Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally broke down & bought one in .223 Rem w/ a heavy barrel. What kind of accuracy should I expect from "white box" Win factory loads vs. handloads? Also is a trigger job necesarry to wring out the best accuracy? WHat should I be looking for in terms of trigger pull? 4 oz.s? (I am going to have a pro do it ) The trigger feels just "OK" to me but I am no authority. I do like my CZ's set triggers though!

thanks C in O

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
T/Cs can be just as accurate as any other rifle and just like other rifles lots depends on the shooter, the ammo and some fine tuning of all of the variables. You menting a trigger job, Mike Bellm sells trigger springs to lighten the pull with instructions that most can follow and do themselves, on most guns a lighter trigger job is a must to allow the shooter to shrink his groups to bragging size. I do not know if he will ship to Canada, but his site has lots of info along with misc parts for T/Cs, you might want to check him out!

http://www.bellmtcs.com

BTW..... where about in Ontario? My wife is from outside of London and when we were up there for Christmas there was warm weather and lots of mud!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Encore

I agree with Gary. Contact Mike Bellm. He has springs for about any weight trigger pull you might want. In addition, he makes a hinge pin for the barrel that will add to the accuracy. My Encores are just as accurate, and in some cases, better than some of my bolt guns. I have changed the springs myself in both of the Encore frames I own with only Mike's instructions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, maybe I was just lucky but:

There were five of us guys and one day we decided to play the Black Death target game at 100 yards. Each person payed $1:00 for a target and got five shots at the target, with the high score taking the pot.

My Encore 223 rem 26 inch heavy barrel shoothing 45gr hp winchester wht box ammo out shot the Savages, Remingtons, Brownings and Winchesters. :) Everyone was using handloaded ammo except me.

My Encore was the money maker for the day. :D

I have had the trigger reworked to break at 16 oz, the forearm piller beded, and the barrel recrowned by a gunsmith.

All people were shooting from a bench and using by-pods.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Please explain

Well, maybe I was just lucky but:

There were five of us guys and one day we decided to play the Black Death target game at 100 yards. Each person payed $1:00 for a target and got five shots at the target, with the high score taking the pot.

My Encore 223 rem 26 inch heavy barrel shoothing 45gr hp winchester wht box ammo out shot the Savages, Remingtons, Brownings and Winchesters. :) Everyone was using handloaded ammo except me.

My Encore was the money maker for the day. :D

I have had the trigger reworked to break at 16 oz, the forearm piller beded, and the barrel recrowned by a gunsmith.

All people were shooting from a bench and using by-pods.
the 'Black Death Target game'

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is how I did it.

Take the forearm and drill out the holes for the screws, cut 2 pcs of alum tubeing to proper length, insert the hollow tubes in the holes and cement in place, establish the clearance between the barrel and forearm with a spacer, screw the forearm to the barrel and let dry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do a search on the net for Black death target and the instuctions are on the target.

The target is ment to be used with 22 lr, but we used it for center fire rifles at 100 yrs.

To make it interesting we did the following:

1) each person buys a target for a $1:00 (money goes into the pot)
2) each person draws a card from a deck of cards.
(this establishes the shooting oder)
3) Each person shoots 5 shots at the target.
4) high score wins the pot.
5) then everyone starts over by buying a new target for a buck

*** Note:
if one tie all tie and the money stays in the pot, and everyone adds a buck to the pot and put up new targets and shoot off again. this makes it real interesting shooting as you can just shoot to tie someone and build up the pot for the next shoot off. we had one pot get up to $25:00's

·
Registered
22 Posts
TC Encore accuracy: I have an Encore pistol in 7mm BR Rem with a 10 inch barrel. (140 grain Nosler balistic tips, match primers, I'll have to check the powder I was using if you're intersted.) FROM a rest, with handloads, I a cloverleaf 3-shot group at 100 yards. (No wind) It is the most accurate "pistol" I've ever seen or used. The trigger weighs a ton, you do need a trigger job. I'd suggest 4 lbs for a field gun, but if you're doing this as a varmint rifle, you might want to come down to 2 1/2. (I too LOVE the CZ set trigger!)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
bellm's

I used bellm' trigger spring,oversized hinge pin, heavier latch spring and heavier hammer spring. I then purchased their headspace gauge and sized close to .001. It reduced group size from 1-1/4 to <3/4" in 7mm-08, My trigger pull is 2.5 lbs as I use primarily for whitetails.
hotcap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts