Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, MPC, I've been following your interest in a .357 Magnum Henry rifle from Rural King. I looked at their online listing and learned you can get this model. Also will shoot .38 Specials. Sweet rifle, can be loaded to near .30-30 specs, and this one gets considerable "cool factor points" from us old guys who watched "The Rifleman" as kids.

You do know about RK Guns online, right? Order online, have it delivered to your local RK store, then pick it up there and do the paperwork. Shipping is a flat $12.99 and there's no FFL transfer fee.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Ya know, MPC kinda resembles Chuck Connors.... kinda.... maybe....

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
My B92 in 357/38 is a fun rifle. The 38Spl feels almost like a 22lr. One day I tried to shoot some 38 full wadcutters I had made up for even lower recoil, but the B92 wouldn't feed them properly. The OAL was too short to feed properly. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a JM Marlin 1894C in 38/357. They are great fun to shoot and also make a good home protection rifle. May next purchase will probably be a Blued Henry .22 with the 20" octagonal barrel.
Have fun MPC.
Tom

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Charlie, I would have to make up a dummy round with the 357 brass and a full wadcutter to check for sure. I know 38s with 125 JHP and 158JHP feed just fine. As I recall, the elevator on the rifle is too short for the action to cycle properly if you use a normal speed of cycling. If you try to go fast for rapid follow up shots the round falls off the elevator and drops into the action. Getting it out is not fun. My rifle is the Miroku-made clone of the Winchester 1892. I don't know anything about the Henry's in 357.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious...could you just load 38 loads in 357 brass to solve that feeding problem?
I agree the extra 1/10 inch would help, Charlie, but since the problem happened with wadcutters, I'm guessing the bullet shape is the main issue. I bet it would do fine with most any round nose or truncated cone bullet.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I dont know about the B92"s, but the Marling 1894;s ejector rides in a grove in the left side of the reciever an wont let any wadcutter or semiwacutter work unless you do some work on it and round the side of it off. MPC and I talked about that this morning, I have never heard of anyone having any problem with them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve shot a few hundred of the semi wad cutters (left) in my Marlin and have never had an issue. I have not tried to speed shoot it though. I have not shot the bullet on the right yet. I intend to powder coat them. Most of my loads have been 38spl but I will probably load only.357 in the future. I noticed the .38s were starting to leave a ring in the chamber. It’s very tough to remove.
Tom

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Guys, the problem was only with full wadcutters in 38 Spl. The face of the wadcutter is completely flat and the same length as the 38 Spl case. They are designed for low velocity target shooting, like the S&W Model 52. I tried them in the rifle to see/hear how quiet I could make a 38 Spl rifle. I had a problem with a rogue racoon, and wanted him done in quietly, but something more than a 22lr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts