Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Thursday Morning 9/15/22

1K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  45TAJ 
#1 ·
52° here in Upstate NY this morning under partly cloudy skies, the high temperature for today will be getting up to about 65°. It will be a mostly sunny day with a breeze of about 6 to 9mph.

Yesterday I was on the road in the morning for just a few and then in the afternoon we went over to see my FIL and attend the 125th anniversary of the Veterans home local to us. It was a nice ceremony, but I think my FIL slept thru most of it. He is 97 after all. Today I am hoping and planning on doing nothing but plans can always change unfortunately.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#4 ·
Good morning from Waseca, it's 62, clear and 82 later. Wind is picking up as another front is moving in tomorrow for a rainy weekend. Yesterday I wrote and worked on guns. There's a scope issue with the Anschutz that needs attention and higher rings. I am no fan of the 50 mm objective as it puts the scope too high for the stock. The Anschutz stock is a standing, kneeling stock. It is not made for prone. I have to find a way too add 2 inches of length or move the scope forward 2 inches.
Today is more of the same, with, I hope, some range time.
Hope everyone has a blessed Thursday,
Ken

#5 ·
Great morning Boardlings,

Mostly clear with 54° late we will have a high in the mid 70's here near HalfwayUSA. Really nice day yesterday but I can see Fall is on the way.

Everything got checked off the task list yesterday.

Today's task list is to visit old hunting partner & catch up on his chores after 2 weeks. Sounds like he needs a new kitchen stove so it may mean a trip an hour further north to go shopping.

I will be heading out a little earlier than usual as I hear there are a band of gypsies headed this way. ;)

#6 ·
Good morning from NC Ohio 60 going to 80 another beautiful day in September. Sighted in the 22 rifles yesterday, as Kermit says good to smell smoke from Wolf target ammo. Still shooting the 2 bricks I got from Mike Murphy. Today's the ARA match I will destroy any idea of a good shooter, may even embarrass myself, having the best of times is what it's about. Be safe Prayers for all of us and country. Mike

#7 ·
morning all. 43 with mid 70s today, was cool all day yesterday with a couple showers.
Serviced up my baler yesterday morning and went to bale. Got one field done and moved to the next in time to
get rained out. After lunch baled another field that the rain missed but it rain there just when we finished. Then about 4:00 we started a
field of oat hay, finally got it done about 9:00 last night. Was a long day, but today probably will be the same. Things went well, and hay was
cut also, so I guess we're making progress.
Better get, prayers for those with health issues and others. Have a good day and be safe.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#8 ·
Good morning from the Battlefield. It's 62 here headed to 80's later. Obviously, the sun is shining. Wish I would have gotten a pic 5 min before, the sun was 2x the size and almost red. Very cool. Y'all west of me keep an eye out for it.

Plant Sky Wheel Tree Natural landscape

Yesterday after work I rode down to Maryland to get a permission slip signed. Their archery season came in last Friday. I still need to buy my license. While there, I hung a tree stand. I'm getting old (and fat), it's getting harder to use my climber every time. Plus, I can slip in there quickly and quietly now, without spooking anything, at least that's the plan. Should be a good spot, once I trim a few branches. I'll take the pole trimmer next time and get that done, maybe one evening next week.

Well, I better get going. No time to waste here this morning, have to run out in the field to check on a job. Seems they didn't put a gas line in where we permitted it, now I have to change a permit. Never ends. Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

#9 ·
Morning Everyone!

Its 58º and clear here headed for the mid 80's.

Yesterdays big event was taking the Wife to a Doctor's appointment. Afterwards we grabbed a burger on the way home and then I tinkered in the loading room some while She and the Cat napped!

Not sure what todays plan is yet. The housekeeper will be here shortly so I'll hide out someplace!

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

#10 ·
Good morning everyone from the shores of the Chesapeake.My weather app is just showing a high of today is 81 and sunny.
Not much planned yet anyway for today the Mrs has not awaken.
Yesterday we managed to meet up with another couple old friends for lunch. First time since I've been back from Florida that I've had any red meat. We went to a new restaurant to us anyway in Lively VA . U blink your eye and you'll miss it .Had a Sailor sandwich on rye .
Came home and started cleaning up my workshop yep Mr Bruce I'll still be no competition. I do have a path to the tool boxes now.
Not sure what is going on but I had another allergic reaction to something . I felt it coming on chest tighten up a little, hives and itched. Got some Benadryl in me at the beginning so it only lasted maybe a hour or so.
That's about it folks everyone have a great day stay safe and comfortable enjoy your day.
HHH

#11 ·
Morning all, 60 headed to 82 for the high. Been a rough week. My uncle died yesterday, this morning my friend for 30 years passed away. They are both no longer in pain and suffering. Thanks for all the prayers for both of these fellers. Tried posting yesterday, to no avail. Got my winter garden laid by, fertilized, hoed and waiting on some stuff to come up before covering in a low tunnel. Need to do some bushogging today, and put up a deer blind. Got to get going, you all have a good one, Buff out.

#12 ·
Was mid 50s at sunrise and currently to around 60 in the hollow. Yesterday was a little strange as I barely finished the urgent stuff and the day was over. Never got around to the important. A club member that lives closer to the range checked out the gate and believes that it is a battery issue. We should know about that today or tomorrow. Whatever the case, they did need to be changed. I plan to spray for mosquitos shortly, they don't bother me but they drive my wife insane. Then I need to make a visit to a local church for a visitation. 44 YO daughter of one of my lunch mates died of cancer. He is understandably pretty broken up about it.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

#13 ·
Good morning everyone...it was about 55° when I got up but now it's up to about 70° here at the shop. I left a little early yesterday and went to pick up my half beef and got it tucked away in the freezer. Then drug out the air rifle and Todd and I went to the dairy and shot a few birds. There were a few pigeons and lots of starlings. It's just not cold enough for the real good shooting yet but will be soon enough.
Damn dog must have ate another sock or something this morning or last night as it came back up on the floor right after she came back in. I didn't check to see if it was a sock but since the last 2 times it was were going with that....either way it was pretty nasty looking!
Sorry to hear about your uncle and friend Sam.

Hope everyone has a good day.

#15 ·
Well I didn’t make it to OKC today for chemo. I thought I had a cold about Sunday, but nothing else. Well wifey made me get tested yesterday, guess what…. + for Covid … so no chemo today. Wife had suspected the Covid, so she made sure we weren’t around anybody this week.
Koger…. Sorry for your loss, but they aren’t in pain anymore
Ken…. If you can still shoot prone, you’re too young to fit in here 😵‍💫
Son and little redhead leaving tomorrow after school for New Mexico elk camp near Chama. She hasn’t missed a year. Went to her first camp when she was 1.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, Ukraine and all Y’all.

#16 ·
So Happy It's Thursday. It seems we get our wheels under us and then they start to slide. Super nice weather yday but on the warm side. Helped neighbor pick 2 melon loads. First load had the seeded, green stripes. Those were some heavy muthas. Right hip is barki g at me this AM.
Dinah had a follow up scope of esophagus yday 40 miles NE. All is good, nearly 100% recovered from the acid reflux damage. They biopsied 2 places for due diligence, all clear.
Bizzy, bizzy. Sat is a church New Members "This is who we are" type meeting. Had 28 years at my church in SC but after 6.5 years here, l saw no real growth in depth of preaching therefore spiritual growth in the congregation. Sunday school was excellent.

A couple wks later will be a Sat trip to The Ark across the river in KY. Maybe a 3 day trip to Hazard area to help in the flood clean-up in between. Signed up but not yet called w info and type of work. Taking off drywall (mold), mucking out, orrrrr?
Ken?? Adding 2" to a stock is a bunch. I had a 308 Win for High Power back in the day that had been cut down for his wife. I just ruffed out a pc of pine, made some vertical and cross cuts w the hand saw and called it good. 100% function and ZERO form/appearance. It was uglier than a mud fence. I doubt you would put up w that on your Annie. No reason to. :)
I hope you can recover your $$ Rick. I have only had a credit card hit 2x over the years.
Well, time to start helping Dinah on the bushel of maters for the canned pantry. We'll put a Grisham book on and let the good times roll.
Thursday - Bruce, are you "on" today? Hope the day goes well for you. Say "Hi" to Katie, Josie n Justin for us. Even Carl the next time he ambles through. ;)
PS. Haven't had a pc of meat yet to rival what we had at the Lodge. When you can cut it w a plastic spoon.......DOUBLE YUM. Tom out

#17 ·
I helped Jan split Amaryllis bulbs this morn. The big momma (not Jan) had five children in the pot with her. So now if they all hatch, we’ll be overrun with Amaryllis this winter when everything outside is knee deep in white. I turned one garden over and added compost and today or tomorrow I’ll plant about 150 garlic cloves For garlic next year.
We speak of problems with USPS. Well, this is what came yesterday from a fellow in Paducah who wants us to build a couple ring dies. Do you suppose they issue hammers and pliers to postal worker?
Wood Gesture Font Flooring Hardwood

Wood Rectangle Beige Flooring Hardwood

Drinkware Product Wood Bottle Table

#18 ·
Noontime greetings from Troy Ohio....lunch and break time on I-75.
Usual problems on I 75 but big SNAFU is always on US 23 in Michigan.
Nice lunch at Skyline Chilli and ready to get goin.
@45TAJ is going to the Kentucky Ark, voted the #1 biggest rip off attraction in Kentucky. But some folks enjoy it and the Left Wingers probably skewed the poll.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Circle

Just be Warned what the Admission is... Plus Taxes...Plus $10 parking.
And Noah ain't there anymore. See, like George said...Honest Opinions.
Francisco, That's TERRIBLE...looks like caught in the Conveyor to me. Plus Poor packaging. Use bigger boxes!
Looking forward to seeing the Skruskes and getting JB and DD drunk at the Festival party.
We may take advantage of them???
Sam, I hear what you said about the 2 sick friends and I'm glad their suffering is over
Carry On>>>>>>

#19 ·
Looks like it got caught in a conveyor. They've upped ins to 100 on those boxes w last price increase.

Reactions: JRinKY
#20 ·
Yes they did TAJ but sender has to initiate insurance claim. The sender in this case isn’t willing to do that Saying it isn’t worth it. I say you have to inflate the cost to where it is worth it.

JR: Why not take 75 to I-275 north of Monroe and take that to 96/696 and then west to US 23 and avoid Ann Arbor?

#24 ·
Deal of the day…..
Probably 100+ ….. 41 mag brass
8 … 7-08 brass
10 ….. 30-06 brass
18 …. 44 mag brass
35 …. 22 Hornet
AND 2….. 357 mag
Enough assorted 223 brass to start your own private war
The kicker in the deal is it’s free but you have to take it all. Will stuff into flat rate box. If you’re satisfied with the deal, send me postage.
If not, just keep it anyway.

#26 ·
Yeah JR, ll have never had a big desire to see that Ark. I've also heard that some of whatever is displayed or commented on isn't exactly true to Scripture.....
However, as new members, we thought it could be a way to meet a few folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.