Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally became curious enough about the 204 Ruger to buy a 23 inch barrel on EBay. When I lived in AZ I could hop out to the desert and go try it out, shooting spots in SC are few and far between. Anybody have one and got good results with it? What is the twist rate, and what bullet/load combination does it like best? I loaded some 32 grain VMax bullets and 27.5 grains of Accurate 2520 in WW cases with a Rem 7.5 primer. If it shoots anything as good as my 17 Remington TC barrel, it will be a winner. Where was this round when I hunted coyotes in AZ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 700 vls in 204. I have had good results with benchmark and the 32gr vmax and the 32gr sierra. The vmax seem to shoot just a little better than the sierra with what I have tried so far. Both of these loads still shoot five shots you can cover with a dime. I also use hornady or ww brass and rem primers sorry I donot have the tc barrel yet but plan on getting the new 28" barrel it should realy smoke the 32gr bullets good luck

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
T/Cs can be fussy, as you probably know. Assuming you get the headspace right on your ammo, try 27.5 H-322 with a 32 VM, or 27.3 Benchmark with a 32 Sierra, and see how those loads do. They are the favored load in my Savage and CZ. I use Win. cases and 205M primers in them. I don't have any data handy for the 2520 powder, but it's slow enough to be more useful with the heavier bullets. Try some with 39 Sierras, it should be dandy, if a bit slow.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have a CZ and had a T/C in .204. Both prefered the Serria 32 gr. bullets, with the 39 gr. Serrias next and the 32 gr Hornady`s not far behind. The Serria`s are my choice for groundhog , but are to thin skinned for coyote and I use the 32 Hornady on them. I would use the 40 Hornadys but they just don`t shoot well in my gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.