Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66° under very overcast skies here in Upstate NY this morning, the high temperature for the day will only get up to about 69°. We have a chance for showers and thunderstorms all day today with a fairly mild wind.

Yesterday morning I got up to the gun club for awhile and shot my Rem 581 with three different ammos that I hadn't used in a time. I was surprised when I shot a 1/4" group at 50 Yds with CCI HP's the high velocity. I hadn't shot any of those in a long time. My main problem is I need to work more on my trigger squeeze and follow through, I don't shoot enough anymore and it shows. We had a severe thunderstorm come through around 6:30PM and it dropped quite a bit of rain. This morning we will go to church and then I plan on taking the rest of the day easy.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 61, clear and high of 82. Nice day. Yesterday was moving furniture and hauling furniture.
Today is church and a nap. I would like some range time, but I need to clean house to.
Hope everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Mornin boys...
67 here high on RUGER Mt this morning
got rain off and on about all day yesterday
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless..

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
morning all. 49 with low to mid 80s later, chance of a shower this afternoon.
Went to a auction yesterday morning, they didn't have as many primers, powder or ammo that was advertised and it all went high for what it was.
One full box of small rifle primers went for $120. Lots of boxes that went for over $50 but not full. Same with ammo, I thought it was high and all reloads.
Didn't even bid on the guns, a lot of Amish guys there and they just don't back down when they start bidding! Came home empty handed but still have my money for another day!
Going to bale this morning if there is enough dew. Will have to watch church later on you-tube or facebook.
Have a great Lords' day, give Him thanks and praise for all we have. Prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
66° here this morning and it looks like it’s gonna be a nice day today. Busy weekend so far with a wedding on Friday and a funeral yesterday. Air conditioner repair, oil changes, auto repair and lawn mowing were also on the agenda yesterday. Big news of the day was that my Lewis Lead Remover arrived in the mail. I’ve always used Chore Boy to clean lead from my pistols but I got a good deal on the Lewis so I want to give it a try.

Good to see Mr Murl posting and JR, my wife always likes to see pictures of the calves. I saw Sam’s post about Ibuprofen.That is my go-to pain reliever, when I need one. My sister works in a doctor’s office and she scolds me for it and tells me to use Tylenol Instead. . I’ve tried it but it doesn’t seem to help much.

Heading to the in-laws today for awhile. we have a nephew who lives in Colorado and another in Germany And they are both in town so the whole family is getting together. Should be a good time. My son sent me this picture from a gun shop north of Cincinnati. Shelves were pretty bare but it looks like some stuff is slowly coming back.

Make it a good day.

·
Administrator
12,493 Posts
Morning folks. It's 66 and chilly this morning with the wind! Blowong pretty good out. It was hotter than Hades out yesterday, but about 6pm a front came thru. I was just about to light the grill when it did. Lots of lighting and rain for awhile and it eased up, so I opened the umbrella and started the grill. Soon as I had food on, round 2 came. It poured and poured. I got soaked under the umbrella, but at least the pork chops were good.

I got caught up on the weeding yesterday, for now. I also fixed the basement window I broke stacking firewood. A trip to Lowes was required and I replaced it with Lexan. Hopefully it won't break now!

Stopped by the gun shop up there. They have a decent section of consignment reloading stuff. I thought I found Sam some 30-40 brass, but the box was full of 7.62x54R. I found a Dillon 550C press there for $350, bit it had nothing else with it, just 2 tool heads. A quick call to pancake Doug convinced me it was priced too high. I bought a pound of H4350 there, priced at $42. Lil high, but I needed it.

Well, not sure what I'll get into today, but coffee is ready. We'll figure it out. No baby yet.

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Good Sunday morning you all, it's 65 here and mid 70's later on with some clouds today. Got Church this morning, and am sure there will be some good things to be learned today. I think a nap will be in my future today, it;s been a long week. I hope you all have a good day, God Bless.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 74 in Paducah, KY, and only going to 78 thanks to heavy clouds and intermittent thunderstorms.

Church with my brother this morning, followed by an annual family reunion that usually draws a pretty good crowd. I haven't attended in many years, so I'll have to relearn the connections between the Jones clan and the Adams clan, the Hughes clan and several others. I do know the Jones name at this gathering has diminished over the years as fewer children are produced and more seem to be girls than boys. So it goes.

After the reunion and a big potluck meal, there might be time for a late afternoon nap, at least I hope so.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ended up being a great day yesterday. Daughter called early and came around noon to stay couple of days. Then one of the twin boys called and wanted to come by for a while with his wife. Family just kept coming in….ended up with both twins and their wives and great granddaughter, then granddaughter that had just graduated college. I raided the freezer and got out hamburger meat (several #’s), and sweet corn I had picked up week or 2 ago, fresh okra and squash, home-grown tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers. It made for a great supper and fun day.

Son and DIL called from Colorado. DIL and her 3 friend won the Ranch Rodeo yesterday, and now to next town for todays rodeo. Son had picked up his trailer and said he was very pleased with it. I thought he was entered too, but said no, he was just moral support…LOL.

Well off to church and back home (hopefully for a nap).
If we ever get together for a meet and shoot, I found a target we can use .

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Morning all a cloudy 72 headed to 80, T Storms this afternoon. Got a pretty good nights sleep last night, about time. A buddy some of you know, Pedro, came over and we went thru all the stuff I had bought the other day. He collects old ammo boxes, gun oil cans etc. He left with a box full of stuff and left me with a wad of cash, that was the plan all along. Sold some more stuff online yesterday, need to box a bunch of stuff up this evening or in the morning to mail off. Church in a few, you all have a good day, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Morning everyone!

Its 75º and cloudy here headed for the low 80's with chances for T'storms throughout the day.

Yesterday was a slow day. We're dog sitting my oldest Son's 2 dogs while they are on vacation and at one time yesterday all of us were napping! Me, The Wife, The Cat and both Dogs!

More of the same planned for today. But I still need to do some housekeeping in the loading room. We'll see.........

Prayers offered for our Members having health problems, our country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
74º in the hollow with clouds and a good chance of rain today and tomorrow. Returned from the dog wars last evening and most things are back to normal. Wife and westies seem glad to have me back. The group varied from six to eight and we shot mainly on a 4-5 square mile ranch in eastern Montana. It was very dry and most of the ranchers will have to sell off the cows soon as there is little hay to carry them very long. They are in the third year of a drought cycle. The dog population has suffered as well and we didn't see many pups. 4-6 of us used a USDA cabin/campsite as a base. It had a refrigerator and stove, but no potable water, although it did have a well that operated by solar panel . We used that water for showers and clean up. It was about 15 miles from the shooting. Most of the shooting was done from sticks and transportation was a Gator, RZR and Honda side by side. Two of the guys took their trucks and occasionally shot from a table. My partner and I shot from a makeshift platform on the front of the Gator and from sticks now and then. We moved around as most locations didn't have enough dogs to last long, but we shot enough to enjoy ourselves. My guess is that the two of us shot 6-700 rounds each over 4 1/2 days. Kill ratio was very good as most shots were 250 yards or less. A highpoint was seeing three badgers together rooting out a prairie dog. The only real downer was a visit with a friend, on who's property I've shot for twenty years. We stopped on the way out to visit and drop off a couple of gifts. While there I learned that he had a disappointing experience with a shooter that I had given contact/ location information. The last thing I told the guy was that this man was a friend and that he should NOT F**k this up. He did and won't be allowed back on the property. I won't be sharing any pd info in the future with anyone, so don't bother asking. But other than that all went well and all that is left is unpacking. Scott & Cory will be leaving the cabin today to travel to Casper where Cory will be flying out from tomorrow. We should hear from Scott soon. We could make a few calls and texts from the cabin, but the signal wasn't strong enough for a computer connection.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Administrator
1,853 Posts
Well past noon here and 80* on the way to 82. Didn't sleep too well last night; had a visit yesterday from a young man that used to live with the wife and I. He and his mother could not see eye to eye and she kicked him out of the house, then told his step dad some con-cocked story. He lived with use his senior year of high school and had already joined the Army and left from here after graduation. He was wounded in Iraq, 50 cal round went through the armor of the vehicle, through the driver, through his kevlar helmet and hit him hard enough that he was unconscious for several days, he woke up in Germany. But anyway he is having trouble now he can't stay awake and will be setting talking and just go to sleep, I am very worried about him so spent a lot of time thinking about him.
I am getting along pretty well from the surgery, the pain in my leg and foot have pretty much gone away, still a little sore and tender in the area of the surgery.
Rick so sorry to hear about someone f-ing up a hunting area and a friendship for you. I have about begging a trip out to dog country, but the Covid last year and back problems and a multitude of other problems have prevented my going out that way anyway. Maybe next year.
Prayers for all in need and some that don't know they are in need. Special prayers for our country, that is rapidly going down hill, and prayers for Israel. God bless this board and all the participants. God bless America!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts