Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32° here in Upstate NY under partly cloudy skies this morning. The high temperature for today is to get up to about 50° they say and we could have winds up to 35 mph. We are to get rain tonight of up to possibly 1/2".

Yesterday I got to go hunting with Rusty and once again we went to two coverts I hadn't hunted about in four years. We actually hunted one half of one before this year and the other one we hadn't in four years. After we got done hunting I went from them a different route than we went in and I saw three other coverts that I haven't hunted in a few years and I had more or less forgotten about. We probably won't get to them this year as our deer season open here Nov.21st. Today my wife and I will go to church this morning and then probably just take life easy the rest of today.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, yesterday was gloomy and wet, I spent the day scanning the Ideal Handbooks. Today is 36, cloudy and dropping. Winds of 30 to 40 mph all day. Church all morning then take easy in the afternoon.
Hope it's nicer where you are,
Ken

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good Sunday morning from NC Ohio where its 51 and wet and did I say windy?? They say we could get 50 gusts by afternoon. So glad the successful hunters posted pictures, it gives us home locked oldies the joy of your hunt. Hard to tell what I'll get into today except to give Praise for the things I have. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Morning folks. 37 here and clear for now. Big front coming with rain and high winds. I changed things up and went to my MD spot this morning. House is dead. 5 does and 2 fawns last night, no bucks around. My luck there will be 10 there this morning. See what happens here. We have Thanksgiving dinner at Sue's parents house at noon, so I'll be gone before the weather.

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 55 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Supposed to rain here sometime afternoon of evening.
Kinda tired this morning, between deer craving and staying up
later than I had been. A friend is in from Ohio at my uncle's and we
visited last nite after we got in from hunting. Didn't see anything close
yesterday evening and then only does. Hope you get a biggin Charlie...
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good morning, fellow GGVG'ers. 26 degrees, calm and a bit gray here this morning in NW CT . Rain expected this evening but that won't affect my plans of working firewood this morning. Did a bunch yesterday and blew all the leaves off the lawn AGAIN. Leaves are better than 90% down so maybe one more go with the blower and that will be it for this year. Hope you all have a productive and enjoyable day.
Ken

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Same here as in MPC’s neck of the woods it’s 54 and windy as all get out. The wind chimes on the deck woke me up a few times last night and the weatherman just said that the really heavy wind will be here between 1 and 2 this afternoon. walked down the hill yesterday to cut up a tree that had fallen. Took some of the wood but most of it was too rotten to mess with. Sure did enjoy the deer pictures and stories from yesterday. My son didn’t take a shot. He said he only saw does and most of them were rather small. My cousin missed a shot on yet another world record. That seems to happen at lest every couple years. He’s the same guy who caught five 22” crappie in one day but of course he didn’t have any pictures. i still enjoy visiting with him and hearing his tales.
My nephew sent me before-and-after pictures of his deer. He only started hunting last year and took a doe then. This year he went old-school and took his buck with a 30-30 he got from me.

For those keeping score....according to Kentucky’s telecheck Website, there were 31,276 deer legally harvested this year going into yesterday morning. This morning that total is up to 52264 .

Be safe out there and make it a good day.
7260A20A-498C-4555-91F2-77991024AD8C.jpeg
547606F6-0B36-4505-BCE3-AACFEB3142DD.jpeg

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 53* and windy now, rain moving in this afternoon. I sure enjoyed all the deer pics and stories yesterday thanks for sharing them. Not much going on here today, I'm gonna fire up the new dehydrator and make some apple chips today. I'm going to fix Kate some breakfast, french toast. Have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods, keep Praying for our Country!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 10 above this morning, not sure what the high will be, but at least the wind isn't blowing yet. Got 50+mph gusts yesterday and yes, the dirt did blow!!!!
Didn't get the rifle sighted in yet, hope to get that done first thing this morning, before the wind starts up.
Make not make church this morning, but plan to. Boss man has two trucks coming to haul calves off for tomorrows sale. Then we have to get all the cows in for preg testing, we'll get them in this afternoon.
Didn't do much else yesterday but stayed in out of the damwind!!!!
Have a blessed Lords' day, give Him thanks and praise. Keep our country in prayer and those in need also.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 56 in Louisville and staying right there until it drops tonight. Right now I see no wind at all, but our weather is pretty close to Carl's, so the heavy stuff may not be coming for a bit yet. I did wake up some time last night hearing thunder. That's significant because I wear a CPAP mask and it takes a really loud noise to awaken me.

My hunting buddy called last night and we decided to take today off because of the wind and 100% rain forecast. We have a fair number of dead and damaged trees in our area and he said the forecast wind gusts of 40-50 would likely bring down some of that dead wood. Not good to be in the woods when that's happening. We'll get back at 'em tomorrow. Sure hope I can sleep tonight. Only got 2-3 hours Friday night and opening day was rough.

Congrats to all of you who scored yesterday. I saw some really nice deer photos here.

Y'all have a good day, keep things tied down, and be safe.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Rain is falling quite well on the hunters in the woods and fields and the old thermo says it’s 48 degrees. In the house it’s dry and 70. The freezer is full of beef, pork, and chicken so unless Red T. Bassett has to go out, here is where I’ll stay. The weather folk say to expect winds of 50 MPH Later today. The Detroit Lions the indoor sissies, play this afternoon so expect a trifecta with Michigan and Michigan State. You can place your bets with me.

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Well, my quiet morning is over. The landowner just fired up the lawn mower and leaf vac. He's far enough away I may still see deer, but he hasn't pushed anything to me yet. Definitely isnt helping. I did see 2 does and 4 dink bucks before 730 this morning. Seeing as this may be my last trip to MD before gun season, I may shoot the next deer that walks by. LOL License cost me $200. Need a return on my investment.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Morning all, 62 headed to 64, one squall line thru and another on the way. Wife did not see squat yesterday evening, not even a squirrel. I shot my buck at roughly 275yds, give or take a yard or two. Broke both shoulders and a exit hole the size of a coke can. I was shooting a 140 BTSP Sierra out of my Savage 6.5x284 @ 3100fps give or take. Did an excellent job. I may retire Helga, my 6.5x55 Swede, I have hunted with since 1985 when I built it. Has taken a ton of deer, coyotes and over 600 groundhogs since then. The last time I shot it on paper it put 3 in 1"@ 300yds. This evening will be good the last 2 hours of daylight, all the deer will be up moving after this front goes thru, and food sources such as corn will be hit hard. Church in a few, then going around this evening checking ground blinds to make sure they arent blown away. Good luck to all our hunters, Remember our country in prayer, Buff out.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Choot...Choot...fill the freezer...lol
Tucker always pumped his fist when he shot 1 when he was little and say
"meat for moms freezer"... Memories I'll never forgdt.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good morning everyone from the living room. Rain and high wind today and I'm not sitting in it. I have a dump truck that got dropped off at the shop yesterday that I need to go fix today. Hopefully I can get it in the shop or it won't get done today.
Loaded up a few more 260ai last night after I had to pull about 30 rounds that were too spicy.
Looks like they are shutting things bad down here for the damn covid. Our county is in the red zone. A bunch of people are out where my wife works sick or quarantined with the Chinese virus.

Hope everyone stays safe and out of the nasty wind today!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Got off my butt and went out in the cold, before sunup and shot the kids 30-06, got it sighted in. Kinda cool out at 13 above but glad I did it then. Wind is starting again now. It was eight inches high and six to the left when I first shot it. So much for someones bore sighting!!!
Better get.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good day boys. Late to the party this morning. It was 55 when I left the house at 6:45 and is down to 45 now. Looks like it's gonna' keep dropping all day and into the 30s overnight. Wind is blowing pretty good around here. Might break my kite string so I'm staying indoors.

My old breakfast buddy was AWOL yesterday morning. When I called to check on him, he said was feeling better and he'd show up this morning. When he walked into the restaurant, the waitress said "you need to go to the hospital"! He looked like 40 miles of bad road! Between me and his son, we talked him into going to the ER. Waiting to hear the verdict but it will likely by a while. He said he's been really tired but hasn't had a fever. They check all the employees and checked him, too. No fever. We shall see. If he's got covid there's a bunch of us who will be quarantining and getting checked.

Carl, they used to say the 30-30 has taken more deer than any other cartridge. Wonder if that still holds true. Sounds like KY is trying to solve an over population of deer. Quick math says 21K in one day!

Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
“Might break my kite string so I’m staying indoors” Never heard that one before. One you might consider using is “If today was a fish, I’d throw it back”.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts