Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
24° here in Upstate NY with freezing rain coming down, the high temperature for today will be getting up to about 34°. We are under a winter weather advisory with 80% chance for rain, sleet and freezing rain.

Yesterday was a decent day we got some sun and the wind died down. I did quite a bit of genealogy work which I tend to do during the winter months. I found some information on my Mothers Grandmother which I hadn't been able to find before. Today I don't know what I will be doing other than taking it easy.

Gabriel, if you were referring to me about shotguns I will tell you that you sold the best one made. I haven't no use for the new ones with plastic stocks all.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's cold, again. 0 degrees. Yesterday the south wind brought the high temperature to 30 degrees, then the wind changed north west and another Canadian clipper blew in.
Church this morning and take it easy this afternoon.
Yesterday I rebedded my rifle with newer compound. It turned out ok. We had dinner at Red Lobster with my wife's oldest son and his wife. It was noisy and hard to have a conversation.
Hoping everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
What a difference a day makes. It’s 43° here this morning and pouring rain. Helped A friend with a small job yesterday, followed by a good visit with my Mom and sisters. Messed around in the basement awhile and loaded 100 rounds of 45ACP’s. I don’t have a Dillon shellplate for the 45’s so all of the loading was done on the Rockchuckers. It made me realize how spoiled I am with the Dillon. I still have a few hundred more to go and hope to finish them today.
Bruce mentioned yesterday that he had some ancient Unique and Bullseye powders. Probably the old cardboard cylinders made back when they were “Hercules” brand. I don’t have anything that old but I noticed some of my Hodgdon canisters say “Quality Propellants for Over 50 Years”. Then they changed it to “60 Years”. Now they just say “Since 1947”.
Liquid Tin Bottle Fluid Automotive tire

Came home yesterday to find that my younger son has stored his most recent online auction purchase in my basement. That boy is full of surprises and I’m afraid to look inside of it.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Automotive design Bicycle wheel rim

Make it a good day.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good Morning from the ☀ shores of Medico in Venice Florida not Italy. 64 degrees headed to 83 . Nothing else going on woke up coughing decided to just get up . Everyone have a great day and stay safe.
JW

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good Sunday morning all. 38 here and will drop thru the night to a cold 20 by morning, little rain overnight. Slow day for me some domestic work and that's it. Highlight of yesterday was a three-hour visit with my sister when she dropped by. Be safe Prayers to all, special for Sam's surgery and this great country. Mike

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We have 34 degrees and going nowhere from there if they are right. It seems we had a little drizzle as the concrete pad out the door is slick as a whistle.I’m betting there’ll be little traffic on our dirt road this morning as when they built it 100 years ago they put in twice as much ditch as roadway.

·
Administrator
13,020 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 29 with a glaze of ice her this morning. Looks like more rain/ice on the way for sure. I need to work on the 4 wheeler winch, get battery in snow blower tractor and gas it and the smaller blower up. Good day for inside work.

Guy looked at the boat yesterday. Wants to wait a bit until it warms up so he can have his mechanic take a look at it. Seemed to really like it. Said he looked at a lot of junk so far and my boat is in great shape.

I FINALLY found some DEER yesterday. Unfortunately they were moving early and I bumped about 5-6 of them before I saw them. Then I got into my stand and the neighbor pushed 4 more out. I missed TWICE.😳 In my defense, both times were over 100 yards. Not an easy shot for a rock lock. I found no blood but did find coyote tracks. I'll be back in a few weeks with the call. I saw 3 more fawns at dark.. way too far, the front bead site covered them up.

Well I need to get some coffee and breakfast in me. Bloodqork tomorrow. No eggs, just oatmeal.

Prayers sent for Sam's surgeon and Ole Sam. Hope they get it right. My kids are doing well with the Rona. Thanks for the prayers. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
Mornin boys..
Looks like it's 33 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Ground is still white here but the roads are clear. Picked.up a couple lbs of powder yesterday...just cause...lol. Probably won't get into much today. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
morning all. 22 with a dusting of snow this morning, didn't see that coming! High in the mid 30s with breezes again.
Slept in again, feeling better this morning, coughing though. Hope to kick this crud soon. In-laws are really sick with it now.
Worked on the tractor but still can't find the oil leak under the cab, nasty mess there!!!
Also spent time working on FILs nasty, rusty, mousey shotgun. Got the barrel and receiver cleaned up as much as I can,
has some nasty rust pits that will just have to be there. Now to clean the internal parts.
Have a great Lords' day, praise and worship to Him for all we have. Prayers for those with health issues and others. Sam with surgery. ect.
Church on the couch after chores are done.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
48 with rain in the hollow this morning. All the snow left during the night as it rained from around midnight on and will continue most of the day. Creeks and low places are flooding, but we are on high ground. I did a couple of hours with gun club paperwork for the annual meeting on Monday night. That was about it. I even watched a little TV in the afternoon, something I never do. I have an orientation at the range this morning so I'll be out in the rain shortly. Eyesight is clearing up and I can almost read this page without reading glasses. Also, it's pretty cool to see at distances without glasses, something I haven't done in almost 65 years.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 64º and raining here. The rain should be gone in a few hours and the wind will pick up and it will start to get cooler. Thunder woke me up about 4:00 this morning when the rain started.

We had light rain on and off yesterday and I stayed busy keeping a fire going for Nettie and Missy, the Wife and the Cat. In-between I tumbled more brass. Nettie did help me move everything that I tumbled last week out to the storeroom and get it put away. Love that Girl!

If the rain moves out this morning like its forecast to do the Wife wants to go to Hot Springs and see the Grandkids. Except for the construction on I-30 its a pretty easy drive but I don't want to make it in a hard rain. I-30 is like a magnet for idiots!

Loading 9mm; I guess I'm old school, I use mostly Unique and WW231. I shoot mostly a 125gr TC type bullet that I cast or something jacketed in the same weight range.

Wishing Sam Luck with his surgery. Thats tomorrow, right? Will be praying for you.

Prayers also offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Howdy, GGVG'ers.....11 degrees when I went to bed last night but woke up to 22 this morning. We've got freezing rain now at 26 degrees, icing up the minute it hits the ground, even over the melter I put on the walk. Up to a near a 1/4" of ice is possible today. Roads are slick as I found out when I went to the shop to get the wood stove going there. Got the stove cranking here, too.
Good day to stay home and tinker in the basement on either clay target loads or fishing stuff. Or maybe just plug in a good movie and make some popcorn and the hell with the cold basement stuff.
Hope you all stay warm and dry today and hopefully, none of will soon need what Carl's son parked in his basement.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Great morning folks,

32.1° with cloud cover & winds are increasing as a cold front passes the state here near HalfwayUSA.

Yesterday's early low has gradually fadded away to 34.5° by early evening. Now the reversal is occurring again. 32.1° now and it will continue to fall to about 9° late tonight.

I am not sure what Debra Dearest has in mind for today. I do believe she is going to want to get out of the house. I'd just as soon spend quality time at the reloading bench.

Came home yesterday to find that my younger son has stored his most recent online auction purchase in my basement. That boy is full of surprises and I’m afraid to look inside of it.

Make it a good day.
CarlP that is a damnbig rifle case. I bet you can get 15 rifles in that thing.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Good morning brothers and sisters. It's a soggy 41 in Indy which beats the heck out of the ice-covered 30 we had last night. I was up about 5:00 and checked the driveway for ice. It was not frozen so I went back to bed. Hit the half order of biscuits and gravy joint and now I'm ready for a nap. Julie is supposed to shoot in a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation event at an indoor range on the northside this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, I heard they had a person shot at that range so we don't know if they're open or not. Don't know the circumstances but the place near us had a guy rent a gun then whack himself a while back. Between that and the accidental/negligent shootings, the indoor ranges are getting less attractive. On that note, I'd better load some 9mm...............

Have a good day.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 45 in Louisville and staying right around there until it drops tonight. I haven't stuck my head out, but the radar shows some rain still lingering. Most of it is well south of us, down around the Tennessee border.

Watched a pretty good UK basketball game last night. Georgia hung with 'em in the first half, but pretty early in the second the Cats blew the train whistle and took off. Ended up winning by 20 points or better, I think. Playing well together and look like they're having fun. That big man they got from the Congo appears to be the real deal.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for the needs here and for our nation. Let's remember Sam especially.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you load it like my safe, I bettin closer to 40-45 rifles and couple dozen handguns.
I already know what he has in mind for it. I kinda like it myself. If you hold an all-you-can-eat Barbecue it cuts down on the amount of meat you need to bring. Then when you kick out, he just chunks the expanded metal and there you go. Most people just use them once and stick it in the ground. That boy is thinking…. I hope it’s not a used one..:eek:

Plant Tree Wood Food Cooking

Supposed to get cold again today. Wish this weather would make up it’s mind here. Mostly just wished it would get wet. Rain, snow, ice…. Whatever. As long as it goes in the ground.

Sam….were all praying for you.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We had a guy years ago on the DFD that had a casket for his bed at home; He used it every night at home. He was a bachelor; no surprise there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Morning guys. 2 degrees here when I got up. The sun is out and it is supposed to make it to the mid 20s and I hope its enough to melt some of the ice we got a week ago. Today I need to cover the bushes around the house. The stinking deer are mowing them off.

Doug, a few years ago there was a fatality at a local range. The first thing the deputies did was to confiscate all the guns that were there which I can understand. Later I heard the bullet came from the deceased persons own gun.

Have a good one guys.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Kinda slow today. Still fighting my dull headache, and think some of that is all the rainy weather and cool weather. Not much planned today. Just taking it easy, trying to rid of the headache. Maybe try to watch a movie and do the crossword puzzles.

Best wishes for Sam and his surgery tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Al.ost noontime greetings from the Soggy Sticks of Kentucky. 48° rain all day, head back down to 19° tonight late.
Oh. HHH, I see its 39° in Venice Italy today so maybe you better stay where you are in Venice Fl.
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

It is very muddy; I drove into one field in my 4WD truck and almost never got back out of it. Geo is parked for a while.
Tire Automotive tire Human body Jaw Sculpture

Field test for 5 year old Muck boots passed today. These boots Still Don't LEAK. I have an almost New pair I bought for $30 at the 127 yard sale trip this year with Skruske.

That Gun Safe is a real looker Carl, maybe the boy is gonna use it for a spare bedroom if his wife kicks him out. Bar B Q grill??? Nope not me.

Those indoor firing ranges can be dangerous places. Jesse swore off on those when he was at Ft. Bragg....said there were Way too many Tacticool Idiots there. He always like to shoot his target and walk out, as they stood there open mouthed.

Judy Brown may want a Pizza for lunch so I better ask.
Yall have a safe day and Sam we are all thinking of you tomar. If prayers help, you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts