Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
26° here in upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, the high for today will be up to about 36°. It will be a mostly cloudy day with a wind of 6 to 11mph, we have a winter weather advisory for tonight into tomorrow, we are to get about 4" of the white stuff.

Yesterday I spent a lot of my day cleaning out my gun room, I can actually see the top of my reloading table now. Today I plan on spending the day taaking life easy.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys...
41 and windy here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Woke up and the dog was tring to get somebody to take her out.
Melissa and Elijah went to a rodeo and didn't get in til late.
Let her out and she's back in so guess I'm up for thr day.
Tucker went squirrel hunting yesterday evening and got 2 fox and 2 grays.
1 of the fox was as big as I'd ever seen. I'll post a pic if I can. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie
Wood Art Trunk Drink Tree

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's 18, foggy and 21 later.
I have plenty of nice fat gray squirrels in my yard if anyone is interested.
My wife stayed home with friend yesterday, they had a ball sorting through the jewelry from Galen's.
I skipped out, ending up at the gunshop. The Savage Sporter I had set aside came home with me. It is nice. Hurry up nice weather so I can get outside and shoot.
In addition I found a Glenfield single shot that has seen a few hard years. It needs work and the bore has rust issues. Still, I think it shoot ok once I get it clean.
Church this morning, more pictures, this is the final day so I have to stand in front of the camera too.
Hope everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

· Registered
538 Posts
26 here as well, with rain expected later this afternoon. We may see some mixed precip here in in the hills to start but should warm up enough to be all rain through the night. Tomorrow it may turn back to a mix with some of it maybe sticking a bit. Looks like George will get the accumulating snow, hope he enjoys it! Sorry, George but I'm just not up to shoveling it just yet.
No plans for today, did some running around yesterday. I finally followed Charlie's advice from way back and bought one of those remote thermometers with the inside station so I don't have to step outside to read the old springer. It seems to read about a degree cooler than the old standby, though. Which to believe?
I did hit the LGS but didn't bring anything back. Today I'll just chill once again with my ice packs. Trying to get some uncomfortable swelling to subside, I think it's working.
Hope you all have a pleasant Sunday.
Ken

· Registered
233 Posts
29.8°, 0 mph and a skiff of snow. Tops of grass still visible. County trucks are out.
A good time at the din w games following. Meat loaf just the way l like it w bread puddin for desert. Downright tasty.
Hopefully l can get back in the shop today as its been more than a couple since my last work day.
I'm glad you said 2L Donnie. I wasn't impressed till then. I AM impressed now!
Off to church- Tom out

· Registered
2,924 Posts
31° and the ground is covered with snow this morning. We are only supposed to get around an inch so it should be about done, if the predictions are correct. Spent most of yesterday in the garage. Afterward, I was too beat to even do any reloading. Not sure what the day will bring. I don’t want to get too far from the stove right now but I will probably head to the basement and start sorting my last 2 buckets of wheel weights. My brother-in-law took some of it home with him last week and he sent me this picture last night.
Gas Font Circle Metal Audio equipment

Looks like JR found a whale of a deal on some powder yesterday. I don’t know where that place is but I’m guessing you would need a time machine to get there. If my memory serves me correctly, the cheapest I ever bought powder was $8 a pound. I have some of Dad’s old receipts around here somewhere. I might dig those out and see what things were going for back in the 70’s.
Looks like Donnie has found some B&C trophy-sized squirrels. We have a lot of squirrels around here nowadays, rabbits too. I think the main reason is because there are fewer dogs running loose.
Prayers up for Mike’s brother and those in need. Make it a good day.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Currently we are seeing a dusting of snow but with the temperature at 31.8° it's not likely to accumulate or stick for long here near HalfwayUSA. The high will be 33° as cloud cover continues.

It's been a very busy time since Friday morning. I visited the probate court while in Grayling on Friday & turned in the documents to sell old hunting partner's house. Picked up a copy of the local paper so I have proof I posted a public notice to old hunting partner's creditors. There should not be any outstanding bills as I've been very thorough about paying things as they've come in.

Deb & went to his house to retrieve the last of anything that can be considered valuable. There wasn't much to start with & there we didn't "find" much to bring home. Pretty much anything left is suitable for a dumpster & that will be (as agreed) the buyer's problem. For the record, I will be helping him remove things & clean out the house as we both agree it is in our mutual best interest. He's a good guy and eager to buy the house and I want to keep it that way.

While on the way home I got a call from the probate court. Much to my surprise, the judge had already reviewed the documents and only had a simple request. I needed to contact the other heirs and have them state specifically that they "Do Not Object to the sale of the house & property."

When I got home, I composed a carefully worded email and explanation what they had to do. Even though they had said they had no objection previously. It was a simple matter of satisfying a judge. I received a reply from everyone by 9pm. It's good to have a cooperative group of people all looking to achieve the same goal.

Saturday morning I compiled the emails, typed out a letter to the judge and sent it off in the mail. Hopefully, I will hear back from the probate court by Monday afternoon or Tuesday. I must say, so far the probate court has been very cooperative.

Chores around the house a caught up. Deb & I did some purging and gathering of stuff that will go when we have our own rummage sale in May. Hopefully some of old hunting partner's things will sell too.

Today, I'm going to run the angle grinder with a wire wheel. I need to clean up the stainless grill plate from the gas grill. It's gotten way too "used" looking. I also have a 10" Wagner skillet with lid that needs attention.

The skillet belonged to old hunting partner. It has DECADES of his cooking built up on it - mostly the outside. I recall at deer camp he'd raise hell if ANYONE tried to clean his fry pan. Well, no disrespect here but it's TIME TO CLEAN THE CRUD off of it.(y)

Edit to add. JR has been harassing me already this morning. Says I need to visit a Cast Iron Woman in Kentucky. We all know that is a troublesome thought.

For the record - here's the "before pics" of old hunting partner's Wagner cast iron skillet. Note - that yellow brown color on the outside is eggs. :oops:

Wood Gas Cooking Bottle Metal

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Frying pan Wood Gas

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. -5 this morning, only high 20s today. That's as warm as it got yesterday too. Looks like maybe snow for most of the week...we'll see.
Didn't do much yesterday, looked around for coyotes but couldn't hit nuffin. Did see four though. Took my AR in and cleaned it, maybe that will help, probably not.
Bossman and crew moved another bunch of cows to fresh clean up pasture, should keep them happy for a few weeks.
Better get around to do chores, and get ready for church. Have a blessed Lords' day, give Him praise and thanks for all we have.
Prayers for those with health issues and other problems.
GOD BLESS. Dean

Saw the temp drop to -11 while out doing chores!!!

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 28 here with a little frost on the ground. Pretty chilly. Headed to 42 with rain later. Possible snow to the north. Hope it stays there.

Yesterday I went to the farm and cut up some trees that had fallen in the field during wind storms. A big black walnut and some ash. The walnut was hollow and splintered. Some decent firewood in it but not much for knife scales. Nothing fancy anyway. The old guy was happy, now he doesn't have to mow around em. But he pissed me off. There's 2 white oaks that blew down. I had told him I'd get them several times. Anyway, he said, just leave them be, they're not in my way. Then he said "I'll call Tom and see if he wants some oak." Oh well, I got plenty of my own trees to fool with.

Saw kicked back and whacked my shin pretty good yesterday. Got a nice bruise today. Knee has been giving me issues as well. Have an orthopedic appointment in Feb. See what they say. Not doing much today, that's for sure. Some reloading will be done later, and going to dinner with the kids for Lillie's birthday later.

Have a good one

Charlie

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 35* and a mist of rain, just right for some ice or snow. The Country Store wasn't to busy yesterday, gravel and hay were the big sellers. After work the LGS had put out a real nice Ruger MKII 22/45 with the box and all the paper work for a real reasonable price, I put it on lay away. I fixed Kate some french toast for breakfast, time to get ready for church. Have a good one today. God Bless,

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 41º and cloudy here headed for 46 and rain forecast for the afternoon.

Yesterdays big event was the fish fry that BIL put on at the Deer Club. All of the guys that stay with him and those with campers in his yard were there with their Wifes and a few brought their kids. Some of them brought guns and shot at the little range that we have behind the cabin. My Granddaughter, the Gymnast shot some for the first time. I may need to put a 22 rifle in the budget soon! We had a fire in the yard and the weather was mild enough that we sat around it to eat. A good time was had by all!

Todays plan includes nothing! I'll probably prime that 223 brass that I've been working on. I haven't decided if I'll set the Dillon up or load them on the RockChucker.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country. Special prayers for Kentucky Fisherman's Brother. Also hoping you Kentucky boys miss that possible ice storm.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good Morning,
My usual weather report 72 headed to upper 70's Bright and Sunny ☀.
A little sore this morning while I was driving home yesterday on Center St out of the blue this beautiful F 250-350 decided to floorboard the gas , diesel and come over into my lane without any warning. I didn't have any place to go but lock up the brakes to prevent a accident. Well it threw me in to the steering wheel I know I didn't have my belt on. This morning chest and side of face is sore . I did a little investigation work last night and found who the driver was from MA . Amazing what a little bit of information what you can reveal. Hopefully we will cross paths as he is involved with the same type of hounds I'm involved with along the Mid Atlantic.
Other than that it's a peaceful morning.
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and safe.
HHH

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Good morning gents. Snowing big wet flakes and 30 on the south side of Indy. Been snowing all morning but has gotten a little more serious about it in the last hour or so. Great day to be indoors.

Probably load some regular p doggin’ .223 and start processing some .204 brass today. I may not need the .204 ammo this year but the brass is taking up too much space. I’d prefer it taking up space as loaded ammo.

Looks like the snow has stopped for now. Radar says more may be coming. We might have an inch.

Have a good day.

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 40 and headed to 44 today for the high. Not much accomplished yesterday, had a buddy come down and pick up some books I ordered online for him. I burnt a bunch of boxes from out in the shop. Had to go chase a steer down that was trying his dangdest to eat a 2x4' sheet of plastic that had blow into the field, I finally got hold of it and pulled about a foot of it out of his throat. A cow ingesting plastic is a dead cow, it gets into their guts an winds around and around, have had 2 die that way over the past 30 years. I have come to believe a steer is the dumbest animal on the planet. Prayerss for KFs and anyone else needing them, church in a few, Buff out.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. Another grey day, about 30F and we got about 1.5 inches of snow overnight. It has stopped for now, and hope we don't get any more. The snow and cold motivated my wife to make a big pot of oatmeal for breakfast. Sure tasted good with some frozen blueberries in it. No big plans for today, just the usual. The weather guessers are saying maybe 4-5" of snow for Wednesday, but hope it goes elsewhere. That is the day for a highway trip to see my oncologist. Be safe and keep warm.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Good Lord's Day, GoGo. At 1018 it's 33 in Louisville, going to 40. We dodged the weather bullet and got big, fluffy, slushy snow instead of ice. Thank you, Lord. The snow quit around 9 this morning. Hard to say how much there is/was because when it hit the ground it started turning to slush. Just a few degrees colder and we could have had a problem.

I'll start out by reporting that my brother got home from the hospital yesterday and seems fine. Thanks for your prayers. Early Friday he had an on-demand pacemaker installed. About the size of the last joint of your little finger, he said, and they slide it up the femoral artery in your thigh all the way to just inside your heart. At least that's what I understood. I think they have some way of installing some leads from that thing to a couple other spots on/in the heart. That rig just sits there, monitoring heart rhythm and if your heart falters or stops it gives it a few pops to re-establish the rhythm. He's luck he passed out on an old, little-used gravel road instead of while he was going 60 on the highway. The doc told him that after he heals up a few days, there are no restrictions on his driving or other activities. Again, thanks so much for your prayers.

For several months in 2022 y'all had to put up with me describing and yammering about a project to take some beautiful spalted maple boards and make a "river table" tabletop for Miss Cindy to mount on an old Singer sewing machine base. That project got finished maybe 3 months ago, so I thought I'd post a few final photos. I had to learn about squaring board edges with a handheld electric planer, jointing/gluing the boards together, how to clamp without letting the boards bow up, and stuff like that. Also bought a hand router to put a curve around that top edge (man, there's a learning curve there!). Since this was spalted wood and our humidity here runs high, I got some nasty cracks right down the middle of this piece. I could have cut out the bad section and added a different board, but I decided to take the opportunity to fill the crack with tinted epoxy before covering the whole top with a thicker layer of epoxy. With some tips from John Beauchamp (the Professor), it all turned out fairly well. These pictures don't really show off the blue streak the best, but you'll be able to get the idea.
Table Wood Flowerpot Interior design Serveware

Table Wood Dishware Orange Serveware
Wood Table Flooring Floor Wood stain

I intended to top coat Skruske's ax sheath yesterday, but it didn't happen. That carried over to today's list. I think that project got bumped by the 2-4 p.m. basketball game between Kentucky and Texas A&M. Kentucky ended up winning by 9, I think, but it was a much closer game until the last couple of minutes. A&M was 5-0 in its SEC games and looking to bump off the legendary UK. Real good game to watch.

Y'all have a good'n, don't let any chain saws get away from you (Charlie!), and lift up prayers for our friends here and for our nation. I have a strong feeling that our nation is gonna need even more prayers in 2023 than it did in 2022.

Y'all have a

· Registered
2,924 Posts
Wow ! That’s a nice-looking table Mike. Our snow is still falling. It was 2.5” an hour ago when I shoveled the driveway. Marty went to her sister’s house early this morning and is stranded for now. She has to come down a couple of big hills to get back here so I’m supposed to call her when they clear the roads.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Wow ! That’s a nice-looking table Mike. Our snow is still falling. It was 2.5” an hour ago when I shoveled the driveway. Marty went to her sister’s house early this morning and is stranded for now. She has to come down a couple of big hills to get back here so I’m supposed to call her when they clear the roads.
Your wife is stranded because of 3" of snow? And the "big hills" she has to maneuver are downhill? Hmmph! I detect a definite lack of training on your part, Carl. Just so you know, the training problem isn't yours alone, I have to force my wife to light, adjust, and extinguish our kero wick lamps at least once a week in the winter, and she struggles to retain that training, bless her. God help us if she tried to run the Aladdin lamps.

That said, she understands my obsession for having a deep stack of beans and bullets and rarely pushes back when I propose purchases of those items. And she's learned to detach ticks and dress my wounds, even the gnarly ones. And she loves me, which I will never understand. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts