Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
29° under clear starry skies here in Upstate NY this morning. We are supposed to have snow/rain showers and then rain for both today and tonight. The high temperature for today will get up to about 40°.

Yesterday was opening day of gun season for deer but it was a quiet day. One shot just about 7:00AM around here nothing more and I heard three or four shots across the river during the day. I spent my day starting to get ready for winter. I stored my lawn mower and got my snow blower ready for when I need it, put my hunting clothes, dog bells, etc away. Today we are going to stay home from church and I am going to just take life easy.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
A good Sunday morning from NC Ohio. 39 going to 44 and did I say rain, looks like all day. Don't know what I'll get into today but I kinda like George's plan. Be safe give Praise Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 50 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
No deer were harmed yesterday from the RUGERMITES...
The little monster didn't get to see anything but I think she'll
want to go back. I seen more squirrel than I think I've ever seen
in 1 evening, they was everywhere. I'd see sometimes 3 or 4 in view without
turning my head about all evening. And it wasn't the same 1s, they were coming from my left and going across the point all in the same direction...Elijah seen 1 spike and I seen 1 for was all the rest we seen. I'll try to post a pic of the new deer hunter in a few...you all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 34 and damp, rain is coming for most of the day, high of 41.
Yesterday was grocery shopping and tinkering with guns, including a neat vintage Weaver VX 2.75x5 scope that came to live here.
Church this morning and the truck needs fuel.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
46° and calling for about a half-inch of rain today. I got 100 rounds of 30-06 loaded yesterday for my buddy’s M-1 Garan. Cleaned, sized, and primed some 300 Blackout brass while I was at it. According to the F&W website, 97,000 Kentucky deer have been checked in so far this year.I haven’t seen any around the house here in the last few days but my wife saw a Fox last week so I dug out the trail cam yesterday to try to get some pictures of it. More brass sorting and reloading today.
Looks like Shane connected with another coyote yesterday.....get’em all. Hope Skruske can put in an appearance soon. Wonder if Charlie saw any bears yesterday ?

Make it a good day wherever you are.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Great morning folks,

34° with cloud cover and not much will change about that today here near HalfwayUSA.

I'm back a bit early from deer camp as I had to come out of the woods to handle the affairs of my old hunting partner. He was hospitalized again while I was in the U.P. Though there wasn't much I could actually do, securing his house & some of his property was important. Deb & I were on the road back north early & got things taken care of around his house.

His condition is such that, sadly, I will be helping to manage his decline for however long it takes. While he & I have a thorough understanding of what that means, others - friends & one daughter - are making demands but they cannot change what will come. At 86 years old, with a failing heart & lungs, he knows it will be his time to go. It's been up to me to keep the others from projecting their emotion onto him.

Deb & I also took much of the day yesterday to get some errands caught up.

As for deer hunting, here are just a couple pics to get you a flavor of hunting in the far western U.P.

First off, the main logging road I ride in on was washed out over a stream about 200yds from the old county road. A beaver dam gave way in this past Spring during heavy rain. I didn't even bother unloading the 4 wheeler on opening day. I just walked in the 2 or so miles to where I wanted to start to hunt. I covered 4-6 miles a day while hunting on top of the walk in & out.

I knew there was a decent buck around the area I was hunting as it is prime country. Cover, water, terrain and most importantly, doe travel through it.

I did have something fun & unusual happen. I was slow walking up a hill when I saw movement above me about 80yds. It was in the big hardwoods but it was behind a cluster of trees. I edged closer as it put it's head down to feed in the acorns. I got within 40yds in the quiet snow before the young doe turned & looked down at me. It turned around as I stood still but didn't run off. After a few minutes of it bobbing it's head to get me to move, I raised up my leg & dropped it back down mimicking the behavior I'd seen doe do in the past. I'll be darned, the young one was began walking down the slope toward me. It was not alarmed as I raised my leg & dropped it again. After a few minutes it was within 15yds.

It took maybe 10 minutes before it moved off, continuing to my left. I moved further up the hill in search of more. About 10 minutes later I did see 3 more. Those were doe too. Later in the afternoon I passed up a shot on a 4 point I had in the crosshairs.

Next day was a bit breezy & the deer were laying down and difficult to approach. Slow walking was the plan. I did see 5 that day but no horns were displayed.

Thrill of the day, seeing this rather fresh wolf track. It was among the biggest I've seen & was likely only about 2-3 hours old. I laid a 30-06 round in the track to give you an idea of size.

The trip home was uneventful, though it was slow going on the Mackinaw Bridge because of cross winds & gusts.

Today the camper gets cleaned out from deer hunting & made ready for the next trip, when ever that will be. I have one tire on the truck slowly losing air. Thankfully it is an outside dual wheel & I will manage it for a little while by slowly adding air as needed.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Good morning all. We've got light rain and 39 degrees in Indy. Supposed to get to a steamy 43 for a high with rain continuing. Started up my post hip surgery exercise routine again yesterday. More to keep me from growing roots than anything else. Of course, I over did it and I'm a little sore this morning. I'll get after it again soon as I have some breakfast. I should spend some time in the man cave today but that's just sitting around for the most part. Maybe size some more of the .204 mountain. I've got a reasonable amount of .17 FB and .223 brass primed so there's no chance I'll actually run out of things to do. Breakfast is ready.

Good day to all, hunters and others.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Good morning folks from the sticks of Kentucky where it is 53° and weatherguessers hav promised showers this afternoon. Maybe. Most seem to be hitting Doug Pancake Roberts.

We picked up the litl Demon yesterday morning and she had a rough trip. She got Car Sick and Threw up in Jesse's truck a few miles from the meet point. It was a MESS. I took the Water hose to her car seat and a lot of other stuff.
Yall parents out there "know." Kids.

FB, I had a Basset hound long ago and they have a great nose. Sawed off Bloodhounds actually.
Glad to see Mr. Skruske show up today with photos, he should have killed that Wolf. Before it killed him.

Another photo of another JD in the upcoming Auction for mr. 2 Feathers.
I was there checking out a Vermeer Hay Mower that is on the site.

Yesterday, I sawed a dead tree off my electric fence and have another one to get off today. Litl Demon went along and was really interested in the Chain Saw.
A fella who is trying to Deer Hunt on my land reported to me that he saw 3 Bobcats on the hill behind my house. One was a Big Tomcat who would make a nice Pet lying on the couch. JB says No Bobcat kittens.
I let this fella hunt and tell him to leave the Bobcats alone, I sure would like to have a baby one.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Good Sunday mornin from the Mountain State, it's 50* here and into the mid 60's this afternoon. Weather man says some rain late this afternoon, any outside chores will be done early. We were so busy yesterday at the Country Store, my old bones are still feeling the effect, we sold five bins of deer apples and four tons of corn, I don't know how many propane bottles I filled. Not going to do much today, my daughter wants some apple chips so that's about it. I'm making some french toast so stop on by and I''l share, have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods.
JR thanks for posting the JD's I like looking at them!

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Joe, what kind of Apple's were they ?
A buddy from Ohio always stops somewhere in WV
and brangs us some Melrose. I think they are the best.

Donnie

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. At 7:30 it's 51 in Louisville, going to 57. We had showers off and on yesterday and that's increasing a little today. Calling for maybe 1/4 inch of rain.

I mentioned a few days ago that I have an experiment going, trying to grow winter lettuce under clear storage boxes, kind of a mini-greenhouse. I'm happy to announce both the lettuce and sinach have germinated and are looking good. Temps for the next week will be from the 40s to upper 50s, which should be fine for small plants.

Cindy had two turkeys to cook yesterday and I did one of them for her in my 'lectric box smoker. I injected the bird with Creole Butter and put a Cajun rub on the outside. Into the smoker at 230 and it was ready in something just under 4 hours (as I recall). I used cherry for the smoke, and it came out real good, both flavor and color. Should have taken a photo. Wish I'd started earlier this week and soaked both birds in a good brine, which would have made them even juicier.

Glad you're back home, Skruske, and really sorry about your friend who's nearing the finish line. He couldn't have chosen a better person as his executor.

Kermit, I'm glad you figured out how to post photos and I really enjoyed the ones you took of the new hunter, Kinley.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
morning all. 27 this morning, not sure what the high will be but I'll bet the wind blows again, storm moving in for tonight and tomorrow.
Really didn't do much but chores yesterday, got a couple dead end, and private drive sighs up along our road. Really get tired of people pulling into our yard thinking the road goes thru!!!
County has had a dead end sigh up for ever but people just can't read any more!
Also got some 40s&w loaded up and my 9mm carry cleaned. I don't think I'd shot it since the last cleaning but riding in the pickup really gets the grit down in them.
Off to do chores then church in the living room again. Then who knows? May go for a drive a see if I can find a elk to whack.
Have a great day and be safe and healthy. Give God thanks and praise for all we are and have.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
We are at 37 degrees and the very light snow is falling. Glad to see Skruske got over the Mighty Mac. There was a time when we crossed the bridge about every three weeks or month at least. We had two grandkids going to Northern Michigan University and Michigan Technological University at different times. My wife was never comfortable crossing the bridge. She didn’t want to take the outside lane and didn’t want me driving on the grid inside lane so she just hunched down and closed her eyes. I’m not sure if she ever took advantage of the beautiful view up there. I know she didn’t want me looking out over the rail.
Too bad that Skruske’s report didn’t include pictures of the buck that didn’t get away. I’m amazed that you even saw a deer.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Morning all, 60 headed to 64 today, rain on the way. Had a great weekend with daughter and family, they are leaving in about 4 hours, hate to see them go. The youngun and I went deer hunting last night, no deer were seen or harmed. Might have somthing to do with her flipping her chair over 4 times, knocking my shooting sticks over and making a big ruckus, I laughed my butt off. She loves getting the chickens eggs, brought one in yesterday that was still very warm, I asked her did she squeeze it out of the chicken? LOL. KF I have had great luck growing winter garden, it is low work/upkeep. It just takes about twice as long to grow, with limited daylight. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
45º with some clouds at sunrise here 15 miles north of Music City. We'll like see rain by afternoon with a high in the mid 60's. Still some very fine weather for November in Middle TN. I spent most of the day with tarcila as we drove to the range for a new member orientation. She sat in as she has never had one and as a family member it was useful. She actually learned some things that she had not heard before. Then we had lunch at a mexican restaurant in the little town of Hartsville and were pleasantly surprised with a very good lunch and a couple of Dos Equixx drafts. Today will be prep for the week ahead, a couple of orders to fill and maybe time to work on the 22 PPC brass.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Well I'm finally checking in this morning. Got home from shooting the coyote last night and we was supposed to go have dinner with my mom and step-dad which turned out to be an early surprise 50th birthday party for me....which is why I am just now checking in. Too many free drinks and shots at the VFW. I guess today is going to be recovery day although I don't feel too bad just tired.
Maybe I'll go out later for coyotes if it isn't raining. Probably have a few things to do around the house before Thanksgiving as well.
Stay safe everyone.

·
Administrator
11,871 Posts
Good afternoon varmints. It's 47 back home in SCPA. It was 34, windy and raining in the mountain this morning, so we slept in, had breakfast, packed and headed home. Of course we get out of the mountain and it's 42 and cloudy, no rain. I guess we should have hunted? Anyway, I found my bear at bass pro. Already drug out, skinned and stuffed.

I am fairly certain I almost got one yesterday morning. Was sitting on a narrow ridge at a saddle and something was coming up the bench below me. The wind swirled and all I heard was a woof/huff sound and then all hall broke loose as it was getting out of there. I'm positive it was NOT a deer or coyote. It sounded like a herd of elephants running down the mountain. We sat until noon, had lunch and tried somewhere else in the afternoon but nary a tweety bird was seen.

I'm having issues with the site. George/Murl, do you guys need to do the 2-step authorization thing as moderators? I have to do it every month. For some damn reason my SPAM filter cut the notification email off this time? Pain in the butt!

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Greyfox, next time you get to a Mexican restaurant, see if they carry Modelo Negra. It isn't a stout but a decent dark beer that goes well with Mexican food.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Greyfox, next time you get to a Mexican restaurant, see if they carry Modelo Negra. It isn't a stout but a decent dark beer that goes well with Mexican food.
TM,
I drink Modelo on occasion and have no complaints about it. Most Mexican restaurants in Middle TN have dark DE on draft and I prefer that. Actually my current favorite brews are those from Bells Brewery in Comstock MI. These would include Amber Ale, Oberon, and Double Cream Stout, which is seasonal. Nothing wrong with Modelo though.

Rick

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I've not seen a Dos Equis dark in any of the Mexican restaurants we frequent, let alone a dark on tap. I have Bells Oberon and Three Floyd Alpha King in my fridge right now, but rarely have any bottles or cans in the house. With the pandemic, we haven't been going anywhere for meals or the local craft beers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts