Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
53° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies, the high temperature for today will be getting up to about 69°. The wind will be mild today and we have a 30% chance of showers for today and tonight.

Yesterday was a decent day for the opening day of our turkey season. I didn't go although as long as I couldn't go fishing I probably should have. Instead I chose to work here at home and had a fairly productive day. Today the Covid still has our church shut down so I am going to just take life easy and hope for better weather for this next week so I can start my fishing season. I want to get to the range next week also to do some shooting.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 53, cloudy and a good chance of rain, high is 68. Yesterday was 81 and muggy. I woke up at 2:30 and sat down at 4am and didn't wake up till 8:30. I did some good progress made finishing 2 rifle stocks.
Today is church this morning and a nap, some writing and church this evening.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Good Sunday morning from NC Ohio 52 now going to 80 with high winds. There goes all the rain we got this week. know what I mean Dean? The Ohio Daylily Society meets this afternoon and plant auction, shouldn't see the prices JR did!!! At least its a return too some normalcy, give Praise for that. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 43 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
No hunting was done yesterday but did find that the pawnshop had
a little powder for sale. Not sure what we'll get into today but probably not much.
Melissa, Sis, and the boys are really enjoying the Blackstone griddle. They all
fixed Jap food yesterday evening and her sisters family came over and we had a good time. We all like it...and usually eat too much...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
With sixty two degrees and some black sky to our west to start the day. I think rain is in my future.Going west a little later to pick up a small (six foot) chisel tooth, harrow, and disc. Not sure what else is on my plate; Jan hasn’t told me.
We got a letter from France yesterday saying the sale of the property in France is moving along and some day there may even be money in the mail. I’ll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great morning everyone,

I am pleased to report 60° with a slight chance for sprinkles today here near HalfwayUSA. I am even more pleased to report the high should get to 80° later.

The effects of that second Phizer vaccine were done by about 9:30am yesterday. So that was about 22hrs worth of discomfort for those keeping score. Deb fared better than me for her second.

We both feld good enough to go rummaging. East of here is a highway called M-15 & there sales advertised for much of the length. We felt good enough to go so we packed a lunch & a wallet and drove off. Debra had a list from friends & family and did a good job of filling it. I got a couple plaid shirts and a pulley set for a come along. One of the last sales we stop at folks were starting to pack up. We were chatting & they said they were just going to donate all the clothes left over. I mentioned we have a cousin who is part of a church group who washes & sorts clothes for the needy. It took seconds for Deb & the folks to there to come up with a plan. I loaded the back seat of her truck with PILES of stuff. The sale proprietors were happy to be done with the stuff & Deb's cousin will be getting a large delivery today.

I rode the mower around last evening until near dark. Most of the grass is cut. I just need to push the little mower around the edges & run the trimmer to finish things off.

Lots of chores to be caught up. My truck needs a clean out & washing. Firewood needs to be unloaded. The barn needs cleaning. The 5th wheel needs to be emptied so we can use it for a moving van.

I took note of everyone's reply in the Saturday thread. I too had several of those 'cheap' guns over the years. I too let them go as prices rose. I migrated from lots of cheap guns to better quality guns in the process. No regrets either.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Good morning, it's 47* here and going to the mid 70's today, yesterday was beautiful. Got a lot done around here, I took Kate's Outlander Sport to the tire shop to get the tires rotated, and checked on some Goodyear or Cooper tires for my Jeep. The guy said they don't have any, he told me Goodyear bought Cooper and are moving manufacturing to China, closing their manufacturing plants here in the US.. They are indeed building plants in China but the article didn't say anything about closing US based plants. If this is true that sure stinks like :poop: and all the workers that will be left without a job, I need to do more research. Have a good one today.

·
Administrator
12,332 Posts
Good morning folks. It's already 60 here with a light breeze. Heading to 80s later. That will be nice. Yesterday's 44 was downright cold sitting in a pavillion at the fairgrounds with the wind whistling thru. It didn't warm up much until after lunch. Then it was bearable.

We had a good day at the gun raffle. Huge crowd. They did 44 $500 gun bowls. Last year it was 32. Food wasn't the greatest (hamburgs and hotdogs) and my stomach feels "off". Woke me up thru the night. I had no beers and just drank water and iced tea. Don't know what it is that has me all cramped up but hope it passes.

I just put a small brisket on the smoker. Will eat that later tonight. Yard work today...trim some trees, spray weeds. May stain the pergola and deck. May not. :sneaky: May just take it easy this afternoon.

Well I better finish my coffee and get moving. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
59° here and headed for the mid-seventies they say. Went for my 2nd round of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and all was fine (for awhile). Came home and mowed the grass and even moved a little firewood around. When it started getting dark, I could feel a little nausea coming on and felt chilled. It wasn’t too bad and only seemed to last a couple hours. Woke up this morning feeling fine. Sitting here now watching a couple of yearling deer playing in the road. My son is coming over today so we may go burn some powder.
Make it a good day.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Home for the weekend again. This part of the world sure needs a good rain. Maybe when Dean gets one, we will too. The last group of the turkey hunters finished filling out yesterday. Five long beards in 2 days. This group from Alabama has been hunting with us for 12 years. The wifey and DIL fixed a feast for all of us last night. Cut up two turkeys into strips and soaked them in their marinade, then battered and fried them. That and all the trimmings made for a great meal.
Church today with church dinner and business meeting following. Gonna make for a long day and might get into nap time.
Son told me last night that he figures since we been guiding, he has hung over 1500 turkeys on the porch where we clean birds. I would hate to try to guess how many deer have been hung on the cleaning pole. I know it has been a good life doing what we love. Not many people can spend a lifetime doing this. I worked as a police officer for about 5 years when I got out of college and worked 4 10-hour shifts a week. Since I left there and returned to the ranch, I have never “punched a clock.” No regrets on my part and my 46 year old son has never had to punch one.

Reactions: Dean in Colo.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Morning from the Sticks of Kentucky and today is a new day. I am glad I don't have to go to another gun Auction as the last one wore me out.
I envy Ken who finds Guns that he likes and brings them home with him. I am just not really very excited about most of them anymore and don't use the ones I have. This past year, i only shot One Coyote with a rifle other than an AR 15 which I carry because it is shorter and easy to handle.
The multi trillion giveaways spurred on some buying yesterday as I heard several folks say they were spending joebiden money on guns. I still have my stimulus money as I don't see anything I want to buy. That's Sad.

Today JB is going to Flemingsburg Ky for a Rhonda Vincent party. I may go also but rather not. I WOULD like to hit the Rummage Sale Circuit with Skruske but that's toooo far.

Y'all have a safe day and Bruce, glad you are home.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
FB, I'm not concerned about my Mitsubishi, by the way it was made in Normal ILL, by American workers, and I get it is a Japanese owned company. So lets close the plant in Normal ILL and put more American workers out of work, big difference between closing 2 major tire manufacturing plants and taking them to china. My intent was not to start any debate over what ever your opinion is, it is making a simple statement. I apologize to the board, probably not the place to put this, admin delete it if not acceptable.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Morning all, 61 headed to 74 today. Church in a few, and Dinner on the grounds afterwards. As the preacher says, us Baptists like to eat, and always a bunch of good food present. The wife made two big pans of brownies, and mashed potatoes. I have decided I am about done buying guns to keep, got too many to shoot now, but I am not complaining. I sold a .54 ML yesterday, waiting on the money to get here to mail it out now. Got to get moving, you all have a good one, Buff out.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
JR the next time Judy Brown goes on a 2-3 day trip, you need to come down and cast and powder coat a few hundred .45 acp slugs, or maybe a thousand.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 64º and cloudy here headed for the low 70's with rain in the forecast. They keep moving it out but the % keeps getting bigger. Rain seems to be the theme for a lot of us today!

We don't have a plan for today yet. The Grandson has ballgames scheduled, pending the weather so we are kind of on hold. If it rains the Wife and I plan to be lazy. We'll see, neither one of us are very good at being idle!

Prayers offered for our Members fighting health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Today JB is going to Flemingsburg Ky for a Rhonda Vincent party. I may go also but rather not. I WOULD like to hit the Rummage Sale Circuit with Skruske but that's toooo far.
With my old job, I used to get down that way a few times a year on my way to Morehead and West Liberty. I miss that part of it. Also, once a year for a family reunion. Mom’s folks were from Flemingsburg and Plummer’s Landing.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Good morning all. It's 63 in Indy heading for 77. Already hit the pancake joint and Rural King. Found a 6' tape rule for $2 and don't know how I got by without one in the truck for all these years. My buddy who used to work in the gun dept. got promoted to asst. manager. He recently bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire so I took him two boxes of Eley Club .22lr ammo that have been in the cabinet for years collecting dust. Might as well have some decent ammo to try out the gun.

Couple of "maybes" on the schedule for today. Buy a TV. Hit some golf balls at the range. Be thoroughly confused by either or both.

Sam, my younger brother is a retired Baptist minister. He says you have to watch those Baptists. They'll help you drink all your beer but they won't recognize you at Hooters.

Imported cars, tires, etc. You can't tell where most of 'em are made. When I was driving a Toyota Tundra, I had guys tell me all the proceeds were going to Japan. I'd just say that would be hard to sell to the hundreds of guys working at the assembly plant in Princeton, IN. We're going to see more US manufacturing going out of the country if Biden's corporate tax increase passes.

Have a good day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts