Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57↑° here in Upstate NY here in Upstate NY this morning under foggy overcast skies. The high temperature for today will get up to about 69°. We have a 50% chance of for some showers today and a mild wind.

Yesterday I had good luck fishing "Up Home" and I really enjoyed myself. I caught six smallmouth bass which all were between 12" and 14" and I also caught one 17" walleye to finish out my day. My wife and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate out anniversary and had a very nice time. This morning we will go to church and then I am going to take life easy the rest of the day.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 65 going near 80 should be sunny after last nights shower. The young helper and I cut down a 35 foot maple tree and reduced it to a dozen pieces of firewood and four bucket full of wood chips ( tractor buckets. ) Today we will move all the firewood stored in the garden building to the pole barn were the wood burner is. Give thanks for our friends Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Administrator
12,656 Posts
Morning boys. Dang, you guys ALWAYS up this early? I seem to be waking up earlier the older I get. Like my dad. Pretty soon I'll have to call Dr Rick for help. (Yeah, I watch too much TV).

I am up earlier than normal for a reason though. Headed to VA Beach here soon as Miss Sue gets loaded up. I'll waive at Hedgehog Jim as I go by.

Yesterday was quiet. Had a haircut in the morning and got some fishing tackle ready. Went to my cousin's for a cookout. Lots of folks there and we didn't stay late since we had to get up early.

Well need to have my coffee and get loaded up. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
380 Posts
Good Morning guys. It's 57 here in Iowa right now with a nice sunny day forecast. Daughter, SIL and kids are heading for the old threshers reunion in Mt Pleasant today. They wanted us to go also but I think mom and I are going to sit this one out. Its really hard to imagine we are at labor Day weekend already. The months go by like minutes. Hope everyone is enjoying the three day weekend.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 79º and clear here headed for the mis 80's. Much better than the mid 90's!

We had a great Dove hunt yesterday. The birds came piling in right about legal shooting hours and several of us got limits and several others came close. One of my friends 15 year old Daughter shot 6 and my Grandson shot 13. There was a nice breeze that made the 90º temps easier to live with. Due to Covid we had a catering company come out and cook Catfish rather than go back to my house where we usually cook. Several of us sat around afterwards after the guns were put away and had a few beers and visited.

In a little while I'll be off for round two. There won't be as many of us today.

Congratulations to George and his Bride!

JR, glad to hear that you are feeling better. Don't overdo it too soon!

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, looking like everyone is up early this morning. Another nice day ahead, clear and 74. Yesterday I made two range trips and got so writing done.
I took the 222 out early and got it on paper, rather easy as the scope was nearly perfect.
In the afternoon I took the K31 out. It's first outing since getting Lee Shaver sight inserts and the Easy Eye sticker. It is a big improvement and a big learning curve to get the sights perfect along with the eye sticker and finding aiming point on the target. Old age has its challenges.
Church and sound board duty this morning and see what happens next.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
GM way to early for me but i.had a decent rest last night all the way to 4:40 am. So. Weather outside is Dark...
Good possibility of rain showers this afternoon on my Hayfields that I cut 2 more of yesterday. So, if it rains, it will dry out.
Lightman, I used to shoot Doves long ago, but I don't do 12 ga any more...and that's all I own. They are Fast and seem closer than they really are.
Glad to hear the Skruskes made it safely back to Michigan yday.
I think I got most of todays Work done yesterday, but I have to get the hay fluffer greased and the hay cutter re sharpened for more. JBs yard got mowed and ready for rain.

I'm not even gonna Speculate on a day of rest, cause it won't happen. Hammer down till ya croak.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Good morning all. It’s mid 60s in Indy heading for upper 70s. Got a little rain overnight looks like. Just let the dogs out and it’s wet. Both of them got on the bed soon as they came in so I’m up. Primed a few 9mm cases yesterday. The primer supply is getting low again. Julie’s talking about a steel shoot Saturday. She’s gonna have to shoot the SW Victory.

Congrats on the anniversary, George.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
650 Posts
GM from the 🌞 E side of the Chesapeake. George Happy Anniversary . Small mouth bass were my favorite fish to catch . And the little ones were prudy tasty.
Charlie u are going to need to drop in sometime .U are welcome anytime .
We had a good hunt yesterday we had singles,doubles and some triples all day long . We started at 2 finished at 5 . Jake was stellar yesterday . This lab lives to hunt he is worn out today. It amazing this lab made a extremely long retrieve over a hill in the sunflowers and was spot on lightning ⚡ fast to and from. One of the only labs that comes back as fast as he goes and he is quick .
Yesterday wasn't a 28 gauge day so once I picked up the 20 the birds started to fall.
Lightman glad to hear your hunt was good . I talked to a few people throughout VA that didn't have birds .
Fun was had by all.
Plant Sky Cloud Shade Tree
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Cumulus
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Grey

·
Registered
13,433 Posts
Mornin boys...
63 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
had a good day yesterday, got to hunt and then
we went out and eat for the birthday boy. Last nite
when Tucker got in from hunting we cleaned and got
the squirrels put up we had came and ice cream. The little monster
done the decorating and cut the first price for Tucker...lol...we laughed
the whole time we set there. She is a wild child and comes up with the
craziest things. Looks like rest for today...maybe.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Foggy…but no rain. Enjoyable evening yesterday celebrating banker and wife’s 50th. Ended up riding with grandson (one of the twins) that works at the bank now. Enjoyed the ride with him, Grand DIL and one year old great granddaughter. Gave rodeo box seat tickets to son, DIL and little redhead. I think everyone had a good day. Even managed to get about 150 acres wheat ground plowed…Come on rain.

Church here in a little while. Gonna be interesting day at church. Called friend (also a deacon there) and told him to hurry home…LOL. He is vacationing in Colorado, other 3 deacons are out-of-town. Sound man is gone today, piano player is visiting new grandson, SS teacher AND SS superintendent both MIA….AND the preacher is visiting friends in Georgia. I am fast but only half fast….LOL. Oh well, the song leader (wifey) and I will be there. Preacher was nice enough to call a friend who will in that duty. Maybe the congregation will enjoy me hobbling back and forth doing what I can. At least they called off business meeting this afternoon and services tonight.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

PS….which one of you Yankees misspelled Y’all ??? You spelled it you’all. LOL. lightman, I won’t mention any names….

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Wasn't up at sunrise this morning, but right now it's 68 with light rain in the hollow. Yesterday was a long one beginning at 5:00 and a trip to Dry Branch to direct the UBR match. The day went well although it did get a little warm as the afternoon progressed. I did a new member orientation after the match and we had to do it inside as there were shooters on the line and it got uncomfortable in the range house. Got home at nearly 6:00 and we went out for our Saturday night mexican meal. Probably would have slept past 7:00 but one of my dogs decided it was time for me to be up and woke me licking my face. Not exactly sure what will get done today, although there is always more to do than time to do it.
Congrats on the Big 50 George. Hope to make that milestone if we live long enough. Good luck to the dove shooters. All the dove shooters I've known are no longer with us. I loved squirrel hunting when I was a kid, but can't bring myself to kill them anymore. I don't eat them and just don't care to take a life. They aren't pests like pasture poodles. That isn't a criticism directed at Donnie or anyone else. Glad you still enjoy it.

G'day Y'all,

·
Registered
13,433 Posts
n
None taken Rick...
I growed up hunting and we eat'em.
Got to where we about quit eating them and I'd kill and clean
them for the older folks that liked them.
About all of the older folks died off and I quit hunting them
for several years because I couldnt give them away, even cleaned.
After the boys started wanting to hunt them, Melissa started fix'in'em
and it brought back memories of my growing up and we've fix'em
ever since. /had a school teacher that like'em but told me to leave the head on'em.
She said it was the best part. We never eat the head.

Donnie

PS...I've heard they make pretty good pets if you get'em real young...just say'in...lol

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
morning all. Was 39 earlier on it way to 80.
Chores and sprinkler checking done, breakfast done now ready for church in the living room.
Hay was baled yesterday, probably more today after the heavy dew goes off.
More hay cut yesterday also, should be getting caught up on that soon.
Didn't do any dove hunting yesterday but some did and did well here. All I shot was three p-dogs and a mangy coyote pup with
the 17hmr.
Better get, can't be late to church!!!
Have a blessed Lords' day, prayers for those that need it and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
Good morning everyone....68° here at the house right now. I got up earlier and got 13 Jack's donut's and made coffee.
Spent Friday evening in Greenwood going out to eat wife my son and his gf. Then Saturday at her mom's house for a cookout. We got home about 10pm last night.
Not doing much until Tuesday even though the damn dairy called me 10 minutes ago. They are starting to chop corn silage Tuesday with some test chopping Monday evening. They want me to hang a 18k lb weight on the back of the big new Holland 4x4 tractor so I'm sure shit will be broke this season.
Hope everyone has a good day!
Congrats on the anniversary George!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was up earlier, pot of coffee brewing and started finishing up some 22BR brass, time got away from me.
It was 60 something early am and headed to 80. There was a heavy fog and a North breeze.
Got the yard mowing done yesterday after a long ordeal. Had waited almost 10 days on a V idler pulley. Pulley showed up and dang if it wasn’t a bigger than what came off, even though the part # was the same! Belt is 1/2”, pulley looked to be for a 5/8”…..so the parts vent looked it up and it says for 1/2” OR 5/8” belts, that’s a new one on me. All put together and sharp blades, crab grass is tough this time of year. Mow about 100’ and it throws the drive belt off…took a chunk off of it. OK I have a spare that was used but was still working and looked OK. Belt on and fired up, that one got me a swath around part of the outside and broke, grrr. Off to the farm store. 45 minutes later and $35 poorer, back in business. NOW it won’t turn over! Electric clutch clicks in and out, so plenty of juice. Get the pliers out and short across the solenoid, vroom I am off.
Finally got that chore all done.
To the East of my drive there is another entrance off of the street. I always mow it even though not mine, good neighbors and all that. Well I make a turn and look and there is something silver and shiney, looked and it’s a Husky socket, 11mm. Sounds like nothing but when I was taking the pulley off of the mower two weeks ago I was using the tool set I keep in my pickup. Well some rotten POS stole the tool box and my Stihl weedeater right out of the truck in front of the house! This all took place when I was maybe 15-25 yards from the truck. Dog was outside with me as always and never made a noise, I never saw or heard anything.
I am 58 and have lived here 50 years in the same house, never ever had that happen.
Y’all may take heed from my mishaps and not be so trusting to folks.
Positive the socket was from my set. The box if carried from the top had the tendency to pop open and dump everything if not carried from the side.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A blessed good Lords Day to Y’all from up here on the Red River of the North prairie . Weather is beautiful up here today,and the nights are good sleeping weather. Last niite it was about 50 degrees with a light breeze coming in thre bedroom window. Slept in very llate this morning. High temp will be 72 today. Only thing on the agenda is Church at noon with lunch this morning. Son and his family have gone to the Western Minnesota Steam Thrasers Reunion for the Holiday weekend. Nice and quite here on the farm, just me,my dog, and the blue heeled cow dog of my grandsons,who took up residenice on my porch so he is sure to get feed. I really like the peacefulness here for a few days.

Happy Aniversary to George and his Wife! Gods Blessings to all of you and Country and especially our soldiers.

PS The WMSTR can be seen on YouTube for those interested. It’s one of the largest steam shows in the country. It’s not just farming,but railroads, industrial, and construction

·
Administrator
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Iowa Fox,

I always use Mr Twister 3" curly tails. They were hitting brown pepper, watermelon seed, chartuese with black stripe and a plain charteuse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts