Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
32° here in Upstate NY this morning under foggy misty skies, the high temperature today will be up to about 36° It will be a mixed weather day with a 100% chance for a wintry mix with a 7 to 10mph wind. No real accumulation of either snow or ice though.

Yesterday wasn't a real busy day mostly just laid back. Saw the Treasurer of the gun club to cosign a couple of checks and I also paid my property taxes in the morning. Today I really don't know what I am going to have to do besides whatever I want to.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys..
53 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Think they say it might be wet today.
Back to the old grind today. Buddy called me about 3 yesterday and asked if I remembered where a cutoff was. Had a leak in the wall and they couldn't find the cutoff. I went to try and help but the boss man was a ass so I turned around and left since I was off for the day. They ended up cutting the line and put another cutoff on...said they have to go back today and finish...buddy text at 730 and told me what they had done. This used to be a good place to work. Guess it's like that everywhere nowadays. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's light snow and 28. The big winter storm mostly passed south of us, still I have 5 inches in the drive. That's on top of the sheet ice that the warm days created from
the snow pack. I guess I will spend the morning cleaning out. This afternoon is the old curmudgeon shooting group.
We had dinner at Bakers Square yesterday, cheap breakfast was good and it's free pie Wednesday. We enjoy eating out, but $35-$40 a time is getting cost prohibitive.
Hope everyone has a great Thursday, even Donnie
Ken

· Registered
538 Posts
Good morning, fellow GGVG'ers. 31 here, headed up just a bit to maybe the mid 30's with rain expected later this afternoon. There may be 1-3" of snow in the hill towns but for the most part it will be rain. Supposed to go right through tomorrow mid day so a mess around here by the sounds.
Didn't do much yesterday except go to the hockey game as planned. We came out on top by a good margin. Game was closer than the score would indicate but it seemed all the breaks came our way.
Not much planned at all today except a short visit to the shop and then hunker down at home from the wet. I took a rib roast out of the freezer a couple of days ago and we've invited Mom and my brother for dinner tonight to enjoy it with us. Mom probably won't come due to the weather but if not, we'll run a plate up to her for dinner.
Hope you all have a good one as you enjoy the day before the day before the weekend.
Ken

· Registered
10,596 Posts
Good morning all. Another wet 50s day brewing in Indy. Nothing special happening here today. Loaded some .224V ammo yesterday and I'll stop by Sportsmans Warehouse for a couple more boxes for reloads. Did a little pistol shooting while the danger wimmens were having their open house which was a semi-disaster. The old leader (they love that title) had allegedly reserved the conference room but there was a class going on when they arrived. Lesson for the new leaders. Anyway, 9MM brass has been in the tumbler overnight and I'm falling behinder in processing it. Now that the Dillon is switched over to a rifle caliber I'll run a lot more of those than I need. I do need to make a run to one of the ranges where we can shoot at least 100 yards, preferably 200, to find out how much powder and how many bullets I'm wasting on the Valkyrie ammo.

Today would be Mex night but our waitress is having surgery so it's pizza night. If you ever get near Greenwood, IN, I highly recommend Jockamos PIzza. Particularly the one they call the Slaughter House Five. Meat lover's pizza on steroids! I feel arteries clogging up just from thinking about it.

Went by the hospital to see my pal who had the bypass surgery Monday. I'm continually amazed at modern medicine. He's doing fine but he's got 5-6 IVs dripping stuff into him and had 3 tubes draining stuff out of him including the always-fun catheter! The tubes were all removed yesterday, the IVs remain. Says he should be going home in 2-3 days.

I failed to shut off my alarm clock when I got up and it just went off which sets Trey to howling in response. "Sprinted" back to the bedroom to shut it down. That is likely to be the excitement and exercise for the day.

Prayers offered. Have a good day.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 52* and no rain so far, going to turn colder tomorrow into the weekend. I gotta go to the lot early this morning and get a truck ready for pickup headed to the auction. After that going to take it easy the rest of the day, may hit a couple gun shops on the way home. That's about it for now, you all have a good one. God Bless,

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Good morning everyone. At the shop for a while now...Dog woke the wife up at 3:30 then the wife decided everyone needed to be up. I tried to sleep again but got up at 4am and took a shower and made coffee and a couple egg and cheese sandwiches. Got a dairy skid steer bucket to put a new cutting edge on and a muffler to repair.

Last night glass guy put my windows in my truck and I tore the calipers, rotors,and brackets off the suburban to replace the front wheel speed sensors. They were broke off in housings so I had to drill them out and use an airhose to get them to pop out. TRaction control lights as well as ABS lights are turned off now as well as the brake light.

Hope everyone has a good day!

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 5 above this morning, got a little more snow yesterday but still not over a half inch total. Just enough to drop the temp across the valley.
Mostly normal day here yesterday, chores were done, then worked in the shop some.
Gwyn called me after she got off work and said I'd have to come to town and get her, some guy ran a red light and broad sided her Subie. No one hurt but the
car, will have the fun of dealing with insurance company now, probably won't total it although it has lots of miles and is a older one. Hope they do though.
Better get around, have a good day and be safe. Prayers for those with health issues and other things going on.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning folks,

The overnight rain is finishing up and thankfully it's still January warm at 35° here near HalfwayUSA.

I did some barn chores yesterday after modifying a dresser mirror and frame for Debra Dearest. I did some maintenance on my truck while it was nice out. At mid day I gave some of old hunting partner's fly fishing stuff to a good friend of his.

Late in the afternoon I ventured to the gun club to reset the combination on the lock for the front gate. Following that was the gun club meeting. I was re-elected secretary for the 14th time. Something unusual happened, we removed 8 people from the roster for various reasons. With only 60 paid members, losing 12% in one year has never happened before. I will be sending out 8 invitations today.

For those who are following along with the adapter box story about my wood stove. I suppose a picture will be worth 1000 words. This is Corey's work with aid of a flat bed plasma cutter & "squirt gun" welder.

The left side inserts into the exit of the stove to transition vertically into the chimney. A little chemical prep then some gas grill paint & it should out live me.

Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Flooring

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 38 going on 44 (couple good calibers) today with rain all day. Good day to work! Mud season came early I think. I won't make any comments about having an easy winter so far...oh :poop:, I just did. I don't think we're out of the woods yet, but hopefully in a few weeks Ole Phil doesn't see his shadow. I'm fine with that. Yesterday I ran to Walmart at lunch for bird seed and got the feeders put out after work. Late this year, haven't had time to mess with it. But it's been a warm winter...:poop: I did it again, didn't I? Oh well, the birds will be happy either way. I shot my flintlock off to unload it. Dead on at about 40 yards, so I had no reason to miss that one doe the other week. Lotta air around 'em. I got that cleaned and put away for the year instead of leaving it loaded all year. Sam would disown me if I did that again. Doug, we had Mex last night, but homemade. Chorizo and pineapple tacos. Yum. We used pork this time but I gotta be honest, my deer chorizo is MUCH better.

Truck is at the shop for oil change, tire rotation and state inspection. Have a wheel sensor outta whack. I should get that fixed, and I think maybe a ball joint or tie rod is worn. See what else they find. At 150K miles, it should be easy for them to find something. Sue's Explorer goes in tomorrow.

Well, enough of my rambling. Better get to work. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. At 0734 it's a warm 51 in Louisville, going to 60 around 2 or 3 p.m. We supposedly had pretty hard rain at some point last night, but I don't know how much. Today will be the last warm day for a while.

No sleepums! Woke up around 4 a.m. and never got back to sleep. I know that's a fairly regular get-up time for some of you, but it sure isn't for ol' Mikey.

Yesterday's big event was the monthly luncheon with some guys who sang together many, many years in our local men's barbershop chorus. I sang with the group more than 20 years, but some of the guys at yesterday's gathering sang for 30-40 years. Lots of good times to remember and it's always a fun gathering.

Dean, I'm sure glad Gwyn wasn't hurt in the car crash. Sheet metal can be fixed or replaced a whole lot easier than flesh and blood. It's a reminder for all of us to never fail to kiss our loved ones every time we or they leave the house.

George, I wish I had more of your PC skills. I had to take my laptop to the repair guy a few weeks ago and he ended up reloading the operating system. In the process, he saved my Chrome bookmarks (favorites). Problem is, I now can't figure out how to restore those bookmarks. Frustrating.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and remember to lift up prayers for our friends here and for our nation.

· Registered
2,924 Posts
54 and it’s gonna get warm before the rain comes along to cool us back down. Gonna try to dodge raindrops and shoot some clay targets today. Sorry to hear the workplace has gone downhill Donnie. I’ve been fortunate enough to have what I consider a couple of good jobs over the years. It has been frustrating at times but those times were only temporary and I was compensated for the frustration. I always tell some of the younger guys here,” They have to pay us to come in. If it was fun, WE would have to pay THEM to do it”.
Enough of that. The weekend is almost here and it is shaping up to be a good one.
Scott, that is some impressive fab work Corey did there.
Wishing everyone a good day.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good Morning everyone,
I hate to mention but the weather app says mild to upper 70's bright and sunny ☀ in the sunshine state. 10-15 mph Southern winds .
Today is the Mrs birthday she is 62 today . Actually it's been her birthday week .Todays plan is going to try a new restaurant to us in Englewood called Farlow's on the water for lunch and I'm sure I will take her to supper in downtown Venice this evening.
Yesterday afternoon I got a few good drills in with the hound. He did a few blind retrieves that where I send him out after lining him up and using hand signals to direct him to the object. Generally the object dummy , ball or bird is 60-70 yards out and within 3 whistles he's on the target . Then all his buddies came while we were there and I made him honor the other dogs . Then I allowed him to sniff butt and mark everything he is still intact and just be a dog .
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and safe.
HHH

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Thirty six degrees and rain was enough to cut Red T. Bassett’s poop walk short this morning at 4:30AM. If I read this radar right, it looks like rain for the next hour or so. Donnie, I had the greatest job in the world until the Detroit City and the DFD hierarchy and the new members changed complexion. I let the little things bother me and with 27 years seniority, I retired. We have a 25 years retirement plan. I was 52 years old and have been retired for 31 years. Martin L. King says not to judge a person by the color of his skin but by his character. I do and I still come up with the same conclusion. Our pension plan is a good one and with incremental pay raises and adjustments for inflation, I’m making more now than when I was working. Add S.S. to that and I ain’t hurting…..yet. Let’s go Brandon is trying to change that. I still let the little things bother me but I’m not going back. So, with your knowledge of door, you can retire and get a job as a bouncer at a strip club.
Oh HHH, does Mrs H. Know your ultimate plans for tonight?

· Registered
7,485 Posts
Good sunny morning from Appalachia at 63° after some rain last night. No far in the woodstove today.
If you burn Wood, burn all your empty plastic bottles and stuff in the Stove and you will NOT have Creosote problems. I ain't been on my roof in at least 5 years. Used to be about 2 or 3 times a year.
@hedgehoghunter this doesn't apply to You.

We were glad to hear Gwyn was UNinjured in her crash yesterday.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Dean, It will "Rub Out."
Justin (middle son) was almost home to his house near Ft. Knox when he encountered a DEER in his 2022 Honda. It left on a Rollback to never return. Totalled. But he only got some small cuts from flying glass and is OK.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Automotive side marker light

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Not a straight piece of metal on the car.
I have been "prepping" brass for a bunch of 5.56 ammo I may load in a few days...or weeks. Don't like it; just lazy I guess. I am getting prepped for the Zombie Hordes or the AFT whichever comes first. No PD hunt as the Prices have gone to the stratosphere. Been There Done That anyway. We are Hoping to go see what is left of old @Bruce Eakins when the cows get on grass. After Vegas??? Not much left probably.
I never been to Vegas but JB has...I need to send her out there to stand on the corner and make money stead of wasting it here.
You folks have a nice day and be safe.

@FBecigneul truer words have never been spoken. Obongo said: "We live in the Greatest Country in the World and I am going to Change It." And did.

Martin L. King says not to judge a person by the color of his skin but by his character. I do and I still come up with the same conclusion.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Late check-in this morning! Its 45º and Sunny here headed to 50 with a West wind of 15 mph or so.

Yesterdays big event was taking the Wife in for a blood draw and then an appointment at another clinic. It started raining while I waited in the car and rained all day. I don't know how much we got. I thought about taking some brass to work on but decided the effort to pissant all the stuff out to the truck and back wasn't worth the effort so I spent the afternoon after we got home working on primer pockets. I'll tumble the stuff sometime today. Then the DIL called and wanted me to pick up the Granddaughter from school again and take Her to gymnastics. Seems She had a teachers meeting.

Not much planned for today. The housekeeper will be here in a bit so I'll go hide out someplace.

Dean, glad your Wife wasn't injured but I'll bet She was sore this morning. While taking the Granddaughter to gymnastics yesterday I passed through a residential area for about a mile with one 4way stop in about the middle. As I was stopping a car coming from the other direction just flat ran the stop sign. Never even slowed down or looked! They're everywhere!!!

Donnie, in my nearly 35 years as a Lineman I had some good bosses and some bad. A good one made it a pleasure to go to work and a bad one made it a challenge to get the job done! I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a boss very much except at meetings.

Scott, thats some nice looking work!

JR, my oldest Son hit a Deer last year and it totaled his Toyota truck. It was the night before Deer Season and I had to go get him and the Grandson. We had to move all of his gear to my truck. The Grandson was hurting in his chest so we took him to the emergency room at the nearest hospital to have him checked out. We got back to camp about 3:00 am.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Well, I've rambled on long enough! Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 55 heading to 65 and sunny for the most part, light breeze. Got a lot done yesterday, loaded several rounds of .300 win mag and .264 win mag. I shot the 264 some, even as heavy as it is it still moves me around quite a bit when shooting. It still shoots every load I have tried 1/2 MOA or better. Got a buddy coming down today to shoot rifles, a 6XC I built him and a ML, I plan on shooting the ML I bought Tuesday as well. Yesterday I also zeroed the Savage that i replaced the .243 barrel on. I had taken the scope off when changing barrels, put it back on and started zeroing at 100 yds, 4 shots and done. It has been my experience, that when changing barrrels out on Savage rifles, that when putting the scope back on if it is a good one, the zero will be within 4-5 inches at 100 yds. The .243 was 4" high and 2" right, 2 more shots to zero, and one more to confirm it. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Morning all. Slight drizzle and 47F right now. Tomorrow is rumored to include some snow flurries. Bah, Humbug.

No big plans for the day, just my PT, lunch and a nap or a movie if anything good is on. Tomorrow morning is an early visit to my PCP, including a fasting blood sugar test and a bunch more tests. Be safe nd keep warm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts