Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martin ????, from Indy wanted to come down to the DOME and meet the cast of characters. He had bladder cancer,
overweight, and maybe diabetic. He posted that he was coming down to the DOME to shoot. People started posting
on this website asking if they could join Rebal Gray and visit him. Sort of snow balled. We set a June date 2014.
Tom Morely arrive Thursday, and then others began ariving on Friday and Saturday. Saturday night everyone moved up
to Voldoc's Moonshine Mountain Range and shot eggs at 300 yards under lights. That was super. Voldoc had the holler lit up.
On Saturday, Dr. Donaldson brought her portable Bar-B-Q wagon down to the DOME and cooked free of charge. Great food.
States I remember represented were---
South Carolina, Baton Rouge (jerry and wife), Vir., Ky, Indy, Kenosha, Wi,
I guess Tracy Milsaps arrival Saturday afternoon was a KODAK memory.

Sniptac 375, He also had a 375 Cheytac and 338 Lapua Imp in the back of his car.
He pulled up at the Rebal Gray Classice in a small Honda or Toyota. No one knew at first. Voldoc knew him.
Mysteriously Tracy and son rolled out of car. I greeted them and we walked back to the back of the car. Tracy
raised the hatchback. The back seats were folded forward. The three rifles lay there stretching from rear bumper
to the front seat. I am talking 32 to 36 inch barrels. Everyone was extremely quiet watching the stranger. He set the
Snipetac up in silence except for Junebug who was side by side with Tracy taking in everything. When it come to rifles
Junebug has photographic memory and IQ approaching Einstein's intelligence.
They got the big boomer set up. Everyone is waiting for it to go off. Big G is spotting 3 benches over munching on someone's
homemade cookies. It had showered a little a couple of hours back but everyone had forgotten about the rain.
A calibers such as these had never been at the DOME.
The silence could be cut with a knife as Tracy adjusted the Seb Neo and his trigger finger entered the trigger guard.
Then BOOOOOMMMMMMM. The thunder roared forward, backward, and sideways down the valley.
George's cookies went to the concrete. But the thing everyone saw was the blast shook the metal roof violently and at least
ten gallons of rain water came gushing of the roof.
I had never witnessed anything like it.

I don't think anything has ever been to the DOME that shoots as accurately at 1800 to 2000 as his 338 Lap IMPROVED.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Rebalgray's name was Martin Suiter. He was from Crawfordsville, IN. I offered to drive him to the shoot but his daughter told me he needed somebody familiar with his condition and his needs. His wife and daughter were with him at the shoot. My grandson, Mike, and I were there at The Dome and at Moonshine Mountain. I was one of the witnesses to the great cookie disaster. There was a crowd there and we were fed well at both ranges. It was certainly a memorable event and a testimony to the kindness and character of the hosts, Birdog, VolDoc, and Dr D.

I visited Martin at the IU hospital about a week after the shoot. He didn't remember me but I'm sure he was overwhelmed by all the folks and the hospitality extended to him and his family there. His daughter (Sue , I think) told me how much he enjoyed the shoot and that it had meant a lot to him. He passed on June 24, 2014.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
That was a good shoot!...the cookie blast is hard to forget along with the concussion of that rifle going off. I do believe it knocked over a few targets at 800yds. I remember we stayed at the Dome a while that night and Birdog and I rolled into Doc's late. We did get there early enough for some of the tangerine going off and a sheriff showing up. I think it was about halfway back from the Dome Birdog pulled over and had me drive the Dodge the rest of the way back to Dixon Springs. Definitely a good weekend!

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebal Gray had the same bladder cancer I had. His doctors or rebal gray waited to long to pull the trigger on removal and his had unfortunately spread.
I called and talked to him in rehab after he did have the removal.
He said the guys in the hospital did not believe the 800 yard EGG and he asked me if I would do one thing for him.
Martin asked that we send him an 800 yard quarter to him to show the guys. Well Junebug did it but he never mailed the quarter.
I did it later twice but I did not mail. I believe Martin had passed when I did my two because it was later when I met Shayne Halliburton that he and I did the
800 yard quarter thingy

Martin was a good man. Only knew him a short time. I do know he loved the DOME and the guys.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
That was a great thing you did to have everybody down for the Rebel Gray shoot birdog. I'm sure Karma will be kind to you, and I'm also sure Martin is up there watching you guys do crazy stuff...like quail eggs at 800. Wasn't that at the Rebel Gray as well? LOL

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yep pretty sure Doc got the quail egg at 800 at that shoot.
Yep. I got everyone's attention and presented Voldoc his egg. Had a neighbor who
raised quail and he gave me a few quail eggs.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
I've googd Tracy Milsaps........who is/was he?

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Yep, a weekend we will never forget.
Martin lived a exiting life, he sent me a copy of a thing he was working up about
his life story and.it was very interesting. He called me a few times after the shoot.
I was spotting for Doc's quail egg...lol
Old Birdog set him up...lol He wanted to bust a egg at 800 yards and Birdog told him we would set him up 1, a egg, but he didn't think about a quail egg...lol
But he did bust it. Thanks Bro for the trip down memory lane. "Best of times"

Donnie

PS...the big boomer was something to see, took all the water off the roof at once.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
OK, I was getting Ronnie Milsap crossing paths with my thought process. And not being a country music listener, well.....took a while to reconcile.
So, just another gun nut like the rest of us. Other than the fact that George lost his cookies.....bwahahaha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts