Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working in a gunshop for 6 months gave me an opportunity to see a plethora of handguns and demonstrate their operation for 100s of customers a month.

In all that constant fray and bombardment of manufacture's latest "generations" (I think Glock is up to gen 5 (?) now), one kinda looses sight of the great oldies. And, one of the newer trends is the double (only) action triggers - way out number the single action or even the double/single (like my Sig P220).

Practice, practice, practice...is what we preached every day at the shop. But, when Ami and I did our CCW qualifying stint, there were 10 of us taking turns at the firing line (at the instructor's private range), and only Ami and I and one other had single action pistols.

Wow! until then I hadn't given it a thought. But, once we started shooting, it was instantly obvious which of us had single (or double/single) action pistols, especially during rapid fire!!

Of course self defense at 20-30 feet is one thing, and group competition is totally a different thing, but at 15 yards 2/3s of the double action only crowd failed to keep all 10 rounds in the kill zone. But, on the other hand, the single action shooters (3 of us) easily kept our entire set of shots inside the 7 ring (man silhouettes).

A friend of mine bought his first pistol; a 9mm S&W M&P. After shooting it for several sessions and maybe 500 rounds, at 20 feet he was just able to keep 15 rounds in the outer ring of a man silhouette target.

Just for fun, I loaded my single-action 45 ACP Colt Combat Elite, and proceeded to cut one ragged hole, 1-1/2" across, centered on the X ring, (off-hand). But, to make my point, when he took a turn with my Colt, his group size instantly shrank to about 4". (Shooting his DA Smith, my groups went to 3" @ 20 feet in rapid fire.)

Interesting....:rolleyes: For the average Joe/Jane, is it any wonder why they might need 15+ round magazines - especially when shooting under duress??

I'm NO combat expert - don't pretend to be. But, the first quote (of a friend of mine in Co) in my signature (below) seems to say a lot. (And, I don't think the 1911 or the 45 ACP is in any danger of becoming "obsolete", as many "experts" try to have us believe...:rolleyes:)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree with much of what you said, but I also think that the pistol grip and shape has a lot to do with it. I only have one striker-fired pistol, and the rest have hammers and are SA or SA/DA. Revolvers work well for me also. I have tried several of the newer striker-fired pistols, but still prefer the old school choices. That is why we have options.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm plastic fantastic... Just because. My number 1 criterion is that it feel like a 1911. I have not pinned it down to one yet. I would like to actually shoot the 4 or 5 on the short list.

In the meantime, my 1911s do me nicely. :D

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Paul, 1911s are indeed wonderful handguns and I have a Colt Defender that I have no plans of selling. That said, I saw a guy try to do a rancher a favor years ago by using his .45 ACP to kill a sick cow. As I recall, instead of putting the cow down, it mostly pissed her off. Eventually she died laughing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, whoever said the 1911 was going away apparently has been blind. I have a few while a bud of mine is reaching close to 100 of them. Yeah, like me, he's not screwed together real tight. He has more Randalls than I've ever seen and his are all in one safe. I guess that's one advantage of owning a gunshop though. You get first look at whatever walks thru the door.

I wish I could find someone that knows a lot about the workings of a 1911. I thought I had a real good clue but a new 1911 is driving me nutz. I have a Remington R1 Hunter long slide in 10 mm that throws brass a country mile. No exaggeration, it throws brass about 15-20 yds. I've put a flat bottom firing pin stop in it, changed the hammer spring from an 18.5 lb to a 25 lbs, changed the recoil spring to the strongest Wolff has and it changed NOTHING. The slide is almost more than I can rack now. A woman couldn't load this thing if she wanted. The gun shoots fabulous with 1" groups common with 180 gr handloads (throws factory ammo just as far). So if anybody has any ideas, I'm listening.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Trapper6L, have you ever looked through Jerry Kuhnhausen's books? You might see if it will helps. He has two on the 1911.

https://www.amazon.com/45-Automatic-Expanded-Kuhnhausen-Manual/dp/B010VXI7BY/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529286679&sr=1-6&keywords=jerry+kuhnhausen+shop+manuals

I am no 1911 expert by any means, but it sounds like slide speed is the issue if you already put a higher rate spring in it. How is the slide fit? Maybe a bit tighter fit would slow it down some. Maybe a heavier bullet would help also. Did you see that the June 2018 issue of Handloader has a bunch of 10mm loads in it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yep, TinMan..........

I've had Jerry's books....Colt 45ACP, Colt Python, S&W Revolvers........for over 35 years(WOW.......doesn't seem that long). THE reference books for many years.

Trapper6L......

I'm wondering if a slide shock buffer, of different densities, may be of help.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Under duress, most people's ability to hit where they want to degrades by at least 50%. That's been a common observation for many years. That tells us that the folks who barely qualify with their chosen firearm will be lucky to hit their target at all when the stress is on. A more accurate (or easier to shoot) gun helps a lot with this. That, and (professional) training.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Totally agree! That said, I recently got back into shooting USPSA matches (after an absence of over 20 years). Now my 1911s still shoot fine, are as reliable or more than ANY Tupperware gun, and there's even a classification for single stacked gun... But to shoot matches, my eyes aren't up to the task. The open sights aren't easy for me to line up for that "partial target shot" anymore. I got 2 guns for shooting the matches, a 9mm AR-15, and a SIG P320 RX (with a dot sight and tall tritium sights factory mounted). I'm leaning more than ever to mount tall sights and a dot on my carry guns! I can "call my shots" even better than before, and I've never used both eyes as clearly as I do with that sight! If the front of the dot sight was covered with tape, I don't think it would slow me down much at all.
Trouble is, I haven't seen any dot mounts I like for series 70 Colt 1911s.

Steven

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yeah, whoever said the 1911 was going away apparently has been blind. I have a few while a bud of mine is reaching close to 100 of them. Yeah, like me, he's not screwed together real tight. He has more Randalls than I've ever seen and his are all in one safe. I guess that's one advantage of owning a gunshop though. You get first look at whatever walks thru the door.

I wish I could find someone that knows a lot about the workings of a 1911. I thought I had a real good clue but a new 1911 is driving me nutz. I have a Remington R1 Hunter long slide in 10 mm that throws brass a country mile. No exaggeration, it throws brass about 15-20 yds. I've put a flat bottom firing pin stop in it, changed the hammer spring from an 18.5 lb to a 25 lbs, changed the recoil spring to the strongest Wolff has and it changed NOTHING. The slide is almost more than I can rack now. A woman couldn't load this thing if she wanted. The gun shoots fabulous with 1" groups common with 180 gr handloads (throws factory ammo just as far). So if anybody has any ideas, I'm listening.
Take a look at the firing pin retainer. If it has a nice radius on the bottom, put one in that has almost square shoulder. By doing that you lessen the leverage the slide has on cocking the hammer. That also happens right at the beginning of the slide travel. Also the geometry of the hammer can effect it in the same exact way. You'd want the base of the hammer (as close to where it pivots) to make contact with the firing pin retainer first. You should be able to cock the hammer and notice it is considerably easier to rack the slide than if you didn't.
Let me know how that works...

Steven

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul, 1911s are indeed wonderful handguns and I have a Colt Defender that I have no plans of selling. That said, I saw a guy try to do a rancher a favor years ago by using his .45 ACP to kill a sick cow. As I recall, instead of putting the cow down, it mostly pissed her off. Eventually she died laughing.
Thanks for reminding me...:(:( I really felt very bad for that heifer, as if her terminal cancer wasn't bad enough.

Yeah... 'Twaznt the gun's fault. The the coup de grace was issued from a single shot from a 22LR of all things. All that was required was raising the POI - a couple inches higher. Nobody was laughing - especially not the heifer....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, I have Jerrys books and have read them. The gun already has a flat bottom firing pin stop in it so there's not much left to do from what I gather in chatting with a few that are more knowledgeable than me.
Sorry for the bleed on the thread Paul. I really didn't expect any comments at all.

South Texas has a lot of "ranchers", mostly live in Houston, that apparently have far too much money. The area is all but over run with all kinds of exotics. Jeez, you can even see Giraffe, elephant, water buffalo, buffalo, you name it, it's there and these "ranchers" have no reason to fix a fence if they can get the neighbor to do it. Consequently, these exotics are everywhere. The ranch my brother lives on is one of the largest in South Texas and they don't want the exotics eating their grass so they are moving targets as far as they are concerned. And that's great for us as we've killed some mighty fine African animals and never left home. But we were called by one of the henties that they had an exotic down and it was sick. It needed to be put down. We drove up, he pointed to where the critter was in the brush so we waded into the brush even though we couldn't see it or knew what it was. Brother walked up on it, called for me so he had an idea where I was in the brush and said he was going to shoot considering I was behind him. He shot using a 1911 that he had converted to a 38/45ACP using a 38 Super barrel. That yields roughly a 357 mag on a 1911 frame. Well, this animal later identified as possibly a world record Nalgia stood up and it looked like something out of a horror movie. Good grief that thing was HUGE. Bro dropped the 1911 and up came up with the Benelli with saboted 1 oz jacketed slugs. Two shots later it hit the ground. His longest shot was probably 5 feet. The Benelli sounded like it was belt fed. While he and I both have tons of love for a 1911, there's sometimes it just ain't enough gun no matter what the bore diameter is. But on the other side of the coin, I'm seriously looking at a Rock Island Pro Ultra Match HC 10mm. Amazing to think that the 10mm is more HP than a 45ACP but you can push a 200gr bullet about 200'ps faster than a 45. And if you're real adventuresome, you can actually load the 200gr bullets to 1500'ps. I won't be doing it as it's way above any published data but a lot of the guys are doing it with no issues....so far.
http://armscor.com/firearms/pro-series/pro-match-ultra-6-hc-10mm/

·
Registered
517 Posts
Paul, my first handgun was a 1911, a brand new Colt, that I carried for a year in SE Asia. The first pistol I bought after coming home was a 1911. I own three of them now, all Springfields. One is a custom by Greg Copeland, one a target model and the one I carry daily is a TRP. Can't think of another handgun I'd rather have on me.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Mas Ayoob wrote articles years ago about testing different .45 ACP defense loads on steers in a slaughterhouse. He didn't seem to have any problem killing them - with one shot each. He said that the slaughterhouse owner had used 230 grain hardball to dispatch steers, but it tended to over-penetrate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts