scale. It arrived Monday, and last night I finally got to warm it up,
and run it through some tests. Whoohee baby this thing is ACCURATE,
and repeatable. It makes the previous electronic scale(accurate to +/- .1 gr),
look pretty crude. By my tests, it looks to be accurate to +/- .02 gr, and
I am thinking I am going to have a bit bigger error term, in some extruded
powders, just due to powder grain sizes. A nice problem to have! I am looking
forward to getting some accurate charge weights, into my hand loading
work.

Again thanks to James for the great service!

Squeeze

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an older Denver Instruments lab scale and love it. I got a great deal on it used in a pawn shop ($35) the only gripe about it is I have to let it warm up, but after that it's a very accurte scale.. if I don't warm it up the tare weight I set with the pan will void some... but it's easy to tell when this happens the weight will not go back to normal when you sit the empty pan, or remove it.

Enjoy it, they sure save a lot of time. I have dealt with James a few times... a stand up guy for sure

Clint

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprised

I was a little surprised by the 1 hour warm up time, called for in the
manual, but I guess I should not have been. As I recall from some very
faded memories of a college chemistry class, the highly accurate scales
were continuously powered up.

I can't say this one was $35, but if it saves me time, frustration,
and loading components, like I think it will, it will still be a good buy.

Squeeze

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Grain Size?? Heavens to mergatrons.......

It seems like it was Hu who crossthreaded James' brain:eek: :eek: when Hu told him about sifting powder to achieve more uniform grain size for reloading. Are you next?? :rolleyes: James can probably help you out on that or else of course, Hu. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I normaly plug mine up the night before reloading, that way I don't have to worry about it. Mine is also an older model, I got lucky, but prob couldn't get my $35 back LOL if I needed it. If I had not ran into this one, I would also be purchasing one from James. Mine has a 1000 gram check weight (aluminum), I take a bullet while loading just for fun, and every couple of powder weights I weigh the bullet just for good measure.. just looking for a exact repeat weight

Clint

·
Registered
342 Posts
Reloaders Nest?

Hey Guys:
Is James still in business? I thought I read on the old board that he was getting out of the reloading supply business. Reloaders Nest web site is no more, at least I couldn't get it to come up a couple of weeks ago.
If he still has any of those scales left I might as well buy one from him as someone else.:)
Larry

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Whoohee baby this thing is ACCURATE,
and repeatable. It makes the previous electronic scale(accurate to +/- .1 gr),
look pretty crude. Squeeze
Yeah...Just wait till you start weighing some powder charges from a powder thrower, e.g., 3BR or Harrell or the like. It will be quite a eye opener, I garroantee!:eek: After being fully disillusioned with the "accuracy" of a powder thrower, it dawns on me that perhaps some of the loads found with them are much more a function of chance than science?

Another thing I discovered: I weighed 10 charges at a given setting on the throwers to get an average for that setting and that powder. Later, perhaps a year or more, I weighed some charges to see if the powder had sublimed enough to make a difference in weight. Once again...:eek: !! Bottom line? I suspect, as has been spoken of in shooting journals for years, that powder VOLUME is perhaps the best way to develop powder charges - immune to weight changes over time (due to changes in moisture content, etc). However, getting a volume measurement with consistent accuracy of better than +/- .2 to .25 grains is difficult (especially with extruded powders). Weight, therefore, although only relevant to the condition of the powder for a finite period, will provide the accuracy to .1 gn or better. One just has to accept the fact that the accurate powder charge weight will wander at times, and if one is in competition, it would behoove the individual to test some loads and do the +/- testing to be sure of the optimum charge and that the condition of the powder has not changed significantly.

Oh, yes... And then there is the size of the powder kernels within a canister of powder. Sifting the size of the kernels to get uniform granule size has proven to have a significant effect on actual burn rate for a given volume or weight! Hmmmm.....

Well, all this considered, I've come to the opinion that for any given moment in the life of a canister of powder there is a optimum weight for a given load, if only for a short period of time. Then the optimum weight moves on, and it is up to the precision shooter to chase it. In other words, the optimum charge weight for a given powder is dynamic. Some loads are more forgiving than others, but one would still be wise to fiddle with charges a little before going to a match, or trying for that one-shot hit on a 1000 yd PD.

Just a thought! BTW, I agree w/ U. The DI MXX-123 was quantum leap in my loading endeavors - a major "ah-HA!" (As it were!;) )

P.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey Guys:
Is James still in business? I thought I read on the old board that he was getting out of the reloading supply business. Reloaders Nest web site is no more, at least I couldn't get it to come up a couple of weeks ago.
If he still has any of those scales left I might as well buy one from him as someone else.:)
Larry

Larry,

I am still going to offer scales, cleaning supplies, bore guides, and if someone wants I will get them scopes and I am selling Lawton's custom actions and barrels.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Let's see...

WD-40, duct tape, and Kroger rubber bands. What else could a person really need??? LOL!!

P.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.