Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Shot Show today, the CEO of Taurus International explained why they have dropped so many Titanium models from their product line. He said that the price of Titanium had increased 500% in 2006, mainly due to huge new demand from Communist China.

And because of that, he said that Taurus is now developing new handguns that will have Magnesium frames, and offer the same lightweight benefits. An upcoming .38 Snubnose model using Magnesium will weigh only 12 oz, he noted.

I'm wondering why is China buying so much Titanium on the world market? What do they need so much Titanium for??

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm wondering why is China buying so much Titanium on the world market? What do they need so much Titanium for??

Lance in Orygun
Maybe they need the titanium to build a whole bunch of ballistic missiles using the technology that Bill Clinton sold them. I wonder who they'll aim them at?

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Magnesium??? I used to have a magnesium fire-starter. One where you scrape off shavings and then spark it to flames. Is this the same stuff?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this a good idea?

Magnesium is good stuff, but for a hand gun that has explosions going on??? Helicopters are made of mag alloys and when we had one shot down in an inaccessible area we would strip it of all instruments and a cobra would fire a couple rockets into it. What a fire that would be. I can't imagine what would happen in a revolver when those hot gases escaped around the front of the cylinder. May be the first disposable gun, fire once and it burns up just like the "Mission Impossible" tapes!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would expect that it will be a magnesium/aluminum (or maybe unobtanium?) alloy of some sort, similar to what 'mag' wheels are made from. If China is stockpiling titanium, that's definitely bad news. We'll end up fighting them eventually, wait and see.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I checked some prices

on the London Metal Exchange (world-wide market). The prices following were the prices as of 1/3/06 followed by 11/30/06, the last closing date they had available, and are in $/ton.
Copper, $4537=>$6936
Nickel, $13,505=>$34,705
Lead, $1101=>$1674
Tin, $6595=>$10,700
Zinc, $1912=>$4390
Aluminum, $2271=>$2686

We see the copper and lead prices reflected in the recent bullet price increases. Zinc is used in diecast parts. Nickel is used in stainless steels, alloy steels and high temperature alloys for jet engines. Titanium would be used mostly in the chemical processing industry for tanks, pipes and heat exchangers, desalination plants - and also in jet engine parts. China is undergoing a huge industrialization surge. They won't have to have a war, they will do it financially/economically, like we did to the Soviet Union.

To keep with the thread, I can't imagine using magnesium in a firearm, even for just the frame. It has to be anodized, then painted (usually with epoxy paints) to keep it from corroding. Bare Mg will dissolve in seawater. Hope you don't sweat a lot on that carry gun. Oh yes, and it will still burn in the right conditions.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW Tinman, these are HUGE increases

No wonder there is such drastic inflation going on today. I wonder how much the higher price of oil could be playing a role here? Does that not significantly increase the cost to mine and transport all of these metals? Still, these are very dramatic increases, and here it is for less than a 1 year timeframe!

The Taurus CEO really did not go into detail about the new magnesium frames. He did say that titanium would still surround the stainless steel barrel. So the magnesium would not be next to the barrel.

But I guess it must be some kind of new alloy, in light of the properties that magnesium has. The bottom line, though, was that the huge increase in titanium prices would have made the already expensive titanium model guns prohibitatively expensive.

Lance in Orygun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts