Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The sun was bright and I had been sitting in the computer room too long. So I took a ride to one of the ranches where I can shoot coyotes and ground squirrels. Well, they had plowed the field and I didnt want to drive over the plowed field to the back where I could call coyotes. I decided to check out the Contender in 17 HMR. I fired about 85 rounds and probably got about 50 ground squirrels. I recently put the Nikon scope on the rifle and wanted to see how it works. Works well and just about right for the 17 HMR.

Here is a view to the North West. The coyote calling area is about a mile to the left and I would have had to drive over the fresh plowed field. I didnt want to put tracks on the field.

Here is the Weaver base on the Contender with the Kwick Site rings. They make a good solid combination for mounting a scope on a Contender barrel.

One of the ground squirrels looks like he is sleeping it off, but it is going to take a long time. I put the damaged side down on the ground squirrels. Looks like the male ground squirrel was well equipted, but should have stayed in his hole today.

A view if the country side. There were islands of grass around the base of each oak tree and that was where the ground squirrels were hanging out.

Good Hunting... from Varmint Al

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice pictures and shoot

Al, You sure do a nice job of posting multiple pictures. The ground squirrels you shot look almost as big as PDs. I have a similiar contender 17 HMR carbine but it has a thumbhole stock.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Nice day Al..........

And those are some plump ground sqwerls :)

What power is your Nikon Monarch? Looks like my 4x12, but maybe more compact. Sure like mine.

Good to see you get out and about on a sunny Sunday

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sweet rifle!! Good job on the shootin' and the pics, Al:) My HMR also wears a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5--about perfect for the caliber against small targets.
Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And those are some plump ground sqwerls :)

What power is your Nikon Monarch? Looks like my 4x12, but maybe more compact. Sure like mine.

Good to see you get out and about on a sunny Sunday
SKYPILOTBC is correct. Here is the skinny on the scope:

The scope is a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch and it seems to be quite bright and has a sharp focus. The image is in focus out the the edge of the field of view. It has a large depth of field. Here is a link to where I got it:
http://www.riflescopes.com/products...hem and I decided to try one out. Good scope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts