Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, GoGo. At O Dark Early it's 24 in Louisville, dry, supposed to be sunny later. Pretty much a copy of yesterday.

Up early to go sit a deer stand again this morning. Saw four does yesterday and would have popped one, but just never quite had a shot. Teasers. Maybe today.

Yesterday afternoon the Louisville football Cardinals beat the Wolfpack handily. At the same time, I was watching the University of Kentucky playing the Dogs. I had predicted Georgia would score in the 40s and the Cats would get maybe 10. I was badly wrong as the Cats acquitted themselves quite well and only lost 16-6. That's plenty respectable against the #1 team in the country. The Cats' defense showed up for real and held the Dogs on 4th down and a yard plays at least twice, maybe three times. Surprising and unexpected.

That's about all I've got for this morning. You all have a good Lord's Day, be safe, and lift up prayers for our ailing friends here and for our nation. Special prayers for Mr. Jerry and may God grant him a special place on the River of Life that's well stocked with fat trout.

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
24° here in Upstate NY this morning under clear cold starry skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 28°. It will be a mostly sunny day with a 10 to 18mph wind and we will have gusts up to 30mph.

Yesterday was a peaceful but fairly busy day here at home for me. I spent part of the day doing some gun work on one of my rifles, I spent time thinking about what I want to do personally for 2023 and the gun club. Today I am hopefully just spending the day taking life easy. A couple of my friends got decent bucks but there wasn't much shooting going on here.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 20, snow showers just passed by, high of 30. Busy yesterday, picked up food in the morning along with stuff for the ex. It was his birthday so I got him a nice take out meal, fixed burned out lights and talked about getting more light into his tiny living space. I will have post pictures sometime so you can visualize how he lives.
It was 5:30 when we got home. We were too tired to even watch TV.
Today is Sunday, I checked, so church and a nap, I think.
How everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Mornin boys...
27 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Nothing but a yote was harmed yesterday.
It was about as quite a opener as I've heard. Just wasn't many shots fired all day. I did see a pretty gooden but he was across the line fence. It was cold and the wind was pretty bad for here. The yote had about the best fur as I'd seen in a long time on 1 of the useless things.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
454 Posts
25 here at the kickoff off my Sunday. Might make it to freezing, they say, and we'll have a wind all day. Good day to tend the wood stove but I think my girls will gladly handle that chore. They love the heat it throws. So do the cats; sometimes I think they've been anchored there. They each have their spots around it.
I'll probably tinker with my ice fishing sled, got some ideas rollin' around in the ole noggin to try. Hard water fishing is still a long way off but I'm a procrastinator so I have to pick at it to get it done.
Hope you all have a restful and enjoyable day.
Ken

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Once again it's a great morning everyone,

We begin with a very crisp 13.4° and a mostly clear sky here near HalfwayUSA. With a clear sky & sunshine later we may get to 25°.

First off, thank you all or y'all or all y'all as it may be ;) for the kind words & direct messages.

Despite crappy roads, I made it to Grayling by about 10am & set about doing the things that needed to be done. I'd made a list the night before & checked off a lot of tasks. Good news is the deputy secured the house & garage and I saw nothing that concerned me when I entered. I gathered up the keys & documents as well as his last firearm. I spent some time getting trash bagged up & removing the perishables from the refrigerator.

Jerry passed away the way he wanted to. No fuss, no vigil and to not burden ANYONE while he died alone. We all should be so fortunate to not need to be hospitalized, in hospice care and without palliative measures. I've been involved in end of life care for a few people... "slipping away" is far better. He also wanted no big fuss after his died - simple cremation & buried in a cemetery plot with a short memorial service. As we I go forward administering the terms of his will, I will follow through with those things in mind.

FB asked if he had any family, Yes he has a one daughter still alive, four grand children & three nieces. He had a rather unusual family dynamic to say the least. Lots of troubled people around him & he generously help them financially to the point of nearly bankrupting himself. He preferred to live a humble & simple life.

One important detail that can now be told. He was part of the Nuclear Navy and part of "Operation Hardtack" in 1958. He was aboard an ocean going tug that was steaming into the blast zones shortly after detonation to retrieve data measuring equipment. I got to hear stories at deer camp that most folks will never know about.

Hunting, fishing, golf & bluegrass music were his passion and if you had any of those things in common, Jerry became your friend.

Well, my tasks today will be to run the snow blower around. Try to get the camper off the truck if the wind remains reasonable. There will be more things to do for Jerry's estate over the next few days.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Good morning folks from high atop, but on the leeward side of a cold ass windy mountain. Do I really need a bear this much? It's 18 and blowing 20 steady, gust to 30 maybe. I could be home, curled up in bed. We hunted yesterday afternoon and I saw and could have killed 2 grouse. George knows, they always put something between you when they fly. These didn't. Straight away, wide open. First grouse I've seen in years. No bears were harmed by us or the locals who stopped th chat. Maybe they'll drie today?

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Only 19° here this morning And I. Looking forward to a nice, relaxing day. Long day at work yesterday. After getting home, cleaning up and eating, I was in bed by 8:00. Gonna load up the trailer with another load of firewood and bring it up closer to the house. Tending the fore and reloading are my top priorities today. My daughter stopped by yesterday. She was in Toledo earlier this week and brought me some Tony Packo’s Sweet Hot Pickles. She knows how much I like them and they are nowhere to be found around here. It’s been a few years since I’ve had them and up I’m looking forward to snacking on them today.
Prayers up for those in need and a special prayer for Scott and his old hunting partner. Jerry sounds like an interesting character.
Make it a good day
Food Ingredient Food storage containers Cuisine Preserved food

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 37º and clear here headed for the mid 40's.

Yesterday was another day of............nothing. Watched a couple of movies, read a book and napped. Also watched Arkansas beat Old Miss. Too bad all of my loading and brass prep is caught up. Well except for a tub of stuff that we picked up this year that I'll tumble after Christmas.

Todays plan is yesterdays plan.

Scott, you were a good friend to your friend. May we all be so lucky.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all stay warm and take care.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Good Sunday morning all, it's 21* here and a high of around 30* today with sunshine. The Country Store was a busy place yesterday, lots of round bales and deer corn and apples went out. Today is a rest day, the last two days were cold and my old body can't take the cold like I used to. The good thing is next week the temps are going to be warmer, That's about all from this end, you all have a good one today.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
morning all. -4 here with mid 30s later...maybe.
Worked around the shop yesterday morning, transfered oil from one tank to the tank for the waste oil heater.
Bossman and kid crew hauled cattle home from one summer pasture yesterday afternoon.
I worked on a springer air rifle yesterday, finally got it fixed. Wouldn't cock, ended up taking it all apart and fixing the bent spring.
First time I've done that, was interesting.
Better get around, chores take a bit longer with ice in the stock tanks to break and fork out.
Church and a pot luck after for Thanksgiving. Should be good eats there!!!
Have a blessed Lords' day, prayers for those with needs and hurts.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good morning everyone from the Gulf of Mexico in Venice.
I'll just say it's 60 degrees wif a high of 70 today with rain . Warming back up tomorrow.
Got yard work completed scale calibration completed.
Not much planned for today . I'll wait until the Mrs tells me what her plans are before deciding.
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and safe. Enjoy your day
HHH

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The morning started at 19 and is up to 29 under sunny skies. Looks like we will get to around 40, maybe a little more if the sun stays out of the clouds. Good to see most everyone is doing well and some of the hunters are harvesting. Today would have been a good morning to be in the shooting house, but I would have needed the heater going as it's generally a little colder up on the ridge. I was content to stay in a warm bed until 6:30 :) Not much got done yesterday, a few chores like gluing a couple of birdhouse that were taken down by an Amazon truck the other day and some brass work. It looks like the reformed 22 PPC may work, but I won't know until I fire a few while doing a short break in. I have nearly 200 from the old barrel and will try turning them down to fit a smaller neck and annealing, both good things to do on cold winter days. Not sure about today, a little paper and keyboard work, but not much. Maybe a birding trip as they will be busy hunting food all day.

G'day Y'all,
Rick,
Let's go Brandon!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Morning all, 28 heading to 38 today. Will be glad to see it warm up this coming week. Scott everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend like you. Glad your friend did not suffer and went out in his sleep, we all should be so blessed. Got church in a few, then this afternoon going to help a buddy grind and package 2 deer, 1/2 hour job plus cleanup. I was busy all day but did not get much accomplished. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well, the wind finally laid down. The temperature was 16 when I looked at the thermometer at 7:00AM and it is now 17. I went out with Paul to bring his eight point deer in from the field. Why drag when you can hook up the trailer to the mower and let John Deere do the work? He shot the deer earlier in the hunting field and the deer cooperated by traveling to the rifle range, which is mown and open. My kind of hunting.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
stayed at lodge from about 10 am till about 9 last night. Lots of lies swapped. Carl is here for this group to help cook. He is taking a lot of pressure off wifey and DIL. They are really appreciating having him and he is having a great time too.
They decided to fix stew for Sunday night supper. Carl browned the stew meat on outdoor grill and i prepped the potatoes, onions, carrots and celery. I told them back off this was my specialty. Put it all together and added the spicy hot v-8 (3 large cans), rotels, 7-8 big bay leaves, and big handful of brown sugar. Anyway, went great and Carl and I ate enuf we didn’t want supper last night, lol. He admitted he has never had stew that good. Told him never use water in stew, let all the veggies cook in the v-8. He thought I had gone crazy when I added the brown sugar, but decided that was a good addition.
Will take a pic of the finished product this evening when we get it out to warm this evening, Will add couple cans each of corn and green beans before heating this evening.
Off to church in a few and probably hang at lodge again this afternoon.
Skruske and Ken…..you 2 get the nominations from me for best citizens awards. Skruske you showed what a friend is… and Ken, all I can say is not many people would do what you are doing for a spouse’s ex…..
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I was near a brass monkey alert this AM. At least it is sunny and the winds have slowed some. When I woke it was 13F and wind chill was 5F. I am not ready for winter yet. Did lots of errands yesterday, and felt good with the heater keeping us warm in the car. Nothing planned for today, so I will do my PT and maybe watch a movie and a nap. Monday will be some meetings and then do a PET scan on Tuesday. All please stay safe and warm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts