Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Thursday Morning 5/25/23

368 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  JRinKY
39° here in Upstate NY this morning under fair somewhat starry skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 61°. It will be a nice day sunny day with an 8 to 10 mph wind.

I basically spent all day yesterday at the gun club, I shot one of my 6mm's in the morning and went back up and got the club all mowed. Today I just plan on taking life easy.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.
Reactions: 4
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Mornin boys...
51 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Well, the brass panic bar didn't get put on yesterday. Guess I'll be doing that today. Run all day yesterday doing little jobs door knobs, sink facuets, sink drains leaks.
Even changed some light bulbs.
Trout stocking will be Friday and just so happens I'll be off...lol yep lucky I guess...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie
56° here this morning and that is a welcome relief to the humid 84° of yesterday. It was a hot day at work, followed by a hot day here at home. Mowed some grass and got rid of some rotten tree stumps. It really didn’t seem like work though because my son was here trying out the new toy.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Seems like everyone I know is traveling this weekend. My daughter and son are in Pennsylvania. Meanwhile, we know some folks from Pennsylvania who will be coming to our neck of the woods. A group of friends are heading down to Lake Cumberland and the rest are going to Dale Hollow. It should be a quiet, relaxing 3-day weekend for me. Mowing grass, moving topsoil, and trapshooting will be on my agenda.
Be safe out there folks and make it a good day.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
My weather mimics George's, even to the starting temp at 39. I do have a pretty strong breeze right now though.
We had a good rain come through yesterday afternoon and soak all the gardens and grass. I'll probably have to mow again this weekend before lazing around.
Today I've got to order material for a small project and then we may cut and split some wood while it's cool.
Have a good one, friends.
Ken
Good morning from Waseca where it's fair and 54, high about 72. Another nice day to stay indoors and write. No other plans.
Same as yesterday. Though thinking about reloading tools and which onto write about.
Hope everyone has a great Thursday,
Ken
Good morning all. 52 heading for 71 in Indy. Golfed yesterday. Today is going to be preps for Saturday’s family cookout/cornhole championship. Expecting 25-30 here at various times. If I have a spare minute, I might start cleaning rifles……or not. Rural King for dog food right after the daily intel briefing and BS dispensing. No doubt light on the former and heavy on the latter.

Have a good day.
morning all. 27 here with mid 70s later, slight chance of moisture. Mud holes are about gone now, wind will start up again today thru the weekend.
Spent most of the morning yesterday working on a sprinkler, finally figured out what the problem is, still have to fix it but have to wait a couple days so I can get
my truck out there to work it over.
Today will be trying to get another one ready to go, maybe if plans don't get changed! Never know what will happen around here.
Boss man got back to plowing now, plans to plow alot more ground before the first of the month. One little rain and he thinks we'll have water for the whole farm
all summer!!! Sometimes I think he has lost most of his marbles!!!
Better get moving, trash day so have to haul it down the road this morning.
Have a great day and be safe. Prayers for those with health issues and other problems.
GOD BLESS. Dean
Good Morning!

47 degrees here in SC PA on the way to 70 later on. Should be partly sunny and beautiful with less humidity than yesterday. Right before dark we got some high winds and dark clouds that promised rain, but unfortunately didn't deliver anything.

I made some hollowpoints yesterday with my Waltz die out of Aguila SE copper plated 40 grain roundnoses. Then I shot them into gallon water jugs at 7 yards with my Taurus TX 22 compact. I wasn't expecting any expansion out of the short 3.6 inch barrel, but boy was I wrong!

Wood Indoor games and sports Money Recreation Currency

The bullet penetrated to the third jug and expanded to a diameter of .375 inch. Not bad for a 22 handgun!

Anyway, today after work I'll get ready for a hike to the Cove Mountain AT shelter. Just need to pack up a few things and then I'll head out tomorrow. It's probably 12 or 13 miles one way, but taking an easy pace should put me there in 5 or 6 hours. I'll stay overnight in the shelter and then get up and make coffee with mountain spring water. Probably just relax for a while, then play some tunes on my Martin Backpacker. May plink a while with the TX 22 and suppressor if nobody's around. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the huge porcupine that interrupted my sleep the last time I was there. If I see him I'll give him a couple 40 grain hollowpoints. We'll see. Make it a great day everybody!
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Great morning folks,
With hazy sunshine we start with 72° here in Grandkidville.

Debra Dearest needed a break & little sleep in South Georgia so we rested at a rest area. We were on the move again after a bit & arrived about 2:30am. About the only traffic delay was in Atlanta as usually but we were at a standstill for 3-4 minutes. The rest was slow rolling.

I will get the cargo trailer backed in the short driveway & load up some stuff. Zac will be home in the early afternoon with another car trail to transport his ‘56 F-100
Reactions: 5
Good morning folks. EC says 47, weather lady says 50 and my thermometer says --. Needs new batteries I reckon. Yeah, I was watching the weather last night too. They said we had a shot at some rain associated with that cold front. Radar showed it coming, wind picked up and temp dropped, but none. Maybe 3 drops. Big swing in temps though. It was 82 at the house yesterday when I got home. Worked on the boat a bit, cleaning up my caulking job. Didn't turn out too awful. I also got the new registration stickers on. Hope to get it out this weekend. Had to go to a viewing last evening, a friend's grandma died, then Miss Sue and I had Messican for dinner. Tried a new place, but it was just "okay". Finished up playing with the pooch a bit and watching some boob tube. Not much accomplished.

A friend told me he started taking melatonin gummies before bed time and it's made a big difference for him. I got some to try. Took 1 last night, didn't do much. Certainly didn't sleep thru the night and when I woke up, I kinda felt foggy. Maybe I'll try 2 tonight? Rite Aid had buy 1 get 1, so I have about 6 months worth!

Well, I better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie
See less See more
Good morning, GoGo. At 0814 it's 57 in Louisville, sunny, and going to 74. Humidity is low for us (67%), so it should be a really nice day outside.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. No excuse except that I was pretty busy. Started out yesterday taking Miss Cindy for her 1-day post op checkup with her eye doctor. He proclaimed everything looked great and she's already seeing much better from that right eye. She was so enthused that while she was at the doc's she asked 'em how quickly she could get the other cataract removed. They told her they could do it within a couple weeks, earlier if they had a cancellation, so she signed up.

I took Cindy home and she took off in the other vehicle to do her at-home hair work. I went to the bank, then to Kroger, where I found babyback ribs still on sale at $2.99. Found a slab, so it followed me home. Made up a fresh batch of Memphis Rub, rubbed the ribs and stuck 'em in the fridge. A few weeks ago I made some really good homemade cream cheese, so I grabbed a gallon of milk to do another batch. I let the culture work on that milk last night, so I have to get in there, get the curds into a cheesecloth bag and let 'em start draining. That should be done in 3-12 hours depending on how moist or dry I want it. Technically what I'm making is fromage blanc, which Frances should understand.

I get a little melancholy seeing the post about Greyfox blasting off for the PD fields. Sure had some good times with that bunch over the years and might try it again after I get these knees fixed up. They'll be on my prayer list for sure, and I hope there's a good crop of dogs for them. It'll be up to someone else to run a flight school for the pups this year. :D

Y'all have a great day, be safe (looking at you, JR and Scott), and lift up prayers for our friends here.

Forehead Smile Jaw News Font
See less See more
Good morning from about 40 miles from Omaha...should be in Murdo around 2 I think. Made a few 10 minutes naps then back on the road.
Will check back in later!
White cheese in English.
We rushed to get all the tenders inside and out of the frost last night. About midday the wind had switched to coming from the northeast off the Great Refrigerator called Lake Huron. I don’t think we saw 45 yesterday and last night it was 38 when I went to bed. Everything was white at 0600 for the walk and I didn’t look for a temperature. Probably no apples this year as the blossoms were at about 1/2 petal drop. These late frosts are killers.
  • Sad
Morning Everyone!

Its 72º and Sunny here headed for the low to mid 80's with a lite NE wind. Thats pretty much the forecast for the next 10 days.

Didn't do much yesterday. I went out for breakfast right after I got off of here. Did a few chores after I got home, mostly just tinkering.

Not sure what today holds yet. The housekeeper will be here so I'll go hide out in either the loading room or the garage. I also have a decision to make. My regular group of Prairie Dog hunters plan to leave on our annual trip tomorrow and the Wife is still in the hospital. She its encouraging me to go and I'm considering it, with mixed emotions. Both of the Boys plan to be around and both of them are also encouraging me to go. If I decide to go I'll spend some of the afternoon gathering up gear. We'll see..............

Mr Carl, thats a nice looking tractor! I just recently sold my Kubota. The first thing I did when I got it was to weld 2 chain hooks on the front bucket.

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country. Special prayers offered for those who are traveling the next few days.

Y'all have a good one.
See less See more
Morning all, 65 headed to 79 on this sunny day. Farmers everywhere have got the good haying weather this week, and they are using it well. A neighbor had put chicken manure on his fields early, and went heavy on it. He made the best hay crop on that field I have ever seen in my 60 years. Hope JR is doing well and staying safe,and he needs to tell us more about the new gal he has working raking hay. Shane I wish I was with you out there, I am sure I would love it. Need to get my bushog ready and get to mowing my place off, I will cut it high, so the seed heads can reseed the pastures, and leave a good amount of browse for the cattle. You all have a great day, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.
Noontime greetings from the sticks of Kentucky and another bright full sunny day.
I got about 80- 5 x5 rolls of Hay balled up yesterday and have about 6 more to go in a few minutes.
I worked on my Water spring/tank at Otis's house and finally got it running a bit. DRY, DRY, DRY here. I am going to cut a small patch of hay I a hour or two after I finish rolling hay.
Rain coming?? I doubt it but good with me.
Dean sent a photo of FIL Goat herd and a 7 bottom plow on the little bitty tractor.

Sky Ecoregion Fence Working animal Grass

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

We have our priorities Straight here in Kentucky. Well. Louvil, not really Kentucky.

Sam, the tractor driver girl is Jasper's momma willing to help but Green.
I rather do it by myself than try to explain it.

Have a safe day and I will try to do the same.
See less See more
Arrived and setting up camp now...rolled in about 3:00. It's a hot and windy one right now.
@ShaneG. It sounds like it's a normal day. Sneak over cross the Creek, they's a lot more on Injunz land.
Reactions: 1
1 - 18 of 18 Posts