Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The remarkable 17HRM. Waiting 2 years after introduction I made my first purchase of a CZ rifle, then a T/C in 16.25", then a 'Smith M647. Only have to adjust to the fact you could reload a CF cartridge for price of a single rimfire, but I be likin it a lot! l.r.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Now all you need is the new Savage with the thumb hole stock!!:D
Yes the HMR is just plain fun to shoot. My Marlin will put 3 under a dime at 100 yards. You can almost buy 223 ammo for about the same price as the 17 HMR so I use it sparingly. I can buy 525 22LR for the same price as 50 HMR. It is fun to match the rifle with the game and distance though. You have to have another rifle to shoot while you let the barrel cool down! I would not go ground squirrling without one now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ones enough for me

The only round I have three(actualy 5) of is the 223.
I really like the HMR for its abilty to take dogs to 150yards and not scare the the other dogs too bad but the price of ammo has me waiting impatiently for the 17Fireball.The 17M2 and HMR sure have proven to be a big improvement over the 22lr-22mag.
These days I'm pickng up the 22/17 rimfire cases too,might need them to make jackets out of at the rate bullets are going up these days:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,904 Posts
got three 6 br's & three 308's

6 br- 14 twist 40-x, 12 twist Mike Bryant, 8 twist, plus a borden 30 br and a mike bryant 6 dasher being built
308's in M-14, 700 police special, and pre-64 featherweight win.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
what I like about the HMR,,,,

riding in a Suburban over the gopher infested :D pastures of Montana, different rifles have different characteristics. The 17 Ack Hnt in my CZ 527 has such a strong springed clip that loading the clip is a hassle. Sooo,,we use homemade and more recently,,Calhoun's super nice CNC'd single shot block. Makes tossing in a fresh round a breeze. One still has to carefully save each fired empty [thousands of them!!] since we ARE reloaders.
However, the CZ 452 Sporter {American} I have in 17 HMR is SO NICE to use. I bought an extra clip. The clips have MILD follower springs and sliding in fresh rounds is SO EASY --- no worn out thumbs or cuts. You keep the rifle with a loaded or partial loaded clip on the window noodle [rest], the other clip is in hand getting fresh ammo. IF the shooting slows down a bit, I might pop out the clip in the rifle if it has had a shot or two out of it,,quickly swapping in the full clip, and topping off the 'partial' clip.
Now,,next to a 17 Ackley Hornet,,the HMR is NOT as gopherizing,,but it's still explosive enough [rat splattage I think MontanaDoug calls it]. And, as all are finding out, the accuracy is superb, like nothing I ever knew in any rimfire, at least out that far! I'd say we've gotten some nice 160 to 200 yard hits with the 17HMR. And it IS nice to not have to save the emptys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.