
222 Rem 9mm
223 Win 38 Spl
22-250 Rem 357 Mag
223 WSSM 375 H&H Mag
220 Swift 10mm
6mm Rem 41 Mag
6PPC 44 Spl
44 Rem Mag
25 ACP 45 Colt
250-3000 Savage 45 ACP
257 Roberts
25-06
6.5x55 Swede
270 Win
7x57 Mauser
7mm Rem Mag
300 Savage
308 Win
300 Win Mag

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting, but not surprising.........

The sweet 17Mach4 is either listed number one or two of the posters so far. It's just plain fun for sure. My list of favorites in order of usage but not all calibers in inventory are in order;

17Mach4
22-250

I've just started working up loads for my first 204 Ruger and it appears to be a lot of fun and should "bump" in somewhere near the top.

I can also see a 6-284 coming along in the works too...lol

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Norm,
I have a 6mm- 284 Winchester on a Rem700 action and I like it a great deal. It is excessive powder wise (about 58gr H4831SC) and a real barrel burner, but it is a literal blast to shoot. Next time I rebarrel the rifle, I will be getting it done over with a muzzle brake.
It also has a pretty short barrel life. I inspected the barrel on mine after each prairie dog trip with a bore scope and mine was fire cracked and loaded up with copper after only 300 rounds.
I clean the heck out of it upon my return home each year, but it gets progressively worse. I think this will be its last trip before being rebarrelled. Mine sports a heavy Douglas barrel. Unfortunately Douglas will not install a brake for me, I will have to do that separately afterwards.
I had mine set up to shoot the 87gr V-Max with H4831SC, it is a good performer.
Ken

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
"Standard Wildcat"...Say what????

"Standard wildcat"...Now there is an oxymoron if ever there was one!

Hmmm...lessee-

17 Mach IV
6-Dasher
30 Goodling

And if non-standard (i.e. short or tight) necks are wildcats, then include-

6BR
6PPC

Of all of them, aside from neck turning and normal case prep, the 17 Mach IV is the only one that requires more than fire forming to convert the case to the wildcat caliber. But, now that Remington is coming out with the "17 Fireball", I recon it declassifies the 17M4 as a wildcat anymore, unless the chambers aren't entirely the same (which could well be since there is no standard "SAMMI" dimensions for the 17M4, is there?).

P.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks Ken

Norm,
I have a 6mm- 284 Winchester on a Rem700 action and I like it a great deal. It is excessive powder wise (about 58gr H4831SC) and a real barrel burner, but it is a literal blast to shoot. Next time I rebarrel the rifle, I will be getting it done over with a muzzle brake.
It also has a pretty short barrel life. I inspected the barrel on mine after each prairie dog trip with a bore scope and mine was fire cracked and loaded up with copper after only 300 rounds.
I clean the heck out of it upon my return home each year, but it gets progressively worse. I think this will be its last trip before being rebarrelled. Mine sports a heavy Douglas barrel. Unfortunately Douglas will not install a brake for me, I will have to do that separately afterwards.
I had mine set up to shoot the 87gr V-Max with H4831SC, it is a good performer.
Ken

I remembered that you had built one but hadn't heard you say too much about it since. I guess the main thought is, is it worth the extra barrel erosion over say the 243AI? I guess that's a decision to be made on an individual basis. You could look at it like ordering a Vette with a V6 in it to compare the 243AI vs the 6-284! I would probably build it on a Savage action that I have so I can screw the barrels on myself, cutting some of the cost down.
The 87 VMAX is pretty spectacular in the standard 243 so I can imagine a 'dog shot with one from your 6-284. Vaporized!

Thanks much.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remembered that you had built one but hadn't heard you say too much about it since. I guess the main thought is, is it worth the extra barrel erosion over say the 243AI? I guess that's a decision to be made on an individual basis. You could look at it like ordering a Vette with a V6 in it to compare the 243AI vs the 6-284! I would probably build it on a Savage action that I have so I can screw the barrels on myself, cutting some of the cost down.
The 87 VMAX is pretty spectacular in the standard 243 so I can imagine a 'dog shot with one from your 6-284. Vaporized!

Thanks much.
If I did it again, I may have opted for the 6mmRem Improved over the 243AI simply because I prefer a bit more neck on my cases. If the 243Win AI had more neck, I would opt for it because of better brass.
Either of these two would give similar performance with less wear/tear on the barrel.
Since I am invested in brass/dies for the 6mm-284Win, I will keep using it. Yes, the fur really flies when you hit a prairie dog though, that has to count for something.:D
For a varmint rifle, I can live with Win or Rem brass.
Ken

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I think this will be its last trip before being rebarrelled.
Ken
Ken,

If there is some shank on the barrel, it may be possible to cut it back enough to engage "fresh" lands and rechamber. Since it is a PD pounder, it might be a way of squeezing a little more life outta that barrel - could be quite a bit more life, actually!;)

Just a thought!

P.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul
the interior of the entire length of barrel is firecracked in a way that I have not encountered in anything I have owned. That was just after 300 rounds.
Replacement is really the only option, this caliber {6mm-284Win} does have a short life.
Ken

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clearly, your poll needed a "both" option because EVERYBODY uses at least some factory rounds - even if it only includes a .22LR.

I'm a "both" guy, too.
Sorry Rocky, I'll keep it in mind for my next bout of winter boredom. Didn't mean to leave anyone hanging on the fence. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
My favorites,from a new member,but

I've been shooting all my life.
My #1 is and was and ALWAYS will be the .30/06 Springfield,and i like to use a Lyman mould #311284 in it,cast bullet dont'cha know!

#2-.222 Remington,so accurate and sweet...
#3-375 H&H or Whelan,it's a tossup!
#4-.30/30WCF,such a long case neck-see #1...

muzzleloaders #1 is the .54
#2 is the .40
#3 is any of the rest...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hummmm..........

If I did it again, I may have opted for the 6mmRem Improved over the 243AI simply because I prefer a bit more neck on my cases. If the 243Win AI had more neck, I would opt for it because of better brass.
Ken

That's a lot of food for thought Ken, I would surely think that barrel life on the 243AI or the 6AI would be considerably longer, though less splat factor.
Certainly something to consider when starting from scratch where one needs to buy barrel, dies and loading supplies. As you mentioned, you're already set up so you'll go ahead and do it again.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a lot of food for thought Ken, I would surely think that barrel life on the 243AI or the 6AI would be considerably longer, though less splat factor.
Certainly something to consider when starting from scratch where one needs to buy barrel, dies and loading supplies. As you mentioned, you're already set up so you'll go ahead and do it again.

Thanks for the insight.
Norm
I am not so sure splat factor will suffer any. Look into the velocity you can get from shooting 70gr Blitz Kings from a 6mm AI or 243AI. I am sure at most distances, it will be very potent medicine. Keeping the twist quick enough to handle 80-87gr bullets like the 80gr Nosler BT or 87gr V-Max will give you the option to reach farther out if you should choose to.
When I rebarrel my 6-284Win, I will be adding a good muzzle brake. The recoil of the 6-284 is substantial enough to make it hard to watch hits unless they are at longer distances.
keep me posted.
Ken

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been shooting all my life.
My #1 is and was and ALWAYS will be the .30/06 Springfield,and i like to use a Lyman mould #311284 in it,cast bullet dont'cha know!

#2-.222 Remington,so accurate and sweet...
#3-375 H&H or Whelan,it's a tossup!
#4-.30/30WCF,such a long case neck-see #1...

muzzleloaders #1 is the .54
#2 is the .40
#3 is any of the rest...
Welcome to the forum.
Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.