Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
64° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies, the high temperature for today they say will be up around 78° with a 20% chance of a shower or thunderstorm. The next two days are to be nice with a good chance of rain on Sunday.

Yesterday was a mixed bag for me, I was on the road part of the day and I worked on computers here at home also. This morning I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon to see about having a cist on my face removed. It has been growing over the past couple of years and is starting to get sore now. I am not sure what I will do the rest of the day.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Good morning from Kearney Missouri, currently it's 54 and cloudy with rain all day. Rader shows rain diminishing in Minnesota.
I am visiting friends again this morning then heading back home, the last 375 miles of this trip. I have been averaging 500 miles per day and I am exhausted, must be getting old.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
69 balmy degrees here this morning and they say we will be back near 90 again later this afternoon. Changing oil, mowing grass, and tidying up an electrical box kept me busy yesterday evening. Seems like no matter how much I do, the chore list gets longer. Some fence work and tree cutting will be happening soon but I think they can wait until it cools off a little. My wife and I are both off work today and tomorrow so plans for today could change on a moments’ notice.
Make it a good day.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Great morning folks,

Cool 52° with damp ground & cloud cover here near Halfway USA. Rain stayed to the north as the big frontal boundary drifted about 80 miles northward. The southern end is pulling moisture from the Gulfo de Mejico.

Wood got delivered & stacked on the porch of my old hunting partner. It was a good visit and he is doing well at 86 years old. I got to hear a refreshed version of the same stories I've heard for decades. (y)

I'm heading just a little ways north to fill the truck & trailer with firewood. Enough to keep me busy through the weekend splitting & stacking.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Mornin boys...
Upper 60s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Got a shower yesterday evening. Sure wish it had
come when we was cutting trees...lol
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Good Morning from NC Ohio. 63 ging to 83 with fog this morn, Not much is getting done till some temp and lots of humid air falls, then this old fart may get going. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Good morning all. Up a few minutes early looking for the Space Station. It’s too cloudy so now I’m sitting in the lot at the pancake joint waiting for them to open. Golfed poorly yesterday. Taking today off which means there’s no telling what I may get into. Whatever it is, here we go.
Have a good day.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 72 and foggy here. We had a few showers over night, barely enough to make the deck wet the way it looks. Headed for 81 it says, with rain and storms later. Looks like this slow moving front skruske speaks of is going to hit over the weekend. No fishing for me. Ah well...I need to load the boat for Hatteras, check the tires and bearings, etc. Always something to do on a boat. I also need to deliver a dresser to my daughter's house so they can get it painted for Lillie's room. I'm sure I'll find something to do. MD archery comes in Sat. I need to practice a bit before I hit the woods. I also need to dig out my stuff and maybe wash my hunting clothes. I don't intend to go this weekend. Too hot and buggy. Maybe next weekend. The likelihood of me getting something goes way up right before we leave for vacation. More to mess with.

Well, I guess I better get to making donuts. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

PS - Gabriel, how's it going out there?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
morning all. 30 here with possible mid 40s and rain/snow thru tomorrow, then it's going to warm back up and dry out next week.
Didn't do much yesterday, got one of the loaders and pushed the snow off my road and cleared around the mail box where the county grader blocked it off!
Probably work on draining more of the sprinklers today as it's going to be to wet to bale for several days still.
Should have spent yesterday at the reloading bench but I didn't, maybe some time today.
Have a great day, prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

Just looked out side, it's snowing again, really wet!!!!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Good morning, GoGo, and TGIF for Mikey! Yep, I'm off tomorrow, so today is my Friday. It's 67 degrees, going to 89 with plenty of humidity.

I'll be sacking and packing today for the two-day UBR Nationals at the Boyle County Fish & Game Club just a bit southeast of Lexington. It's only an hour and a half from Louisville, which makes things much easier. Greyfox will be there and probably Prof. John Beauchamp, for those of you who know him. Jackie Stogsdill, owner of Buck Creek Range, is good at the UBR game and he might be there as well. My best chance of finishing well depends on 2-3 of the top shooters having total equipment failures. :sneaky:

I was checking ammo yesterday and got a bit of a shock. One box of what I thought was loaded 6BR turned out to be about 60% 6PPC. I'm sure glad I discovered that yesterday and not at the firing line on the second day of the upcoming shoot. I'm finding that as I get older double-checking isn't always enough, sometimes you should triple-check.

Y'all have a great day and be safe out there.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Good morning from AC606 Kentucky Hills. I had a visit to Rural King store yesterday, I looked around for an hour and never did see Doug Robert's. Maybe he had moved on to another store.
I met an Internet Friend of 10 years there for the first time. He is a Ghost and has a problem with face to face. Said it was like going to the Dentist. He was supposed to bring me a Watermelon he grows but he brought me 10. I have already gave 4 away.

I also bought 20 salt blocks which with the melons, made a load on the little Jap trucklet.
Jackson and his little kid girl unloaded them for me. She's strong as a dambull.

Skruske is hopefully getting all that wood processed before next week when we will be visiting.
One time we were there, I heard a noise outside...looked out and he was Busting Wood in the Dark before daylight. Wild man for sure.

Today I am going to see another living legend...Sam Koger...and we will shoot some guns. Just down the road a piece but never been to his house. May have to skin a deer or dig in the garden.
Better get rolling, i have 6 hungry kittens at the barn.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Morning Gents! Its 72º here headed for the upper 80's and cloudy.

Yesterday the Wife and I took my Mother for a ride, just to get out. We drove to a nearby town where we used to live and went by her rent house, drove by her old house, went by the cemetery to see my Dad and Grandparents graves, by another cemetery to see my Wife's folks graves and finally ended up at a restaurant that we had been hearing about. That town sure has changed a lot since we moved away. It was pretty prosperous when we lived there. 2 paper mills, 2 railroads, lots of industry thats left for other places. Population down from 70K to less than 50K, boarded up stores and business's, once nice neighborhoods are now the "hood"! It was sad seeing how far it has fallen.

Not much planned for today. I need to unload a load of wood thats in my truck and hook up my gooseneck and tractor for a trip back to deer camp. Thats enough to wear me out so that may be the extent to my day.

Its sad watching those fires that are out West. I'm reading that some of them were set and the rumor is BLM may be involved. I even hear that they have caught a few of them. If this is true I hope they are punished severely. I hope none of our members are in danger.

Prayers offered for those in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Good morning men another beautiful day in southern ky
uall have a great day 😊

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Morning all, headed to 90 again today. Cant wait for JR to get down here, we can sling some lead today, from 38/55 to 50/70. I stopped by the scrap yard, bought a big piece of I Beam, about 16x22" for a clanger target for us to shoot at about 130yds. Painted it black with a orange rust spot about 3" in the middle.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
JR, Contact Tom T. Hall. He has a recipe for watermelon wine.
Fisherman, the secret to success is no secret. Get your stuff together and don’t worry about who is or isn’t there. You are number one. Now, repeat after me “I must send a check to F.B.for that good advice”.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Sunny & warm in the hollow this morning. Didn't check the temp when I got up at 5:30, but my guess is around 64º. As KF said, I'm packing and sacking for the UBR Nationals and expect to pull out from the hollow around 11:00 this morning. It's a three hour drive and my co-pilot and I would like to get some wind flags set this afternoon. Getting a few late orders out and then I'll pack up.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
lightman, I saw that one of the big recent fires was started by pyrotechnics started by a gender reveal party. Those folks ought to be made to pay for the damage caused by their stupidity.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Good afternoon all....didn't post this morning so I'm not sure what the temp was...it's about 75° now and pretty humid. It's not as bad as it was the last 2 days though. Went back to the dairy yesterday after work and shot a few more pigeons. After the first 2 trip my damn shoulder and elbow was wiped out from cocking that damn springer air rifle. My friend Todd and his buddy was there for a while yesterday and counted 378 that they collected. Some got scraped into the manure tube and out to the lagoon they went before getting counted. I bet there has been close to 1000 knocked out in the last few days. I'm thinking of going back soon at night with my red led lights I use for coyotes and see how they act after dark. Todd got a direct hit on the head yesterday from a kamikaze pigeon...guess it hung up above him and whack from about 25ft up. I'd like to catch some out where I could hit them with the Vartarg and see how they hold up after a 32g vmax!
Might do some mowing tonight and I also need to get back on my organizing of my reloading bench that looks like looters ransacked it but left more than they took.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
That’s as good as prairie dog shooting. Don’t kill them all; you have to save a few for breeding stock.
They really Blow Up when hit with a VMax. I shot some on Colorado when the PD shooting slowed down. I don't have any in my barns here in Kentucky, but Other Birds blow up pretty good whe a .22 BR sends a VMax into a chest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts