Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one or shoot them, looking at the new pro hunter in a 243 or 220 swift. Trying to get some feed back about them good,bad or other. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I currently have two. One is configured in handgun, the other, rifle. I've had quite a few barrels over the years as well. So, what would you like to know?

I can tell you up front that they will shoot under MOA, many under 1/2 MOA.
They do require a little different technique for bench shooting, but that just a learning process. They are excellent for most anything other than colony varmints or competitive benchrest shooting as the break open action creates a problem. I've used mine for deer hunting over the last several years in ML, 260 Rem and 5.6x50 RAI. They are light, quick and accurate...great combination.

Anything else?

Rick

·
Registered
571 Posts
I like the Contender better, but that's just me.

I bought my first Encore (muzzleloader) last year to hunt elk in CO. My last 5 shot group before removing the scope was 1 1/2" at 100 yards. 4 of 5 went into 1". 3 of the 5 were from a clean barrel, and the other 2 were dirty!

I think the stronger/heavier Encore may be inherently more accurate than its little brother, but I still prefer the Contender. Last year, Mike Bellm ran a winter special on trigger jobs in February or March. If he does it again, it'll be a good time to save a couple of bucks on a valuable enhancement to the Encore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got one

My first barrel was the 25-06 26" Heavy. I've only really loaded 75 VMax ammo in it and it's fantastic for Prairie Dog launches. I then got a 220 Swift Fox Ridge/TC Custom Shop 26" medium heavy. It sold me on the caliber (I just got a Rem 700 in Swift). Next was a 22-250 26" factory and I've still got to develop a load for it. Just prepped about 100 rounds of brass for that project.

I like it. Stock is a Boyds Laminate. Good accuracy at range. Works well for a longer range walking around gun that I shoot off the sticks. Balance the gun over the hinge line for best accuracy.

BTW, I'll be selling off the Swift barrel to buy a varmint stock for the Remington soon.

·
Registered
571 Posts
405 grain aero tip Powerbelt in front of 95 grains (by volume) 3F Triple Se7en lit up by a Remington 209-4 primer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts