Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have dealings with opticsplanet.com?

I ordered a scope on June 1st. Later I got a notification that the scope was on back order for 4-6 weeks. It's been 16!!! I've called multiple times inquiring and pretty much got the run around each time. 2 weeks ago, a sales rep said the order came in and expected to ship within 48 hours.

I gave them 4 days without word from them. I started calling and after 3 attempts, got through. Shipping was delayed because scopes couldn't be entered into the system. Expect to ship in 3 days. That time I gave them 5 days. No word. Finally I sent a lengthy e-mail to the senior vp who originally sent me the message about the back order. Today I got the reply that that particular scope won't come in til December!!! What the hell!

I ordered this scope for a 300 blackout I plan to use for deer hunting in a month. Now I'm left hanging using a back up scope. I'd tell optics planet to shove the scope where the sun don't shine, but I used a credit from a friend. Also the scope was on a huge sale at the time. Worth it, if it ever arrives.

Anyone run into this before?

Registered
I've ordered/rec'd 2 or 3 scopes from them but mine were all "in stock", and processed in a reasonable time. The free shipping slows things down a bit, but no complaints from me. I've read of your situation in other threads/forums about optics planet on other forums, but not experienced it first hand.

Administrator
Several years ago, probably 25 to 30 I did a lot of photography using 35mm cameras. I ordered a back up lens from them for a mamiya (spelling) camera. It was not a real high dollar lens so was not a lot of money. Never got the lens and never got my money back. Never buy anything from them again.

Registered
Have had successful orders with them. I did have a problem with a spoting scope I had ordered. Lots of time and run around. I ended up getting another brand at slight discount for my trouble.

I now use Sport Optics for all,my scope needs. Good prices, excellent service.

https://www.sportoptics.com

Registered
I signed up for their sales ads but never found them to be competitive on the items that were of interest to me. They sent so many ads that I sent an unsubscribe notice to them; twice.

I still get the ads.

Registered
I've read quite a few posts about them being slow or unpredictable on orders. Also read several regarding the status of their "in stock" being a problem when they advertise a sale.

I've bought 3 scopes from them without a hitch. Transactions went very well, no problems. It's luck of the draw or lack there of I guess. :confused: WD

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Once again called service number. Got the run around for a bit. Then asked to call back. Gave em a bit because I had work to do. Called back the next day. The People blanked as to my issue. :mad:

I finally asked to be transferred to manager or someone who knows what's going on. I Explained my situation from the beginning. After being on hold for 20 minutes, I was told this story: the scopes were put on back order 5 months ago because manufacturer sent a large order with the wrong scopes. New large order was supposed to arrive September 25th. Which it did, with the wrong stuff again. Manager says they're trying to figure out what's going on. Assured me the new stock order would arrive October 5.... Which I found hilarious because I called them the 8th and the 9th. They didn't have a clue where the new shipment was. Once again, I feel like I'm being fed a line of b.s.

Like others have stated, I was offered a lesser scope at a not as good deal (still good deal, but not the great deal they owe me now) guess I'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Registered
I ordered a scope and got it on time, didn't like it when I took it out of the box. got a rma and sent it back. they say all refunds processed in 10 days or less. it took me 30 days to get my refund and that was after several calls.
no thanks.

Registered
Can't say we had much issue with OP when I worked at the gunshop. We had a few orders be delayed - but with only one exception, we didn't have too much trouble.

Personally, I've had several good experiences with SWFA that were excellent!

I think the issue may be the fact so many scopes have set up shop in China. That makes it tough for a big distributor to deal with individual customer issues - or it could.

By FAR, my best results are when I go to the manufacture's site and place an order. There yer talkin to the horse's mouth - the source of the scopes - some of which go to big distributors.

Nikon
Leupold
Nightforce
Weaver...

All of the above have given me A+++ customer service. Dealers?? meh...Not so much. I'd rather go direct.
nhoj-008: What scope is it your having issues with??

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Hey paul

The scope on back order is an atibal mroc. It's a fixed 3 power that's supposed to be a good quality clone of the acog". I'm putting it on a "pistol" 300 blackout I put together for this hunting season.

I know it's not a high end scope, but really wanted to give it a try this season. Kinda a budget build to try out in our zone. Area I hunt is shotgun only for deer. Pistols are allowed as an after thought. :D

Registered
I know it's not a high end scope, but really wanted to give it a try this season. Kinda a budget build to try out in our zone. Area I hunt is shotgun only for deer. Pistols are allowed as an after thought. :D[/QUOTE]

I may carry my ar-15 300 blackout pistol as a concealed pistol during archery season which is perfectly legal in my state. I usually carry a 45 acp but after getting a trail camera picture of a rather healthy looking bear I might want something with a little more penetration.

Registered
The bear isn鈥檛 a problem yet. If there is no cubs it鈥檚 not a problem. Did you know the bear was around before you captured it on the trail cam. It鈥檚 scared of people and it stays out of your way and hides from you. I doubt you will. Ever see that bear.
If your concerned about encountering it, you will be much better off with a shotgun and slugs, than a pistol.

Registered

here he is about 6 months before, the time stamp is way off. we think he was around a couple years before when he was about 2/3 that size. the neighbor had him treed behind hid house, all the neighbor came and took pictures of him. later he came down from the tree and the dogs ran him up a tree in the front yard.
the neighbors son was about 20 at the time, he was messing with the bear and the bear had enough. he started snapping his jaws and coming down the tree. this you will have to use your imagination . the kid (young man) took off across the yard, he is 6'2' and skinny. he had a 7 foot walking stick in his hand. he looked like Moses on his way to part the red sea , yelling all the way "he's going to eat me".
the bear exited the tree and went the opposite direction. later fish and game came over and located the bear and threw cherry bombs his direction and he left very quickly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes, gives ya the shivers. I bought some acreage up north. About 3 months ago, I was walking the property and had some quail scare my pants off. Kept walking and heard more rustling. I didn't pay it much mind until it started crashing through the woods like a tank.

Later I talked to my neighbors. He said, yup. Big old black bear. I scared him out and the neighbor seen him running. I asked if I should start carrying when walking. He said, are you scared of raccoons? Same difference. :eek:

Registered
A good friend of mine dispatched a black bear in Colorado, using a 45 ACP.

The bear was trashing the inside of his storage shed; no idea what the bear was looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts