Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
49° here in Upstate NY this morning under mostly cloudy skies but the stars are out, the high temperature will be getting up to about 59° today. It will be a cloudy day with the clouds increasing with a mild wind of about 6 to10mh.

Yesterday Rusty and I hunted for six hours, and it was a wonderful but tiring day. When you are walking through brush, briars and Popple patches it wears you down and I was worn out when we finished our day. Not much luck yesterday as it still thick but it will get better as the season goes along. Today I am going to stay home as I have to get the yard mowed and such.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
An even 50 here at the starting line with some gusts of wind out there. The old bladder alarm went off a bit earlier than usual so figured I might as well start the day. We have an event at the the club today; the blustery conditions should make things interesting.
Went to the LGS yesterday to look around. Some powder on the shelves, mostly Hogdon 1 pounders. He did have 2 eight pounders, 1 each of 2400 and Bullseye but with them priced in the low 3's, it was an easy pass for me. Don't need them anyway. I did swallow hard and grabbed a pound each of 3031 and H4350 for insurance for the future. Some Cheddite shotshell primers were seen but no metallic primers at all, unless he had them in the back room. I didn't ask.

George, good to see you and Rusty had a fun day, even if the birds didn't cooperate. I was noticing "birdy" covers as I drove along yesterday and though of you guys out there pounding through it. I'm sure Rusty enjoyed it as much as you did! I'm sure you'll do better on your next trip.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's another nice day weather wise. Some clouds in the area, high about 70. No gunshow yesterday as I was reading the location wrong. I wasn't going to drive 125 miles to a smaller show. So, we hit some rummage sales. My wife got a nice curio cabinet.
Today is church and staying home resting.
Hope everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
54° here at work and it was a nice drive in this morning. Saw a few deer, a couple raccoons and one squished possum. Went straight from work last night to my daughter-in-law’s birthday party. She’s a mighty sweet young lady and they have a good bunch of friends who stuck around long after I left. The little ones were happy to have other little folks to play with and the bare spot of dirt, in the back corner of their yard, was a big hit with the little boys and their toy cars.
I‘m only going to be here for 8 hours today so a trip to the range might be in order. However, if the wind is anything like last night, I will just spend the evening at the reloading bench.

I was reminded of JR last night. I saw some pictures taken on my son’s father-in-law’s property of a mama bobcat and 3 little ones. He allows his son and both of his son-in-laws to hunt on the farm but made it very clear that if anyone shoots a bobcat, their hunting privileges will be revoked.

Prayers offered. Make it a good day.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 46º and clear here headed for the low 80's.

Yesterday morning my oldest Son came over and helped me work in the garage. I had about a dozen ammo cans full of lead that he set on the bottom shelf of my work bench and we disassembled the old top from my loading bench. In the recent move I found a 20mm ammo can that I had forgot about and we loaded it with tow straps, snatch block and other winching type stuff for my Polaris. We quit in time to watch Alabama walk all over the Razorbacks. :mad: They couldn't get anything going.

As soon as I get off of here me and the oldest Son are headed for Deer Camp to check feeders and cameras. Not much else going on for today.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It's 49 here in western Ky headed for 78. with SUN&WIND.
There is not even a cloud in the forecast for the next week.
Sprinklers running everyday, to protect my newly over seeded
yard. I hope I can get BRANDON to forgive my water bill. I think
I have killed my last Armadillo for the summer. I have got 7 so far,
with 10:30 being the earliest and 3:45 being the lasted. They have
ruined my nights sleep for most of the summer. I'm still in need of
IMR 4756 powder. Yall have a goodun. LDS

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Great morning folks,

A little bit of a breeze with 47° and 60° for today's high here near HalfwayUSA. Yesterday was again, really nice outside.

Lots of small tasks got done yesterday. Some brass was tumbled, the door lock on the camper was adjusted so the door would close & latch proper. I made more sawdust & wood chips to get the axe handle shaped.

It's about 90% done, just have to shape the pommel then fit the head to the handle.

Scale Blue Wood Tool Hand tool

We stopped at the local Ford dealer - no new vehicles were brought home - Deb needed them to reset the onboard computer so she could become the new owner of the electronics. They did not charge her for that bit of wizardry.;)
I tried to schedule a transmission service for my fat truck but that dept wasn't open so that will be taken care of later this week.

We also visited a large rummage sale on the way home. Nothing I couldn't live without even though a lot of stuff was free. Deb came away with a couple yard trinkets.

Not sure what mischief I'll be into today but likely more alone time with an axe. I think I will use some stove polish to blacken the head.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good Morning everyone, 59 headed to 69 . They are calling for rain and more rain which is every welcome. I believe the weatherman says rain until Tuesday night. 😁.
Yesterday I went and checked on the boat it is on blocks and jacks . I was making sure the covers were still on it and all was good. This boat was setting in a wide open spot and we had winds 50 mph+ and sustained winds in the 40's .
Then we went to the famous Cockrells seafood restaurant and our old neighbor met us there. They ran up to the church and purchased German food the church was doing a cook out and making German food to sell . Bratwurst, potato salad and sauerkraut was the meal . We had our usual fried flounder fish . While setting there I watched a young lad catch 3 nice rockfish in the creek .
Yesterday I rode over to Deltaville picked up 2 gallons of antifouling paint. I'm going to paint the bottom of the boat while it is out of the water and ordered some 3 M 80 grit sanding disc from Amazon.
Not sure what is planned for today we did clean up blown tree limbs yesterday afternoon and piddled in the yard.
Everyone have a great day stay safe and comfortable enjoy your weekend.
HHH
Additional information:
Picture this morning of the main road coming in to the subdivision. The Myakka River crested this morning . Picture is 8:30 this morning.
Water Sky Cloud Water resources Natural landscape

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 53 here, probably won't change much. Some gusty winds and rain moving thru. Was drizzling last night most of the night. We got out of the gun drawing at 9pm and home just before 10. Not too bad. Made a couple bucks for the boat fund.

Not sure what's on tap for today. Ash tree fell in the yard, so I need to cut it up. Need to prep the boat parking spot. Make it a little bigger so I can back it off the pavement a little. May make an RK run tonreturn the Jack's mom got me ard get beefier ones. This boat is heavy!

First off is coffee, then a shower. Felt good to sleep in today. Mayvget a nap later too.

Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Mornin boys...
53 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Slep in this morning...and I liked it...lol
First time that's happened in a long time.
Kinda sore from the deer stuff yesterday.
Not sure what we'll get into but I'm sure it's not going to be much. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie
Grass Terrestrial plant Plant Tail Tree frog

Pic of both...not a gooden but...lol

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Good morning. It's 56 in Indy heading for 72. Already hit the pancake joint, car wash, and filled up the F150. 36 gallon tank was down to 1/4 but I only had to pay $3.97 a gallon so the fill up was barely over $100. Did I forget to say thanks Brandon?

No golf today. Maybe a quick trip to the indoor range to try out a different 9mm load. Had a few stove-pipes at the range Friday so I turned up the wick a little under some "new profile" Hoosier 124s. Should resolve the issue.

Choot 'em Tucker! If you don't, somebody else will.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 53 in Louisville, going to 74, and sunny. Should be a gorgeous early fall day.

Scott, I am in love with that ax, and I don't even chop wood. If by pommel you mean a decorative fitting for the end of the handle, would something like this work? Don't know if this is quite big enough, but maybe. Here's a link to the website. They also make a bear head pommel. Downside is that I think this is on the Chinese version of Etsy or Ebay. Still, some of those outfits have U.S. partners and warehouse some products stateside.
Product Font Silver Jewellery Metal

George, it sounds like you and Rusty got off to a good start in the thickets. I bet you both slept soundly last night.

Y'all have a good Lord's Day, be safe handling axes, and say a prayer for our friends here and for our nation. Special prayers for hurricane-ravaged Florida. The photos are terrible.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
morning all. 37 with high 60s and 70% chance of wet stuff, little shower last night.
Won't be any baling today and maybe all week if the forecast is correct, hope not!!!. A week of dry weather would be nice for finishing up
haying around here.
More was done yesterday, lots of bales around in several fields that need stacked.
Sprinklers checked, chores done, time to get cleaned up for church. Hope to work on a couple guns this afternoon, may need a nap too though.
Have a great Lords' day, give Him praise and thanks for all we have. Prayers for those in need and with health issues.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
GM from the sticks of Kentucky where we have a breezy day. Very breezy but it aint snowin.
Not any Gun Shows, Ammo Stores, Yard Sales or Grouse Hunts to report on....y'all having all the Fun.
I did replace my water line for cow water tank back in the ground today after I put a new elbow on it. Siliconed it good yday and let it dry good, so Now they can Bust it again.
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Glove Trunk

@hedgehoghunter sure knows the good spots to eat. I believe I might have hurt myself at that German place....Nothing like That around Here.
I have been informed that Judy Brown is on the way Here...I ran the Dishwasher, and washed up a crock pot so she wouldn't have dirty dishes stacked up. Reason she's comin back is she has an Event tomorrow where she donated a quilt to Auction for some cause. They have FOOD but I doubt if I attend.
Otis the Kat was a "no show" for breakfast. He came in yesterday and was very Grumpy with everyone....I figure he was tired? Gone Back OUT.
@CarlP I let a neighbor deer hunt here but he know the Rules about Bobcats. He took photos last year of 3 hanging around a deer feeder...Squirrel feeder I say.
@was skruske is gonna turn into a Viking with that wild looking AX. I like it, but he still needs that Plasma cutter.
Have a safe day and @kogersamuel i will bring you some snares in a few days and pass along some secrets. They will be "cheap."
Have a safe day folks.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
45 with clear skies at sunrise and moving toward the mid 70s in the hollow. My days are off since the vacation, yesterday felt like Sunday and I don't know what today feels like. I started late and got in some stretching before filling a couple of orders that came in too late for Friday. My creaky old bones are getting harder to loosen up in the morning, but after I get moving I'm OK. I have to force myself to do stretching exercises 3-4 times per week, but I feel much better after. I have more orders for today, but they are few and tomorrow will be the rescheduled route. I did get 2/3s of the grass mowed yesterday and might get the rest today, but I have a car maintenance job to tackle first. I need to change a headlight bulb and it seems you have to dismantle nearly the entire front end to get it done. I found a video that's close, but this car is 18 years old, so some instructions are hard to find. Since the charge for having it done is in the neighborhood of $200 I think I'll try and figure it out.
Baaaad Axe for Michigan Scott ;)

G'day Y'all
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Well I’m having an off day. All the grandkids were here yesterday. Last came in about 9:30 last night. Had all the beds full, the divan’s full and the floors were crowded,…lol.
Everyone got ready for church and then I had to get to feeling bad. I sent them all off and I’ll try to rest a little before they get back.
Got a little bookwork done yesterday morning, so at least that’s out of the way.
Was hoping to get the little 250-3000 shot this afternoon, but don’t think that will happen, unless son gets a few rounds down it. I hate to send a gun off without checking it out.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts