Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, the high temperature for today will get up to about 44°. It will be a partly sunny day and we have a chance of showers for late this afternoon and tonight.

It turned out to be a fairly long day for me yesterday, on the road in the morning and then having a person here in the afternoon. I also had things I had to do here besides computers. Today the wife and I will be at home just eating well and taking life easy.

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving Everyone.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 18 and clear, a sunny 26 for the day. Busy day yesterday, Busy day today. I am helping with the community food program our church is hosting this year. We have requests for 300+ meals, both pickup and delivered.
This evening is dinner with friends.
In between is rest and meditation, thinking about the past years and all I have to be thankful in my life today.
Praise be to the Lord

I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving,
Ken

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Good Thanksgiving morning my friends, it's 40* here and looks like some rain coming our way but temps into the mid 50's after while. I'm headed back to work this morning after six weeks being off from knee replacement, Glade should be quiet today I don't need much excitement my first day back. Kate and I hope you and your family have a Blessed Thanksgiving with your families.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A Happy Thanksgiving morning, friends and neighbors. 27 here at the homestead to start off, supposed to get to the upper 40's here today. Rain tonight but the day is supposed to be good. We're doing the turkey here and then delivering it up to Mom's for a partial family gathering. She really wants it at her house for tradition but just isn't up to the work anymore. At just a few months shy of 89, that's OK. We'll prep the stove top stuff and she can turn it on when dinner gets close and know that she can still do some things for "dinner at Grandma's". She knows that the family is older and has begun their own traditions with the other extended families.

It is what it is, I guess; life goes on.

Hope you and your families have a joyous and delicious (delicious is a given, I suppose!) holiday gathering as we all give thanks and count our blessings.

Ken

·
Registered
13,633 Posts
Mornin boys...
31 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
No deer was harmed yesterday. Old Dad can't seem to get
a deer within a mile of so. They did move some yesterday, Tucker
text he was about.to leave and then had deer coming by every
minute or so. Several small bucks and does...Old dad just.watched a little
did about a mile away was.all I seen...lol Boys are.ready to head out, guess
I'll get ready and waste some more gas...you all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie...long range deer watcher...lol

PS...Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving

·
Administrator
12,875 Posts
Morning folks. Happy Thanksgiving. It's 28 in the tree, 33 at home, headed to 50s later. Probably my last sit with a bow for awhile. Gonna blow tomorrow they say an rifle comes in Sat. I may try to load some different bullets for Lillie to try and hit the range today or tomorrow. Dinner at cousin's house tonight.

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
624 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you from up here in the frozen prairie of the Red River Valley of the North.
it’s a cold thanksgiving morning with 5 above and 15 mph breezes from the north giving us a -13 wind chilll. I have a grove with a bunch of aspen trees in it and they are popping this morning, sounds like someone target practicing with a 22.

Today is a day when we should take stock of all the Blessing, large and small, that the good Lord gave us. As your sitting at the table with the family with your mouth full of a good feast, thank a farmer and all the laborers, including the cooks, who helped out on the table for you.
After you have ate your fill and sitting around the house with the friends and relatives talking politics, thank a soldier who gave you free speech, not the politician.
As you contiplate the past year, think of all the people that have helped you, cared about you and for you. As independent that we think we are, or I think I am, there were a lot of people, loved ones, good friends , aquantices and strangers that have helped us all along rhe way.
Yes my friends, I have and you have a lot to be thankful for today.

may you all recieveGids Blessings tioday.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio in the forties may get to fifty with rain. I'm thankful for another day. Give Praise ,Prayers to all and country. Hunters be safe I thank you for sharing the hunt with me. Mike

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Great morning folks,

Currently the threat of rain hangs in the air while we see an unseasonably warm 43° and it won't change much from that all day here near HalfwayUSA.

Yesterday was really nice outside and I took advantage of the mild conditions. My buddy came by & we changed the barrel on his AR - testing to follow. Since I had the tools out I slapped together a light weight pencil barrel upper to mate to the folding AR lower I have. That is a much better combination over the heavy stainless upper it was wearing.

I did a bit of research & trouble shooting on the camper furnace. I have good idea what is wrong but I am going to eliminate all other no cost possibilities before I spend $$.

The 24lb turkey goes in the oven in a few minutes & should be ready for 1pm sharing with Deb's family.

·
Premium Member
5,261 Posts
Good morning all.... 45° and raining here so I'm headed to the shop. Since the kids are gone and the wife is with her mom after chemo yesterday I'm going to work a few hours and finish a part so I can blow off the rest of the weekend. Plan on hunting a bunch for deer and dogs hopefully. Had dinner with my mom last night at the Elks....before we left I noticed water coming out of the ground in my neighbors driveway. They have been putting new storm drains in and have tore the shit out of the road and yards. I guess they parked or drove equipment over a water line and ruptured it.....it will spew until Monday I'm sure.

Hope everyone has a good day and prayers for all those that need them!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Bird Plant Sky Accipitridae Beak

Good Turkey day morning from the ridgeline in the sticks of Kentucky. Photo taken a month ago of 2 Jake's having a disagreement. I didn't fire so no Turkey for me.
Its 46° here and rain is on tap in a couple hours. 2 Feathers can have that weather; I want no part of it.

I am in invted to lunch with my oldest boy somewhere and I kinda agreed to go. Maybe.
We are all still alive....so we have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving day. I hear the WOKE people want to eliminate it and make it "Oppressed Persons day." Sicknening. The Washington Post is saying the Murders in Wisconsin were caused by an SUV....killer inside just happened to be along for the Ride. Amazing.

Cats and Cows to check before the rain gets here, firewood to get in.
Yall have nice day and be Safe in the Highways.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
morning all. 12 here with low 40s later.
Wishing you all a very good Thanksgiving!!! So thankful for all my friends here on the Varmint page.
My boys and most of their family are all here, doesn't happen very often any more.
Just being lazy today... was yesterday too.
Give God thanks for all we have, prayers for those in need and with health issues. And our country.
Have a blessed day. Be safe too.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
JR, you old fart…go to your son’s house and have Thanksgiving with them.
Dean…glad you gave the family home…enjoy the day.
You boys can have your cold weather, I just sent wifey (🤣) outside to the thermometer and she said 22*. Wait, that is cold. Maybe high of 45 today and windy, next week is supposed to be high 60’s.
Son said we do have hunters coming in tomorrow. He had a good laugh this morning about the hold-over and windage text last night. He said it wasn’t that much, but he figured I would like it. It’s hard to tell a 6 year old hold 6 inches high and 7 inches left…LOL. He told her hold up on back line and left to front of chest. I got to thinking last night (I know that’s dangerous) and suddenly realized, that was 241 yards….not 400 yards…LOL.
We’ll be having dinner with local family….at DIL’s parent’s house, and then home for the customary nap. Daughter supposed to come tomorrow for the weekend. 11 year old grandson went to deer blind and hunted for first time yesterday and was going back today. His dad showed him a pic of buck on the trail cam and now “it’s his buck”….LOL. So, good luck to the youngest grandson. His dad is a **** hunter, so he was raised with a light on his helmet running after dogs. He enjoys it. I tried it with a friend 2-3 times back in high school days, just wasn’t my cup of tea.
Hope all you guys have a blessed Thanksgiving day. Go hunting, take a nap, or just enjoy life.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It's a cool rainy morning in Indy but we sprang from the bed and met some folks for breakfast. The #1 pancake joint is closed so we went to the back up. Heading to a niece's house to put on the serious feedbag in a couple of hours. In the meantime, Julie's going to church and then dropping off a meal at her old friend Shirley's home. She says we need to leave here around 10:30 which means she'll get back home around 10:45. Different time zones, ya' know! Then, smack in the middle of nap time, we'll stop by her brother's house for pie and pie. Her dad and his GF will be there.

JR, I thought that was a photo from the BBB.

Donnie, hope you've got some good binoculars.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I can’t say it any better than Two Feather said in his post. It was almost poetic.
While you guys were traipsing around the hills and vale’s looking for whatever it was you lost, I was slaving in the kitchen yesterday. Today will be much easier as I don’t do dishes. As Mr. T used to say “Pity the fool”.
I want to thank all you guys for keeping me posted on how to do things, But I haven’t followed your advice very closely, I haven’t listened for most of my life.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 57º and cloudy here and that will be the high for the day. We have slight chances for rain later in the morning.

We had a good time at the Brewery yesterday. Another friend thats still working was off this week and joined us. On the way to Little Rock we stopped off at the range to sight in a rifle for one of my buddies young nephews. It was a 700 ADL with a noname scope on it. We finally got it zeroed but it was a challenge. You move the scope a little and nothing moves. You do that a couple of times and then it moves more than you want. :mad:Tapping on the scope tube with a pocket knife seemed to help! I told my buddy he needed to buy the kid a Leupold!

Today we'll have the Family here. Both of the Boys, their Wives, all of the Grandkids, my Mom and my Aunt. The Wife spread the cooking out this year. She started Tuesday, spent most of yesterday in the kitchen and did a few small things this morning.

Many of you have suggested remembering that today is a day for giving thanks for all that we have and not just a day to feast. As bad as our Country is getting its still better than most other places.

Prayers for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need. Special prayers for Jenny and Her Family.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
lightman…. I thought that was standard procedure, tapping on top of scope with pocket knife…LOL. I even caught my son “tapping” on top of a Leupold last week 😱. (I was raised with the old weavers).
So far I haven’t caught him tapping a nightforce….

Reactions: Kentucky Fisherman

·
Administrator
12,875 Posts
Back home from the deer woods. Saw some deer early, passed a small 6pt right under me. He ventured out across the field after rubbing a tree and marking.a scrape.

Shoe Water Automotive tire Leaf Road surface

I had the call of nature hit :poop: so I got down and headed home. Drove around the other side getting out and there was the big buck I saw Sunday, locked down on a doe with the small 6 and a spike. No wonder I didn't see anything.

Well, he'll be real nice if he makes it, but it's highly doubtful. Lots of hunting pressure there in gun season.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone from the 🌞 E side of the Chesapeake Bay. 36° high of 60 . Mrs cooked turkey last night just the 2 of us . She purchased more ground cover so she'll be planting and I will be reloading this afternoon . Off tomorrow to working the dog with some pen raised pheasants . If traveling please be safe and enjoy your Thanksgiving.
JW

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
50ish with clouds and rain in the hollow. Forecast is about the same all day. I heard a rifle shot across the road a few minutes before the rain started. Since it was only one it was probably a good one. I hope the horns were good enough to make the hunter happy while he's getting soaked. There was a time not too far back when I would have cared whether he was on my land or not. Now, not so much. Good luck to him. The only really productive thing I did yesterday was smoke a turkey, which seems to have turned out OK, but I'll probably heat and smoke it a little more on Friday morning. Today we will visit with my step daughter and her family in the early evening and will host a small part or the family here tomorrow.
I have much to be thankful for and acknowledge it. Not the least is decent health. I've had several illnesses that would have killed me a long time ago had I lived in the 30's. But I'm still here and still enjoying life. Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of you my friends.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts