Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies, the high temperature for today will be about 63°. We got some light showers late in the afternoon yesterday last night. Today we are supposed to have a 90% chance for rain.

Yesterday was a day of fixing computers here at home and I also got the yard mowed once again. I went over and talked to the President of the gun club for a bit about the proposal we have for leasing a part of our property for a stone quarry. He also had some receipts to give me for our riding lawn mower yearly tuneup, Today I will be on the road this morning and I have more club renewals I have to process.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 48 and going to be windy and 68. Should be seeing some sunshine. Yesterday, well it was different. Needing groceries and considering how gloomy the clouds were I went to the local gun shop. I knew they had a JC Higgins 22 barn gun. It was still covered dirt from living in the barn. Other wise in good shape. Turns out it was made by Marlin and a model I didn't have so it followed me home.
Today I need to make a grocery and fuel run.
How everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Good morning you all it's 62* and looks like a little rain over night. I got the grass cut before the rain, the warm rain will make it grow even faster lol. Glad duty today, see what surprises await us there, have a good one today.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Good morning. Raining and 64 in Indy. We might improve to 66 with rain all day. Looks like it could be a Dillon day.

Been trying to figure out the Roku I picked up a week ago. It’s working but I’m not a techno-guy. Might be a smart TV or a smart nephew, or both, in our immediate future.

Routine blood draw yesterday AM. In and out, no pain, no hassle in about 15 minutes. Young guy was pretty good. If they get me on the first stick I’m happy.

Off to start the day. Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Good rainy morning everyone. At the shop and hope to get the angle iron bracing all done today. Dragging around 15' long 4x4 angle is starting to put the whammy on my back. Even doing most of the lifting with the forktruck. Stopped by and looked at my buddies new to him camper last night. Its a 22ft Forest river Ultra work and play. I think he said it was a 2009 model and looks to be used very very little. Dang thing has a gasoline tank and pump set up in for your side by sides or 4 wheelers too. He got it from a co worker I think for a damn good price for sure!
He washed some of the dirt off of it last night while I was there and it looks like new.

I cleaned up the 9mm fugly upper a little last night but it needs a good tear down. I need to order a couple sten mags and see about making the crap to make them work in a standard lower.

Supposed to rain about all day I think so I ain't gonna be working outside that's for sure!

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
morning all. 26 with a breeze, maybe low 60s and wind again. Was cold yesterday with a NE wind out of the pass all day! Should be warmer for the weekend.
Started on another sprinkler yesterday but had to go take care of cows, hope to finish it this morning. We had 4 sprinklers running yesterday, will have to warm up some this morning before we can re-start them.
Not much else going on, one tractor in the field with the v-chisel on it. Haven't planted any oats yet, still plenty early for that.
Better move along, have a good day and be safe. Prayers for the needy and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I sure don’t like the sound of that quarry lease, George. They get their foot in the door and the next thing you know there’s no shooting on Tuesday and then on Thursday and then no more shooting. And they have lawyers.
Not much going on here today. We mowed yesterday and it looks like we may get some rain this morning.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great morning folks,

47° with cloud cover and scattered rain moving through the area here near HalfwayUSA.

The trip to old hunting partner's place was productive. I got some brush & limbs cleared away from the driveway. His bills got paid & I got to hear about golf.

I'm not sure what trouble awaits today other than I get my second Phizer shot this afternoon. Despite having a small pile of money in the gun safe that is asking to be let out, I am resisting the temptation to build a 10/22. I need to acquire a Nightforce first but passing up good deals on gun parts is not a discipline I am known for.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky and it is Daylight again.
OK. We received a minuscule amount of rain yesterday and it is very dry here for April.
I worked on a Spring yesterday to get more water flow because they have really tapered off. Still replacing Rake Teeth and down to 4 now I think....I get tired very easy and I quit for a while.

Otis the Cat is doing better after the Medical Team gave him a shot of Cow Medicine.
Had a 250# calf die from unknown reason yesterday.

An ammo auction going down tonight and I might attend just to watch Grown Men act like Women after Cabbage Patch dolls. Saturday is a Live Auction of a Firearms collection. Includes one P08 Luger. Hummm. Lot of Revolvers; deceased was an X KSP trooper and an old friend.
I said I would Never fill out another ATF form but I will see how crazy high things are. Someday this Antigun hysteria will come home to us.

Have a good day and be safe. Don't go outside if you see Black Surburbans pull up in your driveway....Give them all your Ammo first.

·
Administrator
12,332 Posts
Good morning gang. It's 66 here and wet from a few showers we had overnight. More rain on the way later today it seems. We could use it. Things are really starting to green up. I hope the heat and moisture make the mushrooms pop. My bud found 6 last night. I didn't get to look. I was helping another buddy mount a depth finder on his ski boat. They don't make anything easy nowadays. If they just put one friggen piece of conduit in there for all the wires, cables and such, we could have fished a tape and been done with it. But no...had to rip off a speaker, take out the instrument cluster and yank off the throttle control panel just to get the damn fish tape thru. I have fiberglass splinters in my hands and arms this morning and they're no fun. Next problem was how to drill holes in the dash. There is limited space and the angle of the windshield won't allow a standard drill to get in there. And no access from bottom either. He's going to need to find a right-angle drill I reckon.

We got the transducer mounted and pulled the wire to the dash and everything back together. So we go to look at power supply. There's a wire attached at the fuse block + side and it runs with the harness back to the battery, has another in-line fuse, and is disconnected. It's red/purple, and obviously is intended to be the power supply. What I don't get is how? I'm guessing they just had it temporarily connected to the fuse panel so it doesn't flop around. But if it's intended to be wired directly to the battery at one end and to the unit at the other end, why connect to the fuse block and label it depth finder? Also, wiring directly to the battery would allow you to run the unit without turning on the master power switch to the panel...which could be helpful, but could also allow you to forget to turn off the DF and run your battery down. I said screw it. The fuse panel is hot and has a negative side. Ran the power cord from the unit to the appropriate terminals and it fired right up.

Mom said the bunny is doing well. It's eating more and is very active. She said it's growing more hair and crawling around on her hand doing well. I expect it to open it's eyes soon. It just might make it. Then what do we do...let it go and it gets eaten by an hawk/owl/fox/cat? LOL Oh well...at least we're giving it a chance.

Enough rambling, I need to get moving. Prayers sent. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Good morning, GoGo, and HAPPY THURBY! More on that later. Today's high was supposed to be 69, but it's 71 already, so I don't know what's up with that. Has to do with all the rain, I guess. More rain, with heavy thunderstorms, through today.

So, what's Thurby? So, years ago Derby Day was pretty much for the tourists, the celebrities, and the well-heeled crowd here in Kentucky. The rest of us took over the track on Oaks Day, which is the Friday before Derby. Little by little, the celebs and hoity-toity crowd started making it a two-day affair and they took over Oaks Day. Louisvillians backed things up a day and Thursday became their day at the track, nicknamed Thurby Day. It's gonna take a literal seahorse to win some of today's races as the track is so muddy the horses are dang near swimming.

Didn't' do much beyond work-work yesterday and today will be about the same.

Shane, so you're saying that you're gonna have to fabricate the adapter that makes Sten mags work in your 9mm upper? Knowing how finicky pistols are about magazines, that's going to be a real challenge, I would say, but one you are rather uniquely qualified to tackle. If I'm correct that you are having to fabricate a totally new adapter, I'm wondering if you couldn't build one for a mag more common and much cheaper, like a Glock mag.

Y'all have a good'n, lift with your legs, and ask for God's intervention in our problems, both personal and national.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 65 getting cooler with rain, don't know how much but was windy with off on rain most of the night. I just now got internet access, must have to do with the wind. Be safe and Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Mike they make a modified sten mag I guess or did at one time.

you can see the sheet box tack welded to it.
I might try a Glock mag but the adapters have the ejector built in, my upper had the ejector built into it. I'm still trying to see what I can find as far as parts.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Morning all, 71 heading to 80 or so today. Rain off and on all day and night yesterday, same today. Got my truck dropped off at the dealer, they called me about 4 hours later, and my aftermarket key was the problem, battery is about dead and I had them make me a Toyota key, only $125, and $90 for the computer guy to scan it. They also said both side air pumps for the motor was showing a slight code, but that could be caused by the bad key, only $1700 to replace them. I told them since it might not be a problem, lets wait till it was one before throwing $1700 at it. Got to go pick it up at noon, when the wife gets out of her doc appointment today. I switched some sights out on a Henry 45/70 single shot, put a skinner peep sight on rear, and a Lyman 17, the tallest one they make on the front. I have a similar set up on my 30/30 Henry single shot and it is a tack driver. Got a buddy coming down to try to do some gun trading today, this afternoon about 4pm. You all have a good one, remember the sick in our prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 70º and cloudy here and only expected to warm up to the mid 70's. We have rain forecast for most of the day.

Yesterday I ended up at my buddies lakehouse again. His Wife wanted the electrical outlets and switches changed. I don't blame her, the covers and devices didn't match, some were painted over and most of them were pretty dirty. The first set of switches I started on had the wire so short you couldn't get the switch out of the box. You never know what you are going to find when you start a project like that. Theres a reason I keep a bundle of scrap wire in my tool bag! About 4:00 I declared it quitting time and headed to the deck for a couple of beers!

Today is going to be a lazy day (maybe). My Financial advisor , who is a Friend, and his Daughter are suppose to stop by about midmorning to visit. My Prairie Dog hunting buddy may come by this afternoon. His digital scale died in the middle of a loading session and I'm going to help him get finished up. The end of May will be here before you know it and he needs ammo!

Prayers offered for our members having health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
65º with clouds, fog and rain in the hollow. Will probably be like this for a good part of the day. Yesterday was a mixed bag. I did some work on the wife's retaining wall and unloaded crossties from my trailer which I will need on Saturday for the gator. Those things are heavier than just a few years ago. But I improvised and got 'er done. Then I had a visit to the dentist to replace a temporary crown that shattered on Tuesday night. Not sure about today, but it's a near certainty that nothing outside we be done. I do have a few packages to mail and might load some ammo for the next match. 4 weeks from this morning I plan to be on the road heading west.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

When the ATF comes to your house
Kentucky a couple months ago.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
"Miss Me Yet??"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts