Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you might be aware that I love Contenders. T/C introduced the Contender in 1967, and I bought one in 1968 and still own it and shoot it. I came to me with the 45/410 barrel and within a short time I had added a 22LR barrel and then the 221 Rem. Fireball barrel and in a couple of years I also added a 14 inch 35 Rem. barrel and used that barrel to kill my first handgun deer. A real nice 8 point that was the first deer checked that year. For several years that was the only thing that I hunted with, but finally started using such things as a Smith and Wesson model 19 for deer and then a Dan Wesson in 44 Magnum.

Due to an accident I had to quit the construction industry. So went to college got a masters degree and the a job teaching Drafting and Design in a Community collage and retired from there at age 65 after 20 years with the collage. During the time I was in collage and being a Teacher, I just did not have time to hunt or fish and did not accumulate any Contenders. After retiring I picked up a couple of Encores, but they just aren't as much fun as the Contenders, so got away from them and back to the Contenders. I now have 8 frames and 30 something barrels. The barrels are a combination of Pistol barrels and Rifle barrels, and a few are Wildcats.

I have gotten so crippled up in the last few years that I can't get out and hunt like I used to. I hunt from a blind now and have to drive my truck right up too it. Doesn't seem to bother the deer at all. The deer just seem not to pay any attention to the truck and just come into the field like it wasn't there. By taking the truck to the blind I can easily take a rifle and a pistol both in with me, I usually take 7-Waters barrels a pistol for closer in shots and the rifle for longer shots. I can change that up as I wish I also have 30-30 Win. and 7mm TCU combination barrels.

I know that Charlie Sterner has at least one Contender and also Rick (Gray fox) has at least one, so if any of the rest of you fellows like and possibly have one or two let me know and we can share stories and desires. Now that Smith and Wesson has quit manufacturing them the price has really gone up and the numbers have really dropped off. I only have the original one that I bought and the rest are later issue models what are known as the easy-open type and then I have one of the G2 (mini Encore) but it will share the barrels with the older models.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am one who also has over the years probably owned 4 different frames. I now one a pre-easy open frame with
22 lr Match
22 K-Hornet
221 Fireball
7 TCU 14"
30/30 AI 14" w/brake

Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
At one time I had an example of every offering TC made. That was pretty short lived. I have sorted through many since. I am down to a dozen and a half barrels. Of all I had and sold only one regret, of all things a 10”7TCU. I went through over a dozen of them before I found one that shot as I wished.
I have three Contender frames and one G2. All have barrels and loads specific to the particular frame, yes it makes a difference.

I sold all but a couple of rifles (sentimental). I went over 20 years with out firing a rifle, all handgun. The last 15 years of that I got hung up on cast bullets and never fired a jacketed bullet at ANY target.

Ended up later with a couple of BF pistols, then the XP’s came along.
Forward a few years and I got the wheel gun itch. Try as I might, you simply cannot make a SW shoot even remotely as good as an FA. I got PO’d at SW, sold all of them except three. Took those funds and invested in my own FA. I had access to a couple just for the asking, but never had my own.
WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG???!!!
My 357 and 41 mag both will out shoot any TC factory barrel I ever owned. I went for many years and now have 357,41 and 44 mag all fed nothing but cast.
I had made many rifle shooters have a cup of stfu when I was on my game with the single shots, the revolver really made them bite their tongue.

I backed way off of my handgun shooting (buddy got married).
On my own no adult supervision ran across a few CZ 527’s a fellow had all in 17 or 20 something, bought four of them. The small caliber bug and it’s all down hill since, lol.
Got my shooting bud that got married back out in the field finally. He brought his FA in 44 mag prairie dog hunting. A 260 cast makes short work of them. Two or three pups on a mound with the howitzer will launch them all with one well placed shot, lol.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
You are right Murl. I have 2 Contender frames, one ez open blued and an armor alloy frame that's been opened up to accept other barrels. It wears a 17HM2 14 inch SS barrel that is incredibly accurate.

The other pistol barrels I have are a 10 inch 7TCU and a 14 inch 7 International Rimmed (similar to 7-30 waters). I also have an MGM 17 AH rifle barrel that shoots really well. (Don't shoot it enough)

I also have a SS Encore with 50 cal mz barrel that shoots great and a 7-08 barrel. Don't shoot it much either.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
It's about time I chime in also. I bought a T/C Contender back about '93 or '94. One original pistol frame and eight barrels together in a package from a gunsmith that was closing shop. I was getting ready to start shooting Handgun Silhouettes. I would have to go down in the dungeon to look the specifics, but from memory, several light octagon barrels, mostly 10-inch: 22lr, 45ACP, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum, 45 Colt/.410, and a 14-inch 223 Rem. Might have had a 9mm also. Later, I found heavy round heavy barrels in 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball and 44 Magnum. Also got a couple of grips and a set of Pachmayr grip and forearm. Later, I ran into a NIB easy open frame that had to come home also.

I haven't shot them in more than 10 years. As I recall, the 357 was very accurate, even at 100yds. The killer for me was the octagon 44Magnum barrel. The recoil was massive and actually wrenched my wrist so bad and painful that I could not shoot any pistol for over a month, even a 22lr. That soured me for Contenders.

·
Registered
All things Contender
3 Posts
First timer on this site. I have 2 pistols and 2 carbines. At the range I state that I'm only into "snakes a sparklers" (Joe Dirt quote). Last week i enjoyed watching a 6.5cm enthusiast working 200yards with a spotter. They were echoing hits 2" up, down and over. I drew out my factory 10" 22hornet rig and demonstrated a live 4" group at 200yds with 35gr Vmax. No wind, otherwise I could not have pulled that stunt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been shooting Contenders for 42 years starting in 1980 the first year that I shot handgun silhouette. Started with two blued frames and 10" and 14" barrels in 7TCU and .22 long rifle. A couple years later I sent the 14" 7TCU barrel to IHMSA to be rechambered to 7 International rimmed thus starting my addiction to wildcats made from 30-30 cases. I bought a 14" .222 barrel in 1986 for my first PD shoot and still have it. I machined rim clearance to use .357 Max brass necked down to start with and later found some Australian made .222 rimmed brass. Had a 7X Burris pistol scope for years before going to a 6.5-20 rifle scope. Early 90's had a Bullberry 18" .219 Wasp barrel that I shot with pistol grip and 3-9 Burris. Also aquired two stainless frames mid 90's. Next was a 15" Bullberry 6.5 Bullberry Imp. match barrel for UAS and Uas half size IHMSA. Also two Bullberry 15" .22 match barrels. TC custom shop 10" .30 Herrett barrel for Big Bore Production class and 10" .22 Hornet and .270 REN for Field Pistol classes. Also got 10" 7mm Super Mag barrel which is basically a rimmed 7TCU that uses necked down .357 Max brass.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

.222 Rimmed with Bullberry fore end and rifle scope
Dave

·
Registered
All things Contender
3 Posts
Some of you might be aware that I love Contenders. T/C introduced the Contender in 1967, and I bought one in 1968 and still own it and shoot it. I came to me with the 45/410 barrel and within a short time I had added a 22LR barrel and then the 221 Rem. Fireball barrel and in a couple of years I also added a 14 inch 35 Rem. barrel and used that barrel to kill my first handgun deer. A real nice 8 point that was the first deer checked that year. For several years that was the only thing that I hunted with, but finally started using such things as a Smith and Wesson model 19 for deer and then a Dan Wesson in 44 Magnum.

Due to an accident I had to quit the construction industry. So went to college got a masters degree and the a job teaching Drafting and Design in a Community collage and retired from there at age 65 after 20 years with the collage. During the time I was in collage and being a Teacher, I just did not have time to hunt or fish and did not accumulate any Contenders. After retiring I picked up a couple of Encores, but they just aren't as much fun as the Contenders, so got away from them and back to the Contenders. I now have 8 frames and 30 something barrels. The barrels are a combination of Pistol barrels and Rifle barrels, and a few are Wildcats.

I have gotten so crippled up in the last few years that I can't get out and hunt like I used to. I hunt from a blind now and have to drive my truck right up too it. Doesn't seem to bother the deer at all. The deer just seem not to pay any attention to the truck and just come into the field like it wasn't there. By taking the truck to the blind I can easily take a rifle and a pistol both in with me, I usually take 7-Waters barrels a pistol for closer in shots and the rifle for longer shots. I can change that up as I wish I also have 30-30 Win. and 7mm TCU combination barrels.

I know that Charlie Sterner has at least one Contender and also Rick (Gray fox) has at least one, so if any of the rest of you fellows like and possibly have one or two let me know and we can share stories and desires. Now that Smith and Wesson has quit manufacturing them the price has really gone up and the numbers have really dropped off. I only have the original one that I bought and the rest are later issue models what are known as the easy-open type and then I have one of the G2 (mini Encore) but it will share the barrels with the older models.

I'm interested in a 7-30 rifle barrel if you have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts