Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
446° here in Upstate NY this morning, we are to have a high temperature today of about 62°. We have a chance of some showers today and tonight we are to get thunderstorms, some of which may be severe they say.

Peaceful nice day yesterday, in the morning I went up to the gun club and shot for awhile. In the afternoon I puttered around here and got some things cleaned up. Today it will be church this morning and just R&R.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Good morning from Bartonville Texas. 44 now. Cloudy and damp, high is 62. Hard rain most of the day yesterday, even a little hail.
I spent a good share of the day at the coffee shop. My wife was home with the 15 year old grandson who is recovering from having his wisdom teeth out on Friday. However the 17 year old went on a date Friday night and ended up with a severe migraine that put him in convulsions. His girlfriend got him to the hospital. He is still there. I am not sure what the story is. Parents are there also.
We probably won't make it to church this morning.

Hope everyone has a blessed Lord's day,
Ken

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Great mornin' y'all,

37°, a little breeze and a chance of snow/rain mix coming in from the south here near Halfway USA. Windy much of the day yesterday, At least we had sunshine and with got to have 53° for much of the day.

Yard work & brass prep occupied much of the day. I did some maintenance on the big doublewide & the slides are running in and out much better. Despite the wind, I took a chance & loaded the camper on the back of the ******* Limo. A little testing on the nerves but all went well.

Camper cleaning today, even if it's cold & wet outside. Packin' & sackin' to follow.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Good Sunday morning

40 with rain here in NC Ohio and more on the way. Hope the Damncow farmer got 3inches of grass!!! Yesterday was a good day for the garden work and body. not so today old aurther said "you gonna stay in this bed a while longer boy" Give Praise and Prayers for all those and the families suffering in the storms path. Mike

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 64 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Wore out...between hunting, birthday party, and putting
together a trampoline til after dark yesterday, I'm tired...
Supposed to storm today. High winds and rain, hope it ain't to bad.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
morning all. 22 with wind chill of 14. But should work out to be a nice day.
Worked on the big Case/ IH tractor yesterday morning. Has hyd. oil leaks under the cab. This is the forth time, the other times we had a service man come out and to the repair... they can do it next time too :eek:. What a pain, maybe that is why the boss man got a "deal" on this tractor.
We then moved and sorted one bunch of cows, had to get them off the alfalfa before some thing died!
Hope for some rest today. We'll brand some calves tomorrow, not sure how many yet.
Off to do chores and check for new babies, then to town for church and wally world.
Have a blessed Lords' day. Give Him thanks and praise for everything we have.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
13,797 Posts
Morning boys. It's 57 and foggy here in South central PA. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous...and I spent it sleeping off the crud. Didn't get anything done. Urgent care didn't say what I have but they gave me 3 scripts. Sickest I've been in a long time. Feeling quite a bit better today. I'll try to get a few things done today maybe, but a nap will be in order later I'm sure. Still not 100%. Gotta work tomorrow come hell or high water.

Time for coffee, breakfast and meds. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 60 in Louisville, going to 70. Rain started about 10 last night, but is stopped for the moment.

Charlie, just when I think I'm pretty good at smoking, something throws me a curve. I'm still learning the square electric "box smoker" I bought last November. I loaded up two 8-pound butts yesterday morning at 9 and set the temp at 225. I also hooked up my remote thermometer, which has one probe to insert in the meat and a second that monitors the cooker temp. This is a pretty high grade thermometer and I trust its accuracy. Bottom line is that this cook usually takes 12-13 hours, but this one went to 15 1/2 hours (12:30 a.m.) and I was still 7 degrees short of my target. I decided 12:30 was as late as I was gonna wait, and the meat felt fall-apart tender when I removed it. I usually let the butts cool just a little and then pull them. Due to the late hour, I wrapped 'em last night and went to bed; I'll pull 'em after church.

Y'all have a great day and be safe out there. I see a good nap in my future this afternoon.

·
Administrator
13,797 Posts
Sounds about right Mike. I do mine at 240-250° so they do a little quicker. Bottom line is every butt is different. They'll tell you when they are done and however long it takes is how long you need to do it. I find ambient temp makes a difference too. Cooler nights take longer than hot summer daytime smokes. Who knows?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Morning Gents! Its 46º and cloudy here headed for the upper 50's. We had bad T'Storms Friday night and most of the day yesterday. The power was off a few hours and the generator is giving me trouble.

I spent a few days at deer camp last week looking for a Turkey but didn't get one. It seems like the T'Storms last week messed with them some and they quit gobbling. Oh well, I'll go back in a few days for the rest of the season.

The kitchen is coming along nicely. They installed the backsplash while I was gone and I got the electrical put back together yesterday. All thats left is a couple of cabinet doors that had the wrong hinges and we have to go shop for a undercounted light. It will sure be good to get our life back to normal.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky where we have a very light rain or sprinkles right now. Not much has fallen but every little bit helps the grass MPC, i wish it grew 3 inches last night.

Judy Brown has gone to the care home to see her mom, so i don't suppose i will make church today. Last week they let me collect the offering but wouldn't let me keep any.
Yesterday i did some nailing loose boards on the barn, but i have a lot of repair left on the North end.

Ken's grandson sounds like he may be something serious....hope he improves. Likewise Charlie needs to get well so he can drive that ship of his. Dean has the ultimate Repair job, as anything Under the cab is a bad one.
Skruske, leave the brass, come down and we will drive nails in the barn. Its a ladder job.

You can pick up your new pet rabbit i bought for you at Rural King...since your other one died i thought you needed another.

Going to feed hay after the sprinkles stop, and that may be all i do today.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
49 here with rain overnight and more on the way.
Mike, speaking of smoking,Dad and I went to a local FINS lake and caught a few rainbows yesterday so I smoked them for supper. I’ve been contemplating an electric smoker like yours since all I have is a small charcoal one. It has seen more use in the past year than since I got it 6-7 years ago. It does a great job but it’s like a lot of folks here on the green board- it requires constant supervision.

Got the grass all mowed yesterday before the rain started. Much of this week will be spent tidying up for next weekend. Expecting a large crowd for Easter.

It was a busy week so I didn’t get out and fish much. Friends have been sending me pictures though and it is like torture knowing that the White bass are running without me there.

Thanks for sharing your Tennessee Tourist adventures with us JR. My wife and daughter just left so I think I’m gonna take a tour of the abandoned bathroom.

Make it a good day

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
KFishman, what model of electric smoker do you have exactly? I am sick of stoking the old Wood smoker I have been using the past few years. It is so much trouble I seldom use it anymore because I don't want to be tied to it for that long. I just started to ask you and I see Carl P asked the same question.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
JR ,I do not smoke a lot s oI just got a hot plate and a busted cast iron skillet and put that in the bottom of my bullet smoker. It took some fiddling and a little sheet metal work to block things off but it works with a lot less tending than using charcoal.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
68° and partly sunny this morning. I'm sitting at the kitchen bar waiting for a text to tell me that my wife's plane has left Chicago. It was supposed to have taken off an hour ago but it seems they have ice and snow and the deicing screwed up the electronics on the plane. Wonder if they have ever done this before? Also, wonder if everything in Chicago is screwed up. Sure seems like it.
By the time she gets here and I pick her up a good part of the day will be gone. Maybe there will be time to sit on the front porch and drink whiskey. One can hope.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good Morning all you varmints from up here on the wind blown prairie. Late to the show today. Barely woke up in time for church, got there just after service started and just got home now.
It’s 43 degrees out with a east wind of about 10 mph. There is a good snow melt going on. Ditches and cricks were running this morning so the water is moving of the fields. That might cause the Red River to crest again and come out of its banks up above Grand Forks and the Canadian border. Just hope they are ready for it. Spring break up is here, MAYBE!
The power company called yesterday noon and said they restored power. 53 hrs we ran the tractor on the generator and burnt over 100 gallons of diesel fuel. Pretty good load on it.
Had 4 calves last night in the calving barn. They are all doing fine so now that process is starting and that will keep everyone busy. Hope it warms up and quits snowing. We need to get them out on pasture as soon as the snow has gone off. The cow yard here is an absolute swill hole. It isn’t a good place to put calves.
Have a wonderful Palm Sunday and praise the Lord for all of his blessings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.