Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
41° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, the high for temperature for today will only be getting up to about 55°. It is wet out there we got rain all day yesterday and last night. It will be mostly cloudy today with some clearing as the day goes on.

Well my fears were mostly for naught about the gun club meeting last night. The gentleman made their proposal for the stone quarry on our property and we had a discussion about it after they left. When the time for a vote on the proposal came it was a unanimous vote to turn the proposal down, not one member voted yes on it. I am quite relieved and happy about the outcome, I made the case against it and I stayed calm. By the reactions of members even though I am not President they look to me as the leader. Today I slept in for an extra hour and am just going to take life easy.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Mornin George and the gang...
Phone says its 40 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
rain most of the day yesterday but nothing really hard.
may take off tomorrow, the boy I've been hunting with wants
to go hunting. I see how my knees are but may go.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Great morning folks,

As light is just breaking, we show 37° with a high of only 48° later here near HalfwayUSA. Rain is crossing in to the state from the west so it will be nasty much of the day.

Well the log splitter is parked for now. The pile of good ash & old junk wood is stacked. I expect after the trip to Arkansas, I will go to my buddy's place & get three more loads and that should fill the wood shed to the top again.

I cut the grass a notch lower & that should last until we get back as well. I trimmed some brush along the back. I really detest Russian Olive & spent hours and hours battling it on the property we had up north. On this place there are three along the back line & I keep that stuff in check when it needs it.

Last details on the trailer are handled & it is ready to roll. I will probably take it to my aunt & uncle's Friday night and get it parked where it can be loaded conveniently.

Today I have to go to my old hunting partner's place. For what ever reason, his bank is refusing to honor check I signed. That despite me having a signature card & power of attorney document on file with them. I have been signing checks since 2011. In the past 30 days, 4 checks randomly have been rejected costing $25 each time.

On another note, his health has stabilized & he has resumed most of his activities when the weather is nicer. I am down to visiting once a week.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 34, cloudy and 61 for the high. Not supposed to rain. We had a good long soaker yesterday. I forgot about going to Mankato yesterday,, all plans on hold and ran over there. Stopped by Sheels, no 22 ammo, no primers, only 1 powder can. Some kind of AA bench rest powder for 65.00. It was supposed to be the cats meow for small rifle cases. I passed as all I have is .222.
Got home and was exhausted. I was able to look at scopes and rifles and make some swaps to get an adjustable objective on the rifle that needs it. Better than buying new right now.
Nothing specific planned today.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Morning all it's 38* here and a high of 60* today, with some clouds and sunshine. I've been looking for a used pickup and wow, now is not the time. Hope you all have a good one today, better get moving.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 35 going to 60 with light frost this morning. Today is mow grass or bale hay tomorrow!!!! Same old otherwise around the ranch here. Like Ken, I need to get a better scope on the HMR rifle the old weaver scope just not right on that rifle. Be safe and healthy Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
morning all. 28 here with 60s again and probably wind too.
Worked on a couple sprinklers and got them started in the morning, yesterday. Got another serviced and started in the afternoon. Makes 9 up and running, hope the boss man shut them off last night, or we'll have ice problems this morning.
Got three more new calves yesterday in the bunch I watch.
Have a good day, prayers for the ones with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
12,418 Posts
Good morning folks. S.H.I.T. Tom! It's a chilly 45 here for May, only warming to low 60's today. Cold and rainy forecast ruined my plans for fishing this weekend. My bud and I decided since it's going to rain off and on all weekend and blow when it's not raining, we should both get our chores done so we can go fishing when the weather is right. So...not sure what Sue and I will do. She has today and tomorrow off, I have to work today and am off tomorrow. May turkey hunt Sat. morn. See if my cousin wants to to and take his little girl.

My daughter and SIL had a home inspection by their insurance company the other week. They moved in last year and with COVID, nobody ever came to look at the place. Well now they show up and decide they are not going to cover them with homeowner's insurance because the back deck is literally falling off. They wanted to replace it in a year or two...looks like they'll be doing it sooner, and paying triple the cost or more due to lumber prices. I may suggest they look at TREX decking, if it's similarly priced to treated wood. We may end up running down there Sat. and demolishing the old deck and starting to rebuild.

Snake River Marksman showed up about 11 yesterday. We tried to diagnose the fail to feed issue with the Bear Creek Arsenal upper. Changed buffers, added weight to it, took weight out, clipped springs, checked the gas port, etc. No such luck. As some here have suggested, it's gotta be a gas issue. (I'm not used to having gas issues. 🤣) I will be calling BCA and probably send it back to them, let them figure it out! They are supposed to have a top notch warranty.

Well, since I didn't get anything done yesterday, I better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
On our first get up and walk at 4:30 it was 30 degrees and everything was white with frost. It is now 8:00AM and it is 34 degrees aNd the sun is melting off the heavy frost. I’m afraid the frost did in the apple blossoms that had been looking good. I have a feeling there’ll be no apples this year on our trees.
With BR bolt action rifles we never have a gas problem Charlie, well, not with the rifles. Saturday I will be shooting an air rifle match. Now there it’s all about gas if you consider air as a gas. The rifles aren’t cheap but there is no primer or powder price or pellet availability issues. The next Saturday we start the 2021 bench rest season at Harrison. I loaded 100 rounds yesterday for that and hope to do a title testing and fire forming early next week. Paul used to say he doesn’t like shooting but it’s the only way he has to get ammo to load and he loves to load. With today’s prices I haven’t heard him say that.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 52º and hazy here headed for the upper 70's. They are calling for light rain today but the heavy stuff is forecast for Sunday.

Yesterday me and my running buddy looked around at both of the Duck Clubs that we take care of. As soon as the Bayou goes down we will be draining ponds and planting food plots. We ended up in Little Rock at the Lost Forty Brewery.

It looks like today will be event free. I fell last night going to the bathroom and my foot is sore and swollen today. I probably need to stay off of it. It was more of a controlled crash than a fall but I ended up with a foot jammed against the door stop with me on top of it. My weak leg gave out under me just as I crossed the threshold where the hardwood flooring meets the bathroom tile. Oh well................

JR and Greyfox, I would be honored to have a beer with either of you. If you ever end up in Arkansas please give me a call.

George, I'm glad your gun club worked out like you wanted. I know you were concerned about it. Mining companies have proven that they can't be trusted.

Prayers offered for our members having health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's a chilly 48 in Louisville, going to 66. Chance of thunderstorms somewhere between dinner and sundown.

Starting around 3:30 this morning I thought I was gonna freeze to death. Miss Cindy has to have a box fan running next to the bed, for the white noise. When the temps are right outside, I move the fan into a window, pulling air in. At some point last night the temp got down into the mid-40s. We like to sleep cool, but Cindy has already put lighter covers on the bed and I think some of them are for a full-size bed instead of a queen. When I finally got up, my teeth were chattering like I had the flu. Sheesh!

George, I'm glad the gun club decision went the way you wanted. Looking back over my life, many of the things I dreaded and worried about most never came to pass, or something changed so they weren't nearly as bad as I feared.

It's the Thursday before BBB and normally I'd be real excited to see my friends. I always drive down on Friday, get to Jackie's range around 1 or 2, fire a few rounds to check my rifles, then sit around talking to other early arrivers until time for the traditional visit to the Chinese buffet. I'll be thinking of you folks this weekend.

A big item in the news this morning is how many of the biggest vaccination sites are shutting down because no one is coming. I have an idea that I think the Biden administration will understand and should try:

Everyone have a great day, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends and nation.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Morning all, 45 heading to 62 today, another cool day here in KY. Doc appointment went well, vascular doc checked my leg pulses, foot also, asked why the other doc had sent me to get my circulation tested. I told him it was because my right foot leg, would be swollen and red one second, cold and white the next. He listened to my pulse in my foot and leg, said I was in great shape, circulation wise, and this was common for folks that had had severe strokes. I told him I explained that to her twice but she would not listen. Anyway, good news. Was really looking forward to seeing everyone, hopefully this summer some time. Carl P, JR and I are talking about getting together one day, shoot a bunch of old time lead slingers, eat some good Mexican food, and show Carl a good fishing hole or two for future reference. A Lead Casters get together of sorts. You all have a good one today, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
George, I’m glad to see the trustees saw the mining operation proposal for what it is, a land grab, and voted the way they did. Many fail to see a gun club for what it is, a club with activities not always related to guns but to people gathering for camaraderie. Way to go trustees.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
In tended to check in earlier today, but life got in the way. We started the morning at 44º and should move into the upper 60's this afternoon. It's a fine sunny spring day in Middle TN. I've been putting packages together and catching chipmunks this morning. They are serious pests. There dig into my wife's flower pots and make a mess and drive my two westies crazy, so they have to go. In the past I've shot several, but I prefer to catch them in a live trap and move them down the road a 1/2 mile or so. As of late last year I don't any have returned, but we have a whole new batch this year. The little ones are pretty dumb and easy to trap with peanut butter and fritos. Once the grass dies up a bit I need to trim some of it. I have a road trip tomorrow afternoon and Saturday, then Sunday we have a brunch with my son and one of my daughters, so not much will get done them. Rain is moving back in so it's now or a hay field.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Rick, chipmunks are a real pest and a varmint worthy of eradicating. Years ago I had an in-ground pool with an automatic pool cover (read as electrically run). One year, the little buggers ate all the ropes that ran the cover, resulting in an $1800 bill to repair. The war was on. I got eleven of them with my Sheridan Blue Streak, and then went with the trap with peanut butter, grapes or over-ripe strawberries. If caught, they were then taught to swim, in a garbage can full of water, a fitting end for eating my pool cover.

If you shot one, within a couples of days another occupied that hole, just like a hotel.

Good luck with your crusade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts