Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies with another 1" of snow on the ground overnight. The high for today is to get up to about 30° and be a sunny day. We just keep getting an inch or so of snow everyday it seems lately.

I had to go get blood work yesterday for my upcoming Dr. on Tuesday. When I got home I worked on computers the rest of the day. I got one here I have put a new hard drive in and load up and another I have to reload the OS on. I will work a little bit today and then take the rest of the day easy.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 13* here and the stars are shinning, temps in the upper 30's today. I'm headed to Glade after while, sure was a busy place yesterday. I sorted through some 30/30 brass last night I'm not going to use, I'll put some in the reloading section when I get finished. I better get moving, you all have a good day, and be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 22 now, 28 and snow later. 3 or 4 inches.I am working the sound booth at church today, busy day.
I won a Ebay auction for a very rare Grigsby press yesterday. Now I am waiting on FedEx.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good Sunday morning from NC Ohio were at 4* going to 32 for the first time in a while. My old hunting partner was out yesterday and cleared all the snow that I can actually move about the property. There's no way to express how thankful I am for the help. Good to hear Bruce is better and posting. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
214 Posts
15 degrees here in CT this morning with a pretty good wind blowing at times. Might make it to freezing but if that winds hangs around, it's gonna stay chilly. Not sure what I'll get in to today; tumbled some 44 mag last night, may charge them up with something mild to plink with. I'm partial to 7-8 grains of Unique with a cast 240 LSWC. I checked the load data on these empties, they were loaded in '95! I think I emptied them about 3 years ago. They were a much more powerful load, with jacketed 240 grain SWC.
Another storm is forecast for tomorrow then a warm up to near 40 for a few days. We need to get out of this pattern of a storm every 2-4 days; it's getting old. 40 is going to feel downright mild, I think.
Hope you all have a good day and again, we're one day closer to spring and warmer days.
Ken

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning everyone,

As morning twilight shows in the east we have a chilly 3° with a high going to the low 30's later here near HalfwayUSA.

The trip to my old hunting partner's place got things done as needed. His house is plenty warm with the woodstove carrying the BTU load. I moved in more firewood so he's set for a few more days. That's what it's doing to take too as he did not call the HVAC company and confirm he wanted a new furnace installed. :eek::rolleyes: He seemed to be okay with waiting until Monday or Tuesday next(this) week. I'm not sure exactly what thought process went on for the decision but I can manage it.

As we have done several other times, we went through a stack of pictures. How's this one for going back a few years to 1978.

My old hunting partner & I after an all day ordeal dragging two deer to camp when the snow was falling hard and over two feet deep when we left camp in the morning. We had his Arctic Cat snowmobile about 4 miles from camp out in the big hardwoods. We had it buried more times than I could count. Hit numerous trees too. All that to retrieve his and my dad's deer. I was a strong 20 year old that year. I only had two days to hunt as I could not take any more than a Saturday & Sunday to away from college. As it was, Saturday was used up dragging & Sunday we were too exhausted to go out & I caught my ride back to campus in Marquette Michigan in the afternoon.

Chores to catch up on around here for today. Debra & I have to get our vehicles washed as it has been far too cold to be able to do so in about a month. They poor trucks look pretty awful right now.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 22 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
It got up close to 40 yesterday. Sure was nice to see JR and JB
yesterday. Wish we could have went in and had dinner someplace
but nothing is open yet. Still good to see them and chat for awhile.
Got to pull the trigger a few times yesterday and get some smoke therapy.
I may go get the fly tie'in stuff and tie up a few today. We got some different
color feathers yesterday while we was out. You all have a gooden today
and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Skruske, thanks for sharing the picture of you and your old hunting partner. I am following with great interest you and
he sharing what is probably your last trip. It brings back bittersweet memories of times old partners and I talked about when we would revisit some misery we were currently sharing when we would be sitting on the porch in our rocking chairs. That never happened for me as all my partners now in their eternal homes and I am not. I still enjoy the memories but miss their companionship like it was yesterday.

Best,
Dave

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning folks. It is a chilly 20 here this morning, but looks like the winds are mild. Not nearly as bad as yesterday. More snow tomorrow I think.

Well I know I said I wasn't going to do #$%^ yesterday, but I did. I cleaned the basement some more. Miss Sue has a bad habit of letting junk mail and such pile on the counter. Then it somehow manages to find itself in a box stuffed somewhere out of sight when she cleans. I yanked several of those boxes out if there along with boxes of clothes from my son and daughter, and toys. Doesn't help when food and candy are also in the boxes. Unfortunately mice were thru EVERYTHING and created a mess.

Today I have to run to Walmart for some bird seed, TS was out Friday, and poison for the mice. Then I need to hit the bank to deposit a check in MAC. I'll burn a whole pile of papers and stuffed animals full of mice shit when I get home. With 8" of ice covering most places, no chance of burning the whole place down.

Coffee first. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Looks as though we’re the onliest ones with no temperature in fact we owe you one degree. I “reconciled“ the check book before coming on here. We’re good to go. Don’t know what we’ll do today but it sure as heck won’t be gardening. I’ll tell you tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Good morning from the chilly sticks of Kentucky at 18° but going to near 50° today.
Miss Sue and Miss JB must be Twins as I contend with the same Hoarding of useless crap, but they grab important stuff and cramp it in there also.
No idea where it went....

Skruske that couldn't be You....you were never 20 yr old. I don't think I ever was....
Good to see Donnie and Tucker yesterday and we had a good visit. We made a date for King Buffet Chinese restaurant in the future.
Today is Pizza day for myself and JB as we have a date in the parking lot eating out of a Box again. She has a Virus vaccine scheduled tomar.
I don't things will ever be the way they were before....ammo, primers, gun prices, Walmart, Mask wearing, but I am looking forward to a better summer.

This is Not the way you want to come into this world. He was about frozen when I got there but i got him on some hay out in the sun and he slowly recovered. I think.
Dean sent me a photo of a big white headed buzzard sitting in the tree in his yard. Waiting for his momma cat to show herself.

and his refurbished gunstock in the final stages...

It was nice to hear from Bruce yesterday. Maybe Coyote George and Mr Murl will show up soon.
Have a good SAFE day folks.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Well, there you are JR. The perfect time for a nice warm quilt. You’re going to have to take to the needle arts.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
19° right now but the sun is bright and it is warming up quick. Looks like it’s gonna be one of those days where you can hear the snow melting all day. I’m gonna give myself a haircut and finish unloading the trailer Of extra wood that I brought up before the big snow last week. We didn’t use hardly any of it but most of it will get burned later this week. I would not have recognized Skruske in that picture. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him without glasses And I know I’ve never seen him with facial hair. Thanks to everyone who shares their pictures on the board. If anything interesting ever happens around here, I will post a picture of it. JR...those pictures of JB playing in the snow were priceless !
Hope to hear from George again soon. Prayers offered for those in need .
Make it a good Sunday.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
Hello from the snow covered northern Ozarks 36* on the way too 42 at this late time, clear and sunny outside. I haven't done much for a few weeks now and still not planning on much. I went to the surgical center of the hospital last Wednesday and got a shot in my spine, they had to put me out to do that. It really wasn't that bad until all the novacain wore off. It still did not do what it was supposed to, will have to try something different.
I really do thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers, they are a blessing. I feel real good about a doctor who will come to the room you are in and pray with you before any kind of procedure. Thanks again for your prayers, God bless each of you, and God bless America.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Morning all, 30 headed to 50 today, sounds great. We are supposed to be 50-60 for the next 4 days. Was going to church till I got up, with a hip out of place, managed to pop it back in, but can barely get around the house with a walker. Donnie I appreciate your getting the package up to JR. Let me know when you are coming back up some day and we will get together. Our mail ran yesterday for the first time in a week. I had several packages held up at the post office, that did not get here yet, but they will. You all have a good one, remember those on here in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Sam, we will let you know when we get to meet to eat and shoot the bull.
hope it opens up soon, it's getting old not being able to visit and eat a bite
inside a building.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
21º at sunrise, but the sun is shining bright and the thermometer is rising steadily. We are expecting the low 50's by afternoon and most of the snow should be gone by dark. My solar panels are nearly clear so they should be making more energy to sell back to TVA. I spent the better part of yesterday depriming and swaging 223 brass. I have much more of it than I thought and will probably be listing some for sale soon. Too bad I can't sell the used primers. Not sure what will get done today, but I'm thinking of doing the annual checkbook balance for tax purposes. It will surely take more than a day and my accountant won't know how to handle it if I get him the information on time so that he doesn't need to file and extension.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Late morning all. 22 now with wind chill of 7, was about 18 earlier. High in the upper 20s.
Chores and checking cows over with for the morning. Breakfast also over, still working on coffee.
Another new calf here but not on a snow bank like JRs.
Going to be a windy cold day but the sun is shining!!!
Got my 7mm08 remmy all put back together after the re-do on the stock, thanks JR for posting my pics... again.
JR, you can tell JB that Gwyn in quilting in the house now! Doing a really old one that was given to her, she's going to do it by hand!!!
Better get around for church on the couch again, not sure what else I'll get done today, maybe nothing!
Give God praise and thanks for all we have, prayers for those in need and our country.
Have a blessed day.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 34º here with the Sun shining and is headed for the mid 40's. There are chances of rain starting late this afternoon going into tonight.

The housekeeper called unexpectedly yesterday morning wanting to make up for a missed day earlier in the week. So I hid out in the loading room. Didn't do much but piddle, listen to a little music and watch the birds through the window.

Not much planned for today. Someone has set up a drive through line at Church to give shots and I guess we will take my Mom by there for Hers. I need to get out with a shovel and move some snow thats drifted up in front of the garage door.

Its good to hear from Mr Murl and Bruce. Both of them have been in our prayers.

Prayers offered for those fighting the Chinese virus, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Well we're about 5 hours from check in and we have one dog down. It was a hog barn coyote my buddy missed the first shot at about 70 yards then proceeds to wait until its on a run to get a head shot. We ranged back and it was 238 yards.....we'll take the lucky shot!
Deep snow has slowed everything down and just today been seeing the most activity....of coarse one was on the side of I70....don't think they'd like us shooting from the interstate. 😆
Hopefully we can get one more shot at least!

Hope everyone has a good day!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts