Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a new rifle--undecided on caliber, but 25-06 or 7MM-08 are a couple of possibilities that come to mind. I know where the Stevens can be bought for $250 new and the Rem SPS is around $419 I think.

Which of these deals would you make----the primary use will be a deer and predator/varmint type rifle. For hunting use only---Probably will be carried in truck and field more than it will be shot.

Any advice??

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really like Remington, and would say to go Remington as well.. Does the Stephens have a hinged floor plate ? That is very important to me for a hunting rifle. $250 is sure cheap for a new centerfire rifle

Clint

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
Ky. shooter--- I Have a sps in 243

and it shoots great. Got it for the kids to deer hunt with and when I was breaking it in I thought about getting one for myself. I had a 700 in 7mm-08 and loved it too. It is probally my favorite deer cal. Whatever you choose I hope it works out.

Donnie

PS Don't know nothin about the stevens

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like Remington, and would say to go Remington as well.. Does the Stephens have a hinged floor plate ? That is very important to me for a hunting rifle. $250 is sure cheap for a new centerfire rifle

Clint
Clint---I have had good luck with Remingtons as well, but have seen reviews of the Stevens in magazines and they have been pretty well favored----they do not have a floorplate, but a blind magazine. I guess I am impressed by the price tag as well, but it may be worth it to spend a couple hundred more. Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and it shoots great. Got it for the kids to deer hunt with and when I was breaking it in I thought about getting one for myself. I had a 700 in 7mm-08 and loved it too. It is probally my favorite deer cal. Whatever you choose I hope it works out.

Donnie

PS Don't know nothin about the stevens
Kermit---Is there much difference in recoil between 243 and 7-08?? This may see some use by a teenager who isn't crazy about recoil.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kermit---Is there much difference in recoil between 243 and 7-08?? This may see some use by a teenager who isn't crazy about recoil.
Quite a bit of difference.... the 7-08 has almost as much recoil as a 308.

I've built several rifles for guys with the new Stevens actions (savage really). Everyone has been happy with them.

Likely as not the Stevens is going to shoot as good or better than the Remington right out of the box.

Everyone is different, but I don't care anything about having a floor plate or not..... just something else to get scratched up!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Here's my vote

I LOVE remy's! That being said; I also am the proud owner of a Stevens model 200. I can tell you that it is a Wonderful rifle. It is not pretty. The blueing is dull the stock is ugly. The trigger is not fancy but boy oh boy will it shoot. It is pillar bedded and It is now my Go To truck and wheeler rifle. It is a 25.06 and shoots just awesome. I am of the opinion that it is the very best value out there. Since it is such a great deal a fellow could buy two calibers for the price of one Remington. Right out of the box it shot MOA with factory fodder. You ought to see the varmint loads I worked up for it. Since it is the "old" Savage 110 action you can find a nicer stock for it easy enough. I just had to go against the grain again didnt I?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I LOVE remy's! That being said; I also am the proud owner of a Stevens model 200. I can tell you that it is a Wonderful rifle. It is not pretty. The blueing is dull the stock is ugly. The trigger is not fancy but boy oh boy will it shoot. It is pillar bedded and It is now my Go To truck and wheeler rifle. It is a 25.06 and shoots just awesome. I am of the opinion that it is the very best value out there. Since it is such a great deal a fellow could buy two calibers for the price of one Remington. Right out of the box it shot MOA with factory fodder. You ought to see the varmint loads I worked up for it. Since it is the "old" Savage 110 action you can find a nicer stock for it easy enough. I just had to go against the grain again didnt I?
Great idea on the two calibers---not a bad thought.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you will be better served with the 25-06. Flat and great for Deer, varmits, you name it. My best opinion. Ghost
Ghost--it is a hard choice--- I would easily go with the 25-06, but my only hangup is I am only able to shoot a bullet weighing just 20 grains more than our 243 with 100 grainers, where I can easily go to 140's with the 7-08--- does this seem like a valid point? I know the 25-06 is a great cailiber, but I am concerned it may not be any step-up over our current 243. Any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
698 Posts
I Don't Know About The Stephens....

...but I am sure that they will be a quality product. I have a good friend that has just bought a new Remington SPS in 7-08. This rifle, while not fancy is shooting 3 shot 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo....140 grainers. The trigger has not been touched and could be lightened up a little but it still is crisp with no extra travel. This is a nice feeling field rifle. -Cliff-

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I really like the Rem. SPS of mine. It's a tough rifle and very accurate. I'd look seriously at the 7mm-08. You have a good range of bullets that will cover varmints on up to Elk. Godsdog.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have a Stevens in 223 and I love it

It is the perfect truck/atv rifle with the added bonus of being a great shooter. I put a rifle basix trigger in mine with out ever having shot the factory one, so I can't comment on that. I will say that it shoot much better than MOA for the first three shots and then heat starts to wobble them out to around 3/4 inch.

As far a caliber goes, I'd go 2506 or 243. Theres nothing wrong with the 7-08 but with the teenager in mind, I'd stick with the smaller rounds. They're only deer and they're not armor plated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts