Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Thursday Morning

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Greyfox 
#1 ·
64° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies. It rained some late yesterday afternoon and overnight but we definitely need more. The high temperature today will be up to about 81°. I had a rather large limb come down in the back of the house last evening that I will have to cut up this morning. We have a chance of some more rain today and tonight but it isn't that big a chance.

I got Up Home yesterday morning and fished for a few hours. I managed to catch three small mouth bass, nothing big but I did have a lot of fun. In the afternoon I did some chores around the house here. Today I will see what comes along to do, I should get up to the gun club and put shelves up in the new shed but I don't know if I will.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

#3 ·
Morning all. 70 here in NC Ohio going to mid 80's no rain yet. The rain is dropping in the garden now and for next hour. Back to work when its done. I need to make a trip to the Amish to get some fall plants. Not much happening around here, did get the grass / weeds mowed yesterday, been a while since the last mowing. Well better giter done! Be safe and healthy. Prayers to all and country. Mike

#4 ·
G’morning all. 72 to start the day and not supposed to reach 80 in Indy. Radar indicates a good chance of rain off and on. Nothing of note scheduled for today which means anything could happen. Most of the could-happens are pretty unlikely, though. However, I will start the day at the pancake joint. Have no fear.
Heading that way. Have a good day.

#5 ·
Good Thursday morning to ya. It's 67 here but don't let that fool ya, it's going to the upper 90's later...a good day to work inside. I think this is the last of the 90's for awhile. Cooler, wetter weather on the way for the next week or so. I'm very lucky this morning. Lucky I didn't burn my well pump up and/or kill my fish. I left the hose on in the fish pond all night. Pond is overflowing, fish are hiding. Probably don't like all that softened water. At least it wasn't chlorinated city water. Can't believe I did that. Guess I'm getting old. 🙄 Need to set a timer to remind me next time. I mowed the yard last night, first time this month. I can't believe it. I hacked and sneezed the whole time. Man is it dry.

Well, I have to get a few things done while Sue is in the shower, then head in town to pick up her car that got inspected. Needed rear breaks from what I heard. She's paying the bill on that one.😀 Gotta run. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

#6 ·
morning all. 50 here with 80 later and wind today, not much chance of rain, none yesterday but could get some thru the weekend.
Boss man didn't want to rake hay, other around here raked and baled some too. But he wanted to wait another day or two...I think he messed up on that call!
Worked on my service truck more yesterday, same for today unless something else comes up.
Breakfast is waiting so better get to it. Have a great and safe day.
GOD BLESS. Dean

#7 ·
It was 59 degrees in this part of Michigan’s Thumb as Red T. Basset and I stalked Wiley Mr. Wabbit at 6:30. One lightning quick burst of speed by Red T. Basset from around the corner of the barn/shed dispatched won wabbit before he knew it. Mother’s flowers are safe for the meantime. But, I know there are more wabbits out there. I might have to make a correction about the speed attained by Red T. Basset If I’m questioned about his speed.

#8 ·
Mid 70's with some clouds and rain in the forecast for today. If the rain doesn't show up early I may get some of the grass cut, if not it can wait til tomorrow. Made a trip to Dry Branch Rifle Range yesterday to check on some maintenance we're having done. We have a drainage cut in front of the rifle shed that got filled with top soil before the grass grew. This created a soft swampy area that has now been cleaned out. We're expecting that the next few rains will wash the rock that was initially placed there and clean things up. We also added a road from 300 to 400 and right now we're adding small stone to the pistol bays to fill in on top of the large stone that made a good base but was hard to walk on. As we continue to take in funds from new members we put it back into the property. It's not as fast as we would like, but we are moving forward. We had planned to add a keypad gat, but the $30,000 price tag was a little much for something that was basically cosmetic. $$ are better spent on gravel and concrete.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

#17 ·
Rick,
We used magnetic key card for entry. Biggest issue is keeping up with the renewals and turning the cards back on when the members renew. I do not know who wrote the program or modified it, it is not user friendly. The put in a lot of information that should be in a separate data base.

#15 ·
It does include A/C to the gate with cameras as well. Also includes wifi so the gate can be opened with a cell phone. The gate itself is about $10,000. Perefirals incude about 100' of fence, cameras, etc. We will give the bidder an opportunity todo something at a reduced cost, but I'm not optimistic. It's not that difficult to get in through the fence further up the road, which was why I said it's mainly cosmetic. It will only keep out honest folk. We may choose to build a much less pricey option with a solar setup.

#10 ·
Good morning, GoGo. It's 78 in Louisville, only going to 79. Rain due here within the hour and continung off and on all day, heavy at times. Some parts of the area could get 2 inches, supposedly.

I haven't been sleeping worth squat and last night was the same. I'm not sure what's got me out of kilter, but I sure hope it fixes itself soon.

I forgot to post a Hump Day photo yesterday, so I'll make up for that today. Makes me want to visit my local indoor range.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there.

#11 ·
Morning Gents! Its 77º here and cloudy headed for the low 90's. They are still forecasting a chance of storms.

I spent most of yesterday on the road. Right after I got off of here we headed to the far Eastern side of the state after tractor parts. As soon as I got home I left with the Wife to see the Grandkids and deliver cookies. That was on the Western side of the State. I ended up seeing most of the center part of the State, from the East boundary to the West.

Not sure what today holds. If the rain holds off I plan to finish mowing at my Son's place. If not, I'll tinker in the loading room.

Prayers offered for those in need.

You'll have a good one.

#12 · (Edited)
Ye gads Rick - 30k? I would not have guessed that!
Francis, I'm not a dog breed, AKC knowledgable person but I just don't associate "flash" w those Bassetts. But whaaddaiknow?
Neighbor needed some help loading out his melon flatbed - at 0700. 400 later, back home. Not a dry stitch on me. 1-4" forecast over the next 3 days. Ft Wayne area is in a mild drought. Not good for the cuzzins' bottom line or anyone elses up there. Maybe some of this tropical stuff will push up and help them and MPC out.
Laptop came home y'day 20 bux cheaper than first quoted. Said his memory failed him.... Still awaiting the Census trng follow upp so I can get on w the next 9 hrs. Hurry up and wait some more.
Shipped out a rf bbl. When I tried to measure the tw, never could get it to repeat. Maybe patch wasnt tight enough or gain twist? Its gone and I'm happy. Still need a stock for the 10-22 bull all massaged up.
Youngest Grand had his first K5 day yday. Loves riding the bus. 1st day in middle school for the daughter. Time marches on.
Doug's pancakes should have been duly flanked and assaulted by now. Nothing but wimpering morsels left trying to hide in the syrup....
Oh Mikey, yer killin me! Tom out

#13 · (Edited)
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky where it is cloudy and weather guesser are swearing its going to Rain. Grass is growing for the cows but I sure need to cut a couple fields ASAP.

The Cat is away so the Mouse Played last night. ( (JB is up close to Kyfisman) Coyotes killed or found the little calf night before last. I returned the favor last night.
Kentucky has made Nighttime coyote hunting with a RIFLE legal starting Dec.1. Since it is December 2 right now...

I had set up in the shadows of a row of hay rolls...moon was bright and the Coyote saw Something? In there but didnt figure me out. Turned sideways finally, and the VMax made that Whump. 130 yds. and I had a hard time finding the body. Hard to estimate distance with NV.

FB, I just talked to that Quilting woman and she was impressed that you help. I think Dean does also. Maybe Skruske? Naaa. Not him.

Be safe today and watch out for the big SHARKS at the beach.

#14 ·
Good morning everyone. Finally at the shop after having 6 tubes of blood hijacked form my arm. Yearly check to make the Ins. company happy I guess. They are going to do some kind of allergy test on the blood as well to see what I'm allergic too I guess.

Got some mowing done yesterday and fixed the dang AC in my Blazer, the connector that hooks to the control unit got hot and melted so I had to cut that out and wire it direct. I would like to get the AC fixed in my 97 Dodge Ram but will wait until I do the cab/body swap and just replace most of the system. I had a compressor chew itself up and I think trash clogged up some stuff. Lines get cold but no cold air.
Should finish up one trailer today if the rain don't stop us then 2 more get dropped off next week for work.

Good job on whacking a yote JR! Good to hear KY will let you hunt coyote at night with a rifle soon...definately gives you more of an advantage! I haven't swapped my NV scope back on yet which I need to do.

Hope everyone has a good day!

#19 ·
Morning all, barely, wife is in Ohio at the daughters for a few days, I am batching it. Got up, fed the cows and chickens, went thru the garden, ate a late breakfast, and just now getting on the puter. Got out my 6.5 Grendel and some handloads, after I glass bedded it and bedded the rear pillar. I was more than pleased with the results, the factory ammo shot a 3 shot group that was roughly 1/2", and my load with 85 Sierra HPs went into a nice 5 shot group of .375, outside to outside. The 120 Sierra SP's went into .385 group outside, to outside. My first 2 handloads and I am done with load development, using the same bullets i have hunted with in my 6.5swede for 36+years, I like the green box stuff more all the time. I cant shoot any bette than that, with anything. The set trigger had to help things, breaking at 10 oz. More shooting to follow today, you all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, buff out.

#20 ·
koger...what kind of 6.5 grendel do you have? I have a couple, one AR nd a Ruger American Ranch bolt. Haven't done a lot of load development work yet, been busy working with 260 and 6.5 STW. I would be interested in what you have.....Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.