Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
61° here in Upstate NY this morning, with the high temperature to go up to about 76°. There is about a 30% chance of some rain later on this afternoon, other than that it is to be a nice day.

I went to the gun club yesterday morning and then in the afternoon I got my car washed and the yard mowed. This morning it is church and then this afternoon I have to go up to the club and fix a couple of things.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Good morning, 63 in Iowa, high near 80. Getting warmer.
I had a great time at the gunshow yesterday. The Rochester show is always a good one. Talked to several vendors about things in the estate that I need to sell and got good feedback. I had an RCBS Little Dandy along with 26 rotors follow me home.
Great time talk Ed and his son.
We are going to church with my wife's daughter this morning, that is a 75 mile drive to Ankeny so up and at'em early.
I hope everything one has a blessed Lord's day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Good Sunday Morning

Morning George and others to follow. 70 here in NC Ohio with storms just North of Marion co. I had an hour between grass dry and a half inch rain that I got the heavy grass mowed. Sorry JR not enough to make it worth the trip now. I do have lots of tomatoes ready might have to drag out the caner later today. Give thanks to the One that made today possible. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
72* to start. I went to 3 of my favorite fields that had just been cut. I saw i woodchuck in 2 hours. I think there was a WC contest last week that thinned things out. Saw one, shot one at an unimpressive 88 yards. I did have to wait for him to get away from the gas well tree where his hole is to shoot him. I didn't want see if the Calhoon double hollow point bullet would puncture a gas line. Somehow a .220 Swift at 88 yards is not too exciting.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Good Morning

73 and headed to 90 today with a shower or two. We have a family gathering this afternoon that I’m looking forward to. Before that, I’m gonna get out and mow grass and clear a little more brush. Afterward, maybe head to the range to unload some ammo.

·
Administrator
11,784 Posts
Good morning folks. It is 64° here with bright sunshine. Going to be a little hotter today. Yesterday was gorgeous. Got to spend it all outside at the gun raffle, wathing drunk rednecks gamble their money away. Lotta girls to look at....if you like big corn fed ones. :rolleyes: Spandex shouldnt be allowed on some. I think the one girl had a couple of sacks of taters and a country ham in there. :eek: Got home about 7pm.

Fixed mom's garage door yesterday. The aluminum was tearing where the lift arm connects. Got that fixed and move onto getting it to close right. Dang thing goes down all herky jerky, touches bottom or just short, and goes back up and blinks at me. I tried all sorts of adjistment, greased the wheels, etc and it's still doing it. I gave up.

Need to run the guns into the shop here soon and get some groceries. We ordered some crab$$$ for today. Guess we'll treat ourself just once this year. Hopefully my boat cover gets here and I can get it on the boat. Need to keep the leaves and water out to keep it looking nice.

Well, I need to get some coffee in me and get moving. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I'm curious abt the Calhoun dubble hpts. I have a batch of 19 pills in stock but have yet to field test them. I would think they outta skin, filet and tenderize, esp with a Swift pushing them. Am I wrong?
I "slept" last night but like the night before, I was all over the bed.....no rest. Dinah didn't have a good night either. I finished up Jeremiah and read the intro to Lamentations...truly astounding how it was crafted. Similar to an Acrostic puzzle with several characteristics built in. Think of a limerick, the requirements and incorporate those into the scripture. A strict rhyme scheme. Very, very intricate. Very impressive.
Some friends dropped in from Indy y'day for lunch, watched some LL World Series and Euchre. They said it was like Doug said, RAIN, so hard you could not see to drive around Columbus.
Keith was working up a 280AI load for a brother y'day. He said at 13.5 #, Sporter stock, no brake, it just lacked the fun factor.
Every little input at the rest was really magnified. He is pretty much a 6mm kinda guy anymore.
Me, I won't be anything for a while till I get to ambulating w/o the walker. Maybe get some more freedom Wed.
It says 75° and 68% - not too bad but definitely a warming trend.
Tom out

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Sunday

Good morning all. It's a muggy 76 in Indy heading for a muggier 90. Great day to be indoors. I'm exercising that option while Julie is at a Well Armed Woman training event. The group signed up with some outfit who is going to allow them to draw from their holsters and do live fire. I've seen some of those gals shoot and just pulling a gun out to put it on the table they muzzle-sweep 90 degrees. I'm less than comfortable with the whole thing but I couldn't talk her out of it. I told her it's not like the indoor range where there are walls between the shooters. Don't trust anybody and don't be afraid to call somebody out when you find yourself looking at their muzzle as they draw. :eek:

Too (the dog) and I will be hanging in the AC. Have a good day.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
morning all. 45 here this morning. Running late but have all the chores and sprinklers checked, ready to head to town for church and wally world.
Middle son and Grandkids come yesterday for a overnite stay, Grandson wanted to show off his first car so they drove four hours to show Grandpa. Nice Honda Accord, should be a great first car, hope he takes good care of it.
Got the AC fixed on the big blue tractor and got some hay baled before the rain stopped us again. Probably no baling today, :) I am ready for a day off anyway.
Better get to town, have a blessed Lords' day and remember those in need of prayers.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Mornin boys...
73 here high on RUGER Mt now. These past few
mornings have been nice. Makes me want to go squirrel hunting.
Got my cousins loading stuff for his 6.5 Creed yesterday. He wants me
to work up a hunting load. Hes having to work away from home and is gone
for weeks at a time and when he gets home he don't have time to do it. I picked
up all his stuff to load yesterday. He had it all layed out so I just grabbed it and came home. When I opened it up, he had forgot to put the brass with it. Got to pick it up sometime this week. Finally back to normal on my sleep and feeling a lot better.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
TAJ, There is a long story how I came to find the double HP's from Calhoon. I did call him and bought 250 for about $50 + shipping of about $8. James explained you have to keep the speed down to about 3600 fps or risk grey smoke. They shoot well in the Swift behind 42 grains of Hunter (Western). Over a chronograph I am getting 3650. The first WC I shot turned out to be a center of mass and he was pretty much unzipped. It was early and the critter was hardly bigger than a hamster. The one yesterday was full grown but not huge. He was lying down and it was a spinal (tail wagger). There was no carnage and only a couple of blood spots, no exit wound. When I rolled him over he was pretty much goo inside.
I have a lapped barrel so I might try hotrodding it a bit to see what happens. I have a preference to hitting what I am aiming at and not having to change a barrel too often.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Sunny and warm, approaching hot in the hollow. This is a short week due to the UBR Nationals beginning on Friday and a day before to travel, so I had to get to the grass early. I've done most of it, but there is still some to do with the push mower. Time for a break and a Guinness. Yesterday was a UBR match at Strategic Edge. WE shot meters and there were a couple of possible new records set. Conditions were taxing with switching winds and thick mirage. I'm having difficulty with a Cooper that has just been rebarreled. My hope is that I've caused a problem with the bedding, but in any case, something is badly wrong.

Back to the grass.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sunny and warm, approaching hot in the hollow. This is a short week due to the UBR Nationals beginning on Friday and a day before to travel, so I had to get to the grass early. I've done most of it, but there is still some to do with the push mower. Time for a break and a Guinness. Yesterday was a UBR match at Strategic Edge. WE shot meters and there were a couple of possible new records set. Conditions were taxing with switching winds and thick mirage. I'm having difficulty with a Cooper that has just been rebarreled. My hope is that I've caused a problem with the bedding, but in any case, something is badly wrong.

Back to the grass.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
I guess that splains your obviously low factory scores. LDS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just sat down, been prepping for painting, well again the WX is great when the season just starts to break, bout the only redeeming quality left for the Golden State. We're either going after a load of firewood or head to the gym. I have to find a new place to shoot Rock Chuck's (Yellow-bellied Marmot) will try and narrow search with Google Earth looking for rim rock, rock fences or just rocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts