Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
58° under overcast skies here in Upstate NY this wet morning, the high temperature for today will be up to about 73°. We are to have showers today and possibly some heavier rain today with possible thunderstorms.

Yesterday was a half way decent day with rain showers starting up in the afternoon, but I didn't get to go fishing. We didn't really get any heavy rain though just wet in the later afternoon and evening. I didn't do to much of anything yesterday, basically I just took it easy. I sent out some renewal cards for the gun club but that is coming to an end now. Today I have to be on the road for a time but I hope it won't be that long.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 63 now going to upper seventies, most likely the coolest day for a while. Two tenths of rain all day yesterday, we need more. Hope too get more done in the garden between storms. Maybe fire a few rounds may help my attitude. Glad the fellows had a target rich environment out west, and making it home safely. Be safe Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 63, cloudy with rain just north of town. We might get some. High of 88 and cloudy.
Yesterday was day 2 of moving, that job is finished, and I can barely move.
The old curmudgeon shooting group meets today as Monday was a holiday. I need to decide what I want to shoot.
Tired this morning, coffee pot seems slow.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Fog and 54° with the sky getting brighter from our early sunrise here near HalfwayUSA.

Busy day yesterday with the Wyoming grandkids. Bikes were rode and yard games were played. About noon we all went to Uncle Mike's where he was laying beach sand around his pond. The two boys, ages 6 & 4 took to shovels quickly & spread out piles of sand. Once the sand was spread, swimming & splashing were the tasks at hand.

Later in the day we had the June Birthday party. Our extend family has 8 birthdays this month so we had a big get together her at the Halfway House. We never quite get the song quite right but everyone laughs. Once too much sugar get consumed, toys are properly spread all over the house.

I am heading to old hunting partner's place this morning a little early. I pick him up in Grayling then we go across to the north west to Traverse City for a throat stretching procedure. Never know quite how long that appointment will take as it is a complete cattle drive with this doctor. The "slot" for this appointment is from 11:30am to 4:30pm. Show up 30 minutes early (11am) check in and wait to be called. Then off to McDonald's for a strawberry shake and back to Grayling. Should be about 7 hours windshield time for me today.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
Mornin boys...
Probably around 60 with rain here high on
RUGER MT this morning. Just hope to make it through
1 more day then a long weekend...gotta love 4 10s...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good Morning from the 🌞 E side of the Chesapeake Bay. A nice 69 ° this AM . Headed to central VA today to my home area outskirts of Richmond VA , Hanover county . My new smith is heading out to do some pdoging and I have some extra Vmaxs to give him as well as a switchbarrel XP1
IMG_20200915_204935821.jpg
00. Looks like some well needed rain coming in last week we got 2.75 inches but need more . Y'all guys have a great weekend see y'all first of the week.
JW

·
Administrator
12,535 Posts
Good morning varmints! It's 65 and cloudy here too, between a few rain events, it seems. Everything's wet, but I don't think we got much last night. Storms later today may be strong, however. Glad I got my mowing done last night. Having issues with the mower though. I think a valve is sticking or something. Just not running right. Then, after a little puff of smoke it fires off and runs fine??? Anyway, that chore is done for a week or so, which is good, because I have a busy weekend coming up. I also got some lilac bushes trimmed in front of the house. They were getting out of hand, hanging down and blocking windows, etc. Looks much better now.

Well, busy day at work, an afternoon meeting in the field, then the gun shop. Better get rolling. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Good morning everyone. Back to work I go today. The wife must have got used to making just enough coffee for her the short time I was gone.:confused: I'm waiting on it to finish up then I'm off. The suburban made it to the house and should make it back to the shop just fine.....it went about 750 miles all jacked up I figure another 10 ain't gonna kill it! It sure was stressful driving home knowing it was that bad. At least it was just free wheeling and not driving. Camper might get unloaded today depending on what is awaiting me when I get to the shop. I'll have to stay on it all week because we fly out to Nevada next Wednesday. The only thing I have ever flown in was a helicopter when I was a little turd so not sure how I'm gonna like a plane. Should be fine though.....can't be as bad as 750 miles at 70mph on a junk front axle.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 64 in Louisville, going to 72. Thunderboomers all around us, but nothing happening here right now. Looks like TAJ and CarlP might get some action.

Shane, I'm glad you nursed your rig home. As soon as you said "front axle," I was pretty sure it was the CV joint. You have the skills and the equipment to make replacing 'em an easy job if you're in the shop, but when the boot ruptures and the grease leaks out hundreds of miles from home, that can be a challenge. Unfortunately some mechanics just lick their chops when an out-of-towner brings in something like that, right? Thanks for the photos you sent from the field. Sure makes me want to try it again sometime. I have probably 2k rounds of .223 and .204R just sitting there, ready to go.

Shane, if I were you, I'd ask my wife to check out the airline and TSA websites to make sure what you can and cannot pack in your checked luggage and in your carry-on. Beyond that, write yourself a BIG note and stick it to your bathroom mirror now. The note should say: LEAVE POCKETKNIFE AT HOME! That's the blip that's almost gotten me a time or two. You have to run like hell to make it all the way back to your vehicle so you don't have to forever lose your favorite pocketknife.

Doubt that I'll get into much besides work-work today. We'll see.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends and our nation.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Nothing new here today. I mean no thing.
Fisherman, you don’t have to run all the way back to your car; there are lockers at most airports where you can store contraband while you’re gone. I know these things.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
6/8º with cllouds in the hollow this morning. Returned home from the pd wars last night a little after 8 and the dogs & wife were happy to see me. After unloading a few items and a long shower my wife removed the stitches from my damaged leg and it seems to be healing nicely. I'll have an impressive scar. Today I'll unload some of the stuff from the trip and fill a few orders that came in while I was away. Then it will be prepping for the match at Dry Branch on Saturday. Always plenty to do around here.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I'm going to just take the keys to the house and the car keys unless we get someone to drop us off and pick us up. My wife and daughter flew to Europe 4 or 5 years ago so they both got schooled fast on what they could take and couldn't.
I was dreading the thought of having to find a place out in BFE to replace that axle shaft if needed. I discovered the source of the racket in a gas station in the middle of nowhere right next to a GM dealer....I bet that would have been pricey!
When the Bi plane broke down and landed in the hay field next to the house 8 or so years ago because of a backed out rocker arm adjuster I found a tap in my buddies tool box to fix the rocker arm and get him back up and running so they could fly it back home. I was just happy to get to check out a 1920's something plane and didn't charge them anything. They ended up sending me $200 later on. Hopefully doing things like that get me a pass here and there!

Mike that ammo won't go bad as I was shooting stuff I took to Montana the first time. Never hurts to have extra!

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Yessir, sitting right off I 71 on Zorn Ave and just now started to sprinkle. We had .8" of liquid sunshine through yday morning. Maybe a tenth more till this morning. Need and appreciated. I don't think a nice slow half inch more would make anyone frown up my way, Jackson County - known for watermelons, kinda like Vidalia for onions.

Yessir, I too would like to make a doggin trip. There is a bunch of IMI brass just awaiting stuffing and or forming, 20 Prac, Tac or 223AI. A zero shooting 6br from CarlP that is soooo sweet, just phenomenal w a zero LR shooter like me driving.....for the longer shots.

I'd like to do N Nevada as well for ground squirrels. However, 3 full days of windshield, one way is something to consider.

Finished up RED Storm Rising over the weekend. I had read that in the 90s. I had forgotten quite a bit of it so still enjoyable. Working on the Sackett brothers w Louis L'Amour since. He subtley tosses enough history in to make it extra good.
Well, the rain has picked up since I started this. Grow, grow, grow green stuff. My maters have one runt out of seven. Maybe a late bloomer?
Gotta continue my battle w Verizon. Veterans' discount. The DD214 is no longer acceptable. They asked a bunch of multiple choice questions, including The AF Creed, phrases etc...stuff we only saw in Basic - 50+ yrs ago. They had my TAC sqdrn as a bomber group, fighter, Homestead AFB not an available choice.....and on n on. Then, when submitted, they didn't like my phone number of 7 years or my name. :/ Second CS level said prob w the system.... Will stop back by on the way home.
We have come sooo far. Yessir, instead of 40$ a month, well over a hundred but can play Bridge, Pinochle, solitaire and all the YouTube one can stand.....
Guys...? Make the choice to have a good day. Donnie, 4 tens were my fav. Tom out

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Good morning. It's 64 in Indy with a t'storm. Should warm up a little but it looks like the rain will hang around most of the day. Loaded a batch of 9mm with 124 gr coated lead bullets over 4.1 gr of WSF and small pistol magnum primers yesterday. That's right at the minimum load and good enough for plinking ammo, I think. Use what ya' got. I do need to load a couple hundred .204s but I'm fixed for .223, .17FB, and .17 HMR. Thankfully, I have a good supply of powder, 32 VMax bullets, and primed cases.

Nothing else on the agenda until Mex tonight. Looks like there may be a crowd. The ammo Julie didn't burn at GunSite should be there with one of the attendees. She only shot about half the 1K rds they sold her but, at their price, I wish she could've bought more.

Keep your powder dry and have a good day.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Morning all, 67 headed to 75, rain and T Storms on tap today. The wife has a doc appt this afternoon late, at Somerset, then we may go eat at the Chineese/Mongolian grill where a lot of you all have ate in the past. Left the house yesterday at 9am and got back at 6:30pm, a long day for me and about 300 miles roundtrip. Went to several gunshops that had all new stuff, and no bargain, did see a lot of ammo with no limits on how many you can buy at Centerfire systems. I bought a new Burris 6x20x50 with BDC's for $212 out the door. At Antique and Modern, they had 3 huge private selections they had bought, with a ton of older Win and Marlin lever actions, with great bores. They had a slew of 92 lever actions, that had been reblued, but were in great shape mechanically, great bores, and they were priced $600-700, pretty good deal for a shooter in 32/20, 25/20, and .32 Long. I bought a 1894 Win in .32 Special, with a 26" barrel and mag tube, with pretty decent blue left on the barrel, patina on the rest, with a bright shiny bore, slick action that was very tight. Gun had been carried a lot, shot very little. The tang is tapped from the factory for Tang sights, and I found a pair to fit it this morning. I have everything needed to load for it. When I checked the #'s, it was made in 1899, which was quite surprising for me to find one that old, with the barrel in that great of a shape. Has shooter written all over it. I also bought a Savage 340 bolt action 30/30. It needs the stock refinished, as it has the finish crazing pretty bad, but the blue is good and the bore is pristine, for $225 out the door.Those 3 purchases exhausted my mad money for a while. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
late morning all. Was 35 again this morning, should hit mid 70s today, still a chance of moisture, got a few drops last night.
Worked on the plow yesterday then sprinklers, got one to work on as soon as I get off here.
Gwyn took our niece to the big city last evening, her hubby has been in the hospital for over a month now with covid, just seems to get worse, don't think he'll ever come out of it. Sad, this is her third hubby, and she is only 34. First one was a druggy and is in prison, second one got sick working here on the farm and died in a couple days and now this one isn't going to make it home either. Very hard on her and the three boys. Prayers needed there!
I better get to work, have a good day. Prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
899 Posts
45TAJ....I read all the Louis L’Amour books in the 60”s and now I have all of them on CD’s. They are grea for driving those long trips. Most of them are 5-6 hours long. Sure makes thosw long trips go easier.
Spent the day yesterday doing some reloading. I had been doing fine for last month without the oxygen , but last couple of days been a little woozy. Go load for about 30-45 minutes and then back in house on oxygen for about 15 minutes. Bummer.
Have to go to eye Dr this afternoon. May try to go to domino parlor afterwards and spend some lazy time with other old farts.
Prayers for our Country Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Bruce, we used to take the books on CDs of the Robert Parker's "Spenser for Hire" mystery novels for long trips. They were narrated by the same guy, Joe Mantegna, who did a great job on them. Now, almost no cars have CD players anymore.

P.S., hope you get a good report for the eye doctor. I know for a fact that my infusion meds do affect my vision a little, and I know I am about ready to do cataract surgery, but I am waiting until the meds are done and my eyes stabilize until I do that.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
When the Bi plane broke down and landed in the hay field next to the house 8 or so years ago because of a backed out rocker arm adjuster I found a tap in my buddies tool box to fix the rocker arm and get him back up and running so they could fly it back home. I was just happy to get to check out a 1920's something plane and didn't charge them anything. They ended up sending me $200 later on. Hopefully doing things like that get me a pass here and there!
I think I've heard that story before, and it's a gem, Shane. Whether paying it forward like that ever comes back around, I'm not sure, but I tend to think so.

KF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts