Varmint Hunters Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
All right you Rushmore guys. My dad and I got the special privilege to climb up top of ole Mt. Rushmore in 2003. Dad knew somebody who knew somebody.

Here's the view from the top of George's head.

Sky Plant Bedrock Hat Mountain

View from the top

Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain Terrain

The hall of records (located behind and into the mountain). Ironically, nothing in it but a marker.

Clothing Composite material Concrete Archaeological site Arch

Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque Cemetery Grave

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That is too cool Charlie. As we were hiking around there, I was wondering what it would look like from up there. Kinda like being in a boat and wondering what’s just around that next bend. I didn’t see it from the top but I walked around behind the mountain and took this picture.
Cloud Sky Gesture Art Sculpture

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Late morning check in for me, 70 headed to 77 today, great early fall day! I cast 250 8mm bullets yesterday, 245 gr for my 2 8x58R rolling blocks. Cleaned a bunch of guns, took some back in the house and put in safes. Tommorow our local Sav A Lot is having a one day meat sale, pork sirloin roasts for .99 a #, I like to slice these and do a Quick cure with Mortons Tender Quick curing salt, rub down both sides, drop in a ziploc bag, put in the fridge for 2 days, rinse and freeze. Taste like country ham, not too much salt, and tender. Got to deliver a couple of items today, then maybe some more shooting the Quigley rifle, it is shooting the 500gr slugs pretty dang good. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The statistics regarding the monument and the building of it would stagger even the blabber mouths at a baseball or football game. I can’t imagine working on such a project. The monument had a role in the Alfred Hitchcock thriller “North By Northwest”.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is some purty lumber. I have a McMillan composite stock that needs a new pad as well. Several other gents with the same stock have the same problem, pad is all gummy. Bad enough it will stick to your shirt or hide.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.... nice and cool this morning when I got to the shop so I suited up and started welding early at about 5:30am. Wasn't too bad until after lunch then it felt a little warmer. Got more furnace part to weld on and a tile boot got dropped off earlier to work on and the ex fire chief dropped off a bunch of pieces to weld for a kit he markets to fire departments. The big ass weight is still hanging on the rear of the tractor as far as I know. They called and want the 9K lb weight taken off the other tractor and want me to fit the other 15Klb weight. I bet its hard on the center pivot of those tractors!
I hope to get the parts from the machine shop for my sons engine...2.0.. and it will be a 383 stroker. I also have to yank the engine out of my suburban really soon and tear it down nd go through it. It will get a DOD delete set up with new cam and lifters nd all new rings and bearings along with redone heads. I need to park my El Camino and Coronet out by the road for sale since I have no time for those.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Got the calves sorted and hauled to the scales his morning. Pretty even split….same # of steers and heifers. Cut back 3 heifers and left on momma’s. Son called from bank after went in to settle up. He texted and said the check covered all his farm note and had $100 left over…LOL.
Now all the cows are paid for, semi-load of cubes in the bin, and all winter hay is paid for, and seed wheat and fertilizer purchased for next year. Oldest cows are 5 and 1/2 of cows just weaned their 1st calf. Needless to say, I’m proud of him and DIL. He said, “you realize it will be 12 months before the next paycheck comes in”. LOL….life of a cattleman.
It’s been a lot of years, but land and cattle debt free. I truly didn’t expect it to happen in my lifetime. Son and I purchased 600 acres about 10 years ago and grandkids bought 300 acres at the same time. It’s been a long haul but it was worth it. Sorry I’m sitting here pounding my chest.
The Good Lord has blessed us and to him I give thanks.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Almost forgot to mention, I finally finished remodeling my camper.
Skruske….how did I do?

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Isn't that an offshoot of the latest craze - "Glamper"?
The mtg retirement is certainly worthy of some personal awa pride in your son. A heartfelt congrats to you both. You guys are on your way to being Cattle Barons.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts