Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"the alternative".
Guess I`ll grin and BEAR it.
8 and a wake-up.....

Flyme ties when yer having fun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happy gonna be 50, Mike!! I'm lookin foreward to 56(givin the alternative). Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of our wedding vows. Sure hope the birthday fairy is good to ya!! Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Bill!!!!

36! Happy Anniversary! You and the Mrs. have got a good thing goin on! Kudos to you both.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Getting old

LOL Bear what I wouldn’t give to be 50 again. But like Dad always said getting old isn’t pretty but it sure beats the alternative.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Happy Birthday, Sonny! Yup, far better than the alternative.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Will hit the 56 mark in the PD

fields of NE Wyoming:cool:
Neat pic, Bear!! Happy Birthday to ya.
Bob

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to the club. Gonna be a first-time Grampa next week, turning 60 next month, and I already grin and nod when they ask me if I want the Senior Discount. 36+ years for our marriage, also.

Getting older ain't for sissies, but we darn sure earned it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It certainly does beat the alternative...

Good to see you posting again Bear, I always enjoyed reading your post, even when you got a little ornery! :D
That's a sweet picture you posted, made me a little misty.

About that alternative part... my dear old dad succumed to his second bout of cancer at age 63 in '97 and I miss him a bunch... still. :(

He was the horse-tradingest person I've ever known. Some of my earliest memories are of tagging along on some of his gun trading escapades, I couldn't of been much older than 3 or 4 years old, but it continued for practically my entire youth. More than once on the way home he'd say something like "let's not tell Mom about this yet, I want to tell her later". Of course like any kid I spillt the beans a time or two causing all sorts of grief but I don't remember him ever getting sore at me for it. I get a good chuckle about it now, especially after talking to Mom and getting her side about how sometimes he'd come home on payday a little lighter in the wallet than she expected and how she had to adjust the budget and a few days later suspecting that there was a little less room in the closet (rifles & shotguns) or on the right side of his sock drawer (handguns). So I come by this "affliction" by the most honest of means, I inherited it fair and square!. ;)

This time of year is always a little bittersweet for me, with the holidays and birthdays (his birthday is on valentines day). I wish my kids would have had the opportunity to know him as adults, they were 10, 8 & 6 yo when he passed.

Oh, BTW and to keep this on topic... I turned 52 yesterday! Happy Birthday to all us capricorns! Damn, if I coulda held off just a little longer I'd be an aquarius... my wife thinks it woulda improved my temperment. :D

JayDub, down in soggy Chehalis!

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
The worst thing.....................

The worst thing about turning (enter number here) is what happens 365 days later. I'm gonna' have my 61st next month. I picked up a brick of .22 ammo, a pair of golf shoes, and a ball glove at Dicks yesterday and my wife paid for them as "an early birthday gift". Of course, there is a method to her madness. Her birthday is this month!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ornery?!?!?!? Me???????

LOL, When the wifey took the new pup to the vet to get his testimonials removed, she said she was gonna take me in too:eek: . She knows better tho. I`d be less ornery but I`d be like a cat and just lay about and get fat. .... eh ... fatter.:p

That sucks about yer Dad. We never get enough time with them. Mine is in his 80`s and still going strong. Bought him a 24 foot sailboat this year, well... LAST year, and he made the mistake of promising Ma that he`d not go alone. Hell, it`s only the Columbia River (betwixt Longview and Astoria). So I run down to Clatskanie every few weeks when I can to sail with him.

There`s some kinda bigass hairy varmints along the riverbanks there by the way, but I never get a good look at them. I heard the Nutrina or Nutria or whatever from the south had moved in and were in the area. I thought they were otters but I think they are too light colored to be river otters.

Have you hunted the Easterns in your area yet? I hear the population is increasing steady. I went to Lake Roosevelt to get my first turkey but those are Merriams. My bud has been raising documented Merriam stock for a few years now and they are taking hold here pretty well, but the trailer trash shoot them almost as fast as they breed. He did what the WDFW could not do.
Should get some varmint calling in together when I`m down your way. Oh, and in case you ever wander this far, We built a 400 yd range in the hills on my pards timberland. 12x20 shed with 4 benches and a woodstove, across the road we built a 100 yd pistol range with the same kinda shed and it`s a blast to be able to practice in bad weather and be warm too, hehe. That goes for any of you guys. I invited the Coast Guard up because the towncops booted them out of the police range at the dump.

They said it was cause the Coastie guns were too loud but I heard it was cause the CG outshoots every last one of the townies, hah!!! This is getting long but I gotta tell you while on the subject, a couple years back a pit bull was in town running amuck biting other dogs and making a couple folks uh,... lose control of their bladders, hehe, and the townies showed up ....Cornered him betwixt a fence and a house and opened up.

37 bullets later they hit the dog and knocked him down, THEN they took him to the vet (who promptly dispatched it):cool: There`s bullet holes 6 feet off the ground in the fence and house. Neighbors said the cops were more dangerous than the dog ever was, HAHA!!!!
Yeah, happy birthday too !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The worse thing(s)

are the new medical procedures they make you undergo at 50! I turned 50 last year and I "go under the scope" tomorrow. Today has been worse than miserable, wouldn't wish this on a coyote. Tomorrow I'll know how the alien probe stories got started.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Bear,
Yer gonna really enjoy your 50's. You can claim your memory isn't as good: "Honey, are you sure I didn't tell you about that new varmint rifle? It seems like I mentioned it a couple of months ago while you were watching QVC...Maybe you were distracted by the sale of the day." When the big brown QVC truck stops at my house I alwaysa ask if they're delivering my new rifle or handgun.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was glad to make 50. Just wish I could get to 55 so I can retire. 19 months and counting. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts