Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not sure, but in vacuuming is any hair coming loose. Sometimes deer hair is pretty loose. You may want to be careful with that.

I just dust with a feather duster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our home is often refered to as "Steve and Karen's Dead Petting Zoo." (They don't eat, they don't poop and they never try to run away.)

We gently vacuum with a soft-bristle attachment with the grain of the hair. Antlers and horns need attention with a soft cloth that is sprayed with that dust-off stuff (I forget it's name). Adn I usually work on the noses and glass eyes with some sort of polishing cloth.

One year, when we were expecting a visit, Karen got all busy with a bright pink feather duster. It took the two of us many hours to get all of the silly pink feather pieces off of the thirty-some shoulder mounts and piles of hides. Pain in the butt!!!!!

Hope this helps,

Steve

·
Registered
861 Posts
Larry, there's a kit for that,

But I can't remember where I got mine. I wouldn't be surprised if Cabela's or someone like that had them. They are probably available from some of the taxidermy websites too.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spray pledge or store brand furniture polish on a cloth and wipe the hair down gently (with the "grain"). I do my mounts once or twice a year, the hair has always stayed in fine shape. The biggest problem with deer mounts is that the hair itself is hollow. If allowed to dry out, the hairs break.
Take care.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would not recommend using a vac on a mount, it can ruin a mount unless you are extremely careful. I simply take a damp cloth and gently wipe them down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BEAWARE !!!!! If your mount is 20 years old or older the hide was probable "laced" with arsenic trioxide a POISONOUS WHITE POWDER (for bug control)- so if you must clean it take it outside use rubber gloves, wipe it down with a damp towel THEN burn the towel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts