Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new Savage B22 .22wmr. I was taking the factory installed scope bases off, or at least trying to. The front screw was completely cross threaded and the threads on the screw were ruined. Luckily looking as best as I could I don't think the threads on the receiver are. The 2nd screw on the front mount must've been installed by impact driver and stripped before I did anything with it!
The screws for the rear mount were in better condition, but the one screw looks as if there was debris in the hole when it was tightened because of the threads being worn.
I'm contacting Savage tomorrow. I purchased a B22 FV-SR a couple years ago and it had the exact same problem with the front screw being cross threaded.. I just didn't contact them because I figure a .22lr is ok with a 1 piece mount and only 1 screw in the front.
I'm calling them tomorrow morning. SUPER SAD FACE! Anyhow, thanks for reading my vent. Have a GREAT TURKEY DAY! I'm thankful I can have and can complain about such 1st world problems such as this!
Steven
Gas Fixture Composite material Circle Metal
Grey Fixture Gas Circle Metal
Material property Camera accessory Gas Household hardware Auto part

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
It is a shame some of the things that aren't caught in the factories before they get out. Somebody might have figured it won't matter, the person who gets it won't notice as they will use it as it was bought. Speaks highly of the quality control, NOT!

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I’m a Savage fan but the first one I bought had the same issue. Model 12FV .223. The “smith” at the shop retapped the holes and wrote it off to mass production. That gun is long gone and so is the shop but we have Savages in 4 calibers now. A couple others have come and gone. With apologies to Kermit, I still think they’re the most “bang for the buck”! Hope yours get fixed. A semi auto .22 WMR is more fun than you might think.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Steven, please let us know how your conversation with Savage customer service goes and then how well they follow through. I believe strongly in word of mouth recommendations and I believe it's important for customers to share such experiences. I'm a big Savage fan, but if they're now letting crap like that get out of the factory, that loyalty could change.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Preacher friend bought a new Savage 6.5 creed and we took it to Mike to thread. Mike called in a couple of days and said the barrel hike was so off center he couldn’t thread it. Sent Gun back to Savage and they sent another one…..guess what. Yup second one was off center too.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Preacher friend bought a new Savage 6.5 creed and we took it to Mike to thread. Mike called in a couple of days and said the barrel hike was so off center he couldn’t thread it. Sent Gun back to Savage and they sent another one…..guess what. Yup second one was off center too.
Man, that sounds an awful lot like what we saw with Remington. They were sending guns out the door with metal chips still in the bore. I'm pretty sure customers begged and pleaded, told them how their fan base would react, and still the cost-cutting bean counters prevailed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A semi auto .22 WMR is more fun than you might think.
Doug, this rifle is replacing a 597 .22wmr. The 597 .22wmr was misrepresented on gun broker. It was suppose to be a varmint barrel, it was not. It did not shoot nearly as well as the 597 wmr it was replacing (stolen from my garage). So, I'm hoping this new one will be more accurate than the semi-auto.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I was spending a lot of time on rimfire central when the great 597 magnum debacle took place. By most accounts, Remington screwed a bunch of folks in the 597 recall. Several guys just said screw Rem their guns shot fine. Similar deal with Ruger’s 10/22M but Ruger at least gave back guns of equal value. I have two 10/22 magnums. One has a Green Mtn barrel and other internal mods. It runs fine, is very accurate, and fun to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts