Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60° here in Upstate NY this morning under fair skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 79°. It will be a mostly sunny day with a wind of 6 to 9mph and a 30% for some rain.

Yesterday I spent most of the day "Up Home" fishing and talking to the farmers and their wives. Over the years I have become friends with them, and you couldn't ask for nicer people. I only caught one bass, but it was a nice end to my fishing season for this year. Today I am just going to take life easy here at home.

My FIL once told me, NOT ALL Ni*****'s are black and that is a very true statement.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
Mornin boys...
59 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Did get to smell smoke yesterday. Found a good load at 1043 fps. 3 touching and quite with the 175 sub x's. Probably not much will.get done today...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 66 and cloudy, high of 69.
We had supper at Cracker Barrel last night, I had yummy chicken fried porkchops. They were so good that I cleaned my plate. Some day I will learn not to eat like that before bedtime.
We went with another couple to see a gospel quartet, that part was good. The sound in the facility was the worst I have encountered. Awfull, and totally non understandable speech.
Too bad.
Today is church and rest.
I hope everyone has a blessed Sabbath,
Ken

·
Registered
427 Posts
55 here in CT for the morning kickoff. I snapped on the porch light and stepped out to check the temp and found a nearly pure white skunk sniffing around out on the lawn. Could only see a hint of black down low on his belly and legs.
Yesterday I got the splitter set up and today will be more of the same. Working on a big pile of oak, getting it split and stacked so it can get to drying. I'll give that half a day or so and then who knows what I'll do. The girls will be headed over the Renaissance fair for the day so I'll be holding down the fort.
Hope you all have a good day.
Ken

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
60° here this morning. Grass was mowed yesterday and shotgun shells were loaded but no wood was split. Gonna work on that this morning, before it gets too warm outside. Once again, I saw that food was a big topic of conversation yesterday. Yep. JR, I went to Tony’s the first time I visited Frankenmuth, Michigan. They make an outstanding BLT sandwich with a full pound of bacon. It was delicious and I’m ashamed to admit that I ate every bit of it. The big fellow at the table next to us ordered a 12-egg omelette but he didn’t finish it.
When the weather starts to cool down, I regret that I didn’t plant any turnips this year. Marty throws a few of them in sometimes when she makes mashed potatoes or a roast. I also like to snack on them raw.
I’ve never heard of a Jicama. How did you cook it and how did you like it ? I may have to give them a try.

Time for another cup of coffee. Make it a good day

Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Building Automotive lighting

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate

Yes, that is a basket of bacon underneath the toast.
Food Smile Tableware Table Cuisine

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Overcast with a threat of rain but it appear none of it is making ground contact here near HalfwayUSA. Currently 67° with a high that might reach 80°

Busy day yesterday. We started off with the small hometown parade. A few rummage sales followed. Some food truck lunch & more rummaging.

JR was on clean up makin' sure the last of the candy got picked up. Not sure if it went into his stash or not.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Tree Grass

Hand Plant Gesture Road surface Asphalt

There I was mindin’ my own business stand in’ toward the back when a politician felt sorry for me and handed me a coffee cup full of candy. Another guy thought I was panhandling & gave me shiny penny.

Edit to add: in this pic you can see a White Pine six panel door laying on its side. There is a sold sign on it. Debra Dearest bought a pair of them. I get to build a big pantry/cabinet out of them. I believe the doors are about 130 years old and the vintage scrolled metal door knobs are still attached. $40 for the pair.

Clothing Smile Plant Baseball cap Tree

Miss Judy sweet talked a lady into selling several dresses - new with tags - for about 10¢ or less on the dollar. I was impressed at her negotiating skills. Big ol' package deal she came away with.

I suppose this number isn’t suited for wrangling damncows but would look great at a Fourth of July picnic.

Clothing Wood Textile Sleeve Waist

We finished out the day listening to a cover band pretend to be Journey & a few others. Me & JR most just watched people. It was a long and enjoyable day.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Good morning from far away exotic Shipshewana, IN. Julie’s up and gone to the closest available Catholic Church. The closest one is “ right up the road in Sturgis, MI but you can’t get there because the bridge is out”. Apparently there’s only one road to MI from here.

Had a great time at the reunion yesterday and we’re all getting together for breakfast before most of us head back to Indy. We stopped at a sporting goods store in Shipshewana. Lotta’ guns, fishing gear, and archery stuff along with horses and buggies in the lot. Lotta’ beards, suspenders, and straw hats. Many homes had a small shed about the size of an outhouse at the driveway entrance with a solar panel on the roof. Found out those are used to plug in a cellphone while you’re making a call. Who’da thunk that?

Time to get resdy for the day. Have a good’n.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I’ve never heard of a Jicama. How did you cook it and how did you like it ? I may have to give them a try.
Jicama can be eaten raw after the outside is pealed away like a Potato. The texture is rather like an apple with a task similar to that of a sweet pea. Eaten raw or air fried with traditional Mexican seasoning. I'm not sure if stores this far east carry them. Deb bought that one we shared in Wyoming. It was the last one in the produce bin.

·
Administrator
13,671 Posts
Good morning varmints of all shapes and sizes. It's 59 here and sunny, going to 80s. This has been the nicest stretch of weather I can remember. AC doesn't run much and it's cool sleeping with low humidity.

Well, Miss Sue and I made it back from Baltimore yesterday late afternoon. Had a nice trip boat shopping. Saw a few we liked, and a few we didn't. But when I asked her if she liked this one, you should have seen the big smile. I guess this is the one. '98 Grady White 232 Gulfstream.

Watercraft Boat Wheel Vehicle Boat trailer

Trailer needs brakes and tires. Boat needs electronics. I will make an offer accordingly. See what happens.

Not sure what is in store for today. Need to mow, check my trail cams in the yard, maybe a nap. Not been sleeping well. Better get some coffee in me first.

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good morning everyone from the shores of the Chesapeake.68 headed to 84. Beautiful morning.
Well I got tied up piddling on a piece of equipment first thinking it was going to be about a hour or 2 job . I finally finished 4.5 hours later. I can see why the manufacturer rep said no it can't be done . Well it completed pipes cut reshaped and completed . One of them projects u think long and through before you start cutting and bending drilling and grinding. Finished result looks like a factory job 😜. So after lunch I promised we will take the voyage. Right before dark I checked the crab pots. We got 30 crabs yesterday I'll be cooking them this evening.
Everyone have a great day stay safe and comfortable. For those that play in the street be careful.
Charlie nice looking boat . I purchased a 8500 lb , 31 ft trailer a couple of years ago ouch . I'm getting it inspected tomorrow.
HHH
Mesh Pet supply Wood Composite material Wire fencing

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
58 in the hollow at sunrise and up to the low 60s now under sunny skies. Looks like that weather pattern, although getting warmer, will extend into the week. I did as planned yesterday making a trip to Dry Branch to get in some shooting before doing a new member orientation. Along with another shooter, I waited until the rimfire match was finished in order to give their ears a break. I was working with a tuner that I had given a thorough cleaning and wanted to reinstall. I did get a few rounds down range before the first candidate arrived. Then another showed up and we did a twofer. I encourage questions and conversation, so the session went a while. About the time we finished a couple showed up for the same. I had not expected them, but they finished their concealed carry class early. We had an enjoyable conversation along with the orientation and as we ended, the guy asked if the great weather was included in their membership. I assured him it was. Then as I moved back to my rifle I was asked for some help from a nimrod with a new rifle and scope. He told me he'd never owned a Zeiss and couldn't figure it out with his shiny new laser bore sighter. It was mainly operator error and we worked it out. I think the Canadian moose he plans to hunt next week are safe. But that meant I had run out of time and had to leave. A good day with four new dues paying members.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 68º and Sunny here headed for the low 90's. It looks like a hot dry week ahead. The days are getting noticeably shorter.

Yesterday a shooting buddy came over and we spent most of the day sorting and depriming brass. We drank a few beers and had a nice visit. We were invited over to our oldest Son's house last night to watch the Razorback game and he cooked some sausage and wings on the grill. Arkansas trailed Missouri for most of the game and had a few turnovers and several penalties. And dropped passes! Gotta work on that! They found theirselves during the 4th quarter and won 38 to 27. Missouri was coached by a former Arkansas coach so there was some rivalry there.

The Wife and I slept in this morning and it felt good. My buddy is coming back to sort and tumble brass again later today.

Mr Bruce, you would be welcome to share our table. Like you said, if we were only closer........

JR, thats a great picture of the Mrs!

HHH, thats a nice looking boat.

Charlie, thats also a nice looking boat.

Prayers for those in need and our Country. Special prayers for Sam's friends.

Y'all have a good one!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well, I got the 9mm setup n the Dillon yesterday. It was all still new in the box, with RCBS carbide dies. Boy, it ain’t easy anymore. Neuropathy in my fingers along with old age makes a 30 minute job into about a 3 hour job…but I did it. I loaded a few to get everything set and stepped out the door and fired 6 off in my Sig 365 sas. They all went bang. i was running low on SP primers, and the press was already set up with about 50 SR 7 1/2 primers in it. That is the ones I loaded first and like I said it ran smooth on firing. I was using HS 6 and 115 gr Hornady’s. I used 6.5 gr for those primers and 6.7 grains when I switched to the SP primers….seemed to work fine there too. Anyway, I finished the day with 100 rounds loaded.
I didn’t try church this morning because of my +Covid test Friday PM. Hoping I get a negative tomorrow morning, so I can schedule another chemo infusion.
The Neuropathy combined with old age sure makes simple tasks very hard sometimes. Picking up the bullets and trying to set them on the cases in the reloader is very difficult at times….LOL. I may have to sell my 17 MK4 when I run out of ammo for it….😂:ROFLMAO: I think I’ll try to get another run on the 9mm’s today.
Son texted early this morning. He and DIL made it to the top of the mountain where they are hunting about sunup and were going to hunt down the backside today. That was my job the last couple of times I went with them, picking them up on the bottom towards evening. I enjoy just getting out and camping in the mountains. A good friend who is an outfitter called a couple of weeks ago and said he had an extra landowner tag in the area just south and west of Raton, NM if I wanted it….no charge. I just have to pick out a 5-day slot Oct-Nov. I told him I’d take it….Of course. Said it should be fairly easy hunt physically. Drive ranger into areas during the day and sit in pop-up blind late afternoon till last light. That’s the way I hunted with son and grandson 2 years ago. Grandson and I both got elk the first evening of the season. He was hunting one valley and I was siting on another draw about a mile apart. It was his first elk hunt and I was happy to experience it with him.
Rectangle Font Circle Signage Symmetry

Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Good morning, GoGo, barely. Just before noon, it's already 80 in Louisville, going to 84. Humidity is a low 60%, so it feels pretty nice outside, but hot if you're standing or working in the bright sun. Mon-Wed is supposed to hit 87-89-93 and not much chance of rain for the whole week.

Spent Wed-Sat visiting family in Paducah. Didn't get into much and didn't even visit the Rural King down there. I told Cindy there wasn't a thing I needed, but if I went in there I'd for sure spend $50-$60 on snacks, engine additives and various things that would catch my eye, so I just avoided all that.

Charlie, that's sure a nice looking boat. Looks like twin outboards hanging on the transom, right? What make and size are they? I always figured that twin engines would be a really good idea on any offshore boat, cause you don't want the sharks or the Gulf Stream to get ya. 😁 And does that dude have a little cabin in front, like for a self-contained toilet and maybe a couple of sleeping pads?

Jim (HHH), the only crabs here in Kentucky aren't good to catch, but if I could trap ones like yours, I'm pretty sure I could learn to cook 'em. Only ones I've eaten have been in pricey seafood restaurants, but I think it'd take me a while to get tired of 'em. Bet that picked meat would hold real good if vacuum packed and put in the freezer. Great for chowdah when the snow flies.

Love the photo of JR holding a road kill Tootsie Roll. Ha! A Yankee might throw that away, but a reddneck knows being tenderized by a few cars just makes it better! As for Miss Judy's dress, it's beautiful, but I have a thing about clothing that looks just a bit too much like it could actually have been cut from a flag. I can't remember if there's a federal law about that or if it's just part of flag protocol, but I'm pretty sure my aversion comes from the war protestors in the late-60s. So, tell her if she wears that outfit around ol' KF, she's gonna have to tuck that top under, like half-staff. If her goal is to get ol' JR worked up, she needs to find a Stars and Bars scarf to wear on top. Ha! 😁

Y'all have a good'n, be careful if you're working wood, and remember prayers for our friends here and for our nation. Was glad to see in another thread that Sam's friends are no longer suffering.

Recipe Home appliance Tableware Font Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Glad you got the 9mm set up in the Dillon. I have loaded a lot of 9mm in mine, For years I shot 147gr FMJ and lately have been shooting 125gr hard cast TC bullets. I hear you about hands not working as well anymore. I have seen my handwriting getting worse also. Definitely 20gr 0.172" bullets are hard to hold and load.

It will be busy week for me. See the radiation oncologist on Tuesday. Don't know if that is just an introductory meeting or if there will be some radiation dose. Then my normal oncologist office visit and labs on Wednesday.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
morning all. Was 40 this morning but that was hours ago.
Same as always... baled hay most of the day yesterday, and again for a couple hours this morning. Bossman and grandson were still at it when I
quit to get ready for church.
Not sure what I'll do this afternoon, hope it doesn't involve hay!!!
Better get moving, long drive to church, two miles!.
Have a blessed Lords' day, praise and thanks for all we are and have. Prayers for those in need, and with health issues.
GOD BLESS. Dean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts