be any advantages to multi-tapers?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Has anybody ever heard of cartridges with multiple tapers
(and shoulders)? It would probably be more expensive to
create brass and cut chambers, but I wonder if there would
be any advantages to multi-tapers?
After looking thru my references on "Cartridges of The World" and some others, about the closest thing to compound shoulders might be the Weatherby cases with their double radius.

As far as difficulty goes, a reamer is a reamer is a reamer, I recon, and fire forming is typical wildcat SOP for forming cases.

Did you have anything in mind, or just asking??

·
Registered
626 Posts
Herter's used to advertise their own "Herter's Magnums", that had a double tapered neck.. The write up in the Herter's Reloaders Manual was the same for all of their cartridges, just the caliber in the text changed, along with the data.....

I never saw any of the actual Herter's cartridges. It made for good reading though..

Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks gents

just curious. I guess form does follow function. Apparently
multiple tapers would have no function or somebody would
have adapted them by now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As said, Geo. Herter was quite proud and long winded about a cartridge (series) with multiple shoulders. Never saw one for sale, but don't pretend to be and expert on Herters business activities (just the lousy service). I Do miss the old blow hard. Amusing reading (and contradictions).

On the other hand, more reliable, there was research by a couple of "researchers" using the radius shoulder to create turbulence in the cartridge on the theory that it would at the same time, i). delay pressure rise by causing "swirling" during combustion and ii). encourage complete combustion thru the same effect(s). Names that come to mind PMVF, Powley, Miller, Venturified Freebore... This is well researched and thought of thinking in terms of internal combustion engines. CF the Chrylser (Mercedes) "hemi head". Then there is the "wedge head", don't recall the maker/promoter... I believe I read of it in Mr. Ackley's 2 volume books available from eabco.com, sinclair, ebay sometimes, etc...

Reportedly, this was behind the thinking of Mr. Weatherby and his double radius shoulder. And it has been suggested (after his death) that the 2nd radius was to make reamers harder to grind/copy (true, ask any machinist).

So, if you have the funds to fund such activity, you should experience some change. Enough to measure??? Improvement -???-???- Good question(s). Obviously not enough to be "commercially viable." luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts