Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
23° here in Upstate NY under clear starry skies, the high temperature today will get up to about 45°. It is to be a nice sunny day with mild winds. The next few days it is to warm up some and some rain moving in on Sunday and Monday.

Yesterday was a cold bitter day with the wind and I was on the road part of the day. The rest of the day I spent pretty much making some appointments and doing some paperwork to get caught up. Today I had originally hoped to get out hunting with Rusty but something has fouled up those plans, I know he and I will be definitely going tomorrow no matter what.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
39° here this morning and it looks like our weather is improving too George. We are supposed to see 60° again for the next few days with rain this weekend. Repairs have started on the Brent Spence bridge and they say they will be complete by December 23rd. It hasn’t affected me as much as I thought but i Hear stories every day of people who are stuck in traffic for over an hour , for what used to be a 20-minute drive.
Gotta run. Make it a good day.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 43 and cloudy, might be 54 this afternoon. Yesterday was warm but really windy. I spent the day trying to overcome writers block, only partially successful. More of the same today. Saturday was a gunshow, it's canceled. Probably won't be any all winter.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 40 going to 60 with high winds, up to 60mph gusts. To much for me, I don't like wind makes it hard to breathe with COPD. Need to get some chores done before the wind wakes up. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 33* and a sunny 60 today. This should be my last battle with the leaves, the last few days with the wind took them off the trees. I went to the dermatologist yesterday and I look like I stuck my head in a yellow jackets nest, oh well getting old ain't for sissies. You all have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 30 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Been awake for a while need'in the net. Went back to work yesterday
and going in today. Hunted.yesterday evening and seen some but nothing close.
Only 1 4 or 5 pt about 1000 yards. Probably take next week off and hope
the boys do too. We can hunt bear next week so may go to the Mt. and see.if
I can see 1. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Good morning folks. It's a nipply 27 with frost here. We don't get much frost up here on the hill. Should be a good day to be hunting. Not here, nothing's moved. I kinda figured, so I'm not in a tree. Sitting at the desk instead, need to get some things done so I can take a half day tomorrow. Pretty much given up on the deer, archery goes out tomorrow anyway. I will switch to bear which comes in Saturday. Our Gov passed an indoor and outdoor mask mandate now. I think it's time to let this crap run its course. Is 2020 over yet?

Well, I better get moving. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 40 here with a high to 54. Was into the lower 60s yesterday, set a new record. Was breezy too but the dirt didn't blow so it wasn't bad.
Boss man didn't go to get the rest of the cows yesterday, will today if our trucks got back from Texas last night.
Worked around the shop a bit yesterday, also put salt out for the cows and helped a paid hunter get a good look at a nice buck. He didn't want his guide to help him so the guide ask me to keep a eye on him! Maybe he'll get a buck today.
Not much else going on, slept in a bit, Gwyn is off today and tomorrow... burning up time off before the end of the year.
Better get going, have a great day and be safe. Happy hunting to all that are. Prayers for our country and those in need.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. At 8 a.m. in Louisville it's 46 degrees, going to 64 with a high wind warning. Supposed to have 15-25 steady wind, with gusts to 35-40.

I'll be busy all day with work-work. Got a deadline to get a project out today. Hope the lady who helps me on this has done her part this week, otherwise I'm screwed. She's usually dependable.

Got my little doe all processed yesterday and made a pot of venison stew with some chunked up roast last night. Sure was good.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Good frosty morning at 37° from the Masked Up, Locked Down, school cancelled, sports cancelled, bars and restaurants closed state of Kentucky. Our Rat Gubenor has done it again and I don't have a problem w it actually. A LOT of folks do have a problem with it.
Gub is trying to keep up with Gretchen Hitler in Michigan. Poor old Skruske is locked down in the UP and Gretchen won't let him cross the Mackinac Bridge.
Yesterday, I had to venture out for an Emergency....out of Cat Food for my Barn Cat Herd. As I said, I went by the Auction lot. They had some sort of new fangled motorcycle there that didn't have any wheels. Maybe some you Yankees esplain it to me.

And a nice old Willie's Jeep truck

FB has the Thanksgiving gathering program solved....declare it a Turkey Funeral. Good One.

I'm not sure what the agenda is today, I need to get something out of the Freezer and cook it.
Locked Down and Boarded up in Ky.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Sister Mary Francis here to educate JR. That is a snow mobile; we hang them over the baby crib and spin them around because that’s what you do with a mobile. Skruske may not be able to get south of the bridge as the Yoopers say. In high wind the bridge sways and cars can fly contradicting conventional wisdom. Those Yoopers also call us southerners “trolls” because we live under the bridge. Some years back there was a move afoot for the Upper Peninsula to secede from Michigan and start a new state, Superior. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t another movement to secede from Governess Witless. I’m just afraid I’m too far south to join in with the more sensible.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
As I said, I went by the Auction lot. They had some sort of new fangled motorcycle there that didn't have any wheels. Maybe some you Yankees esplain it to me.

View attachment 25628
Wonder how long those rubber treads and fiberglass front skis will last on Kentucky blacktop, JR? You know damn well anyone who buys this in Kentucky will use it to go to McDonald's. Ha!

KF

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good morning everyone....nice a windy here this morning but it is a little warmer. Got home last night and made a few T-bones then hit the garage and loaded a few 6.5CM to test out with some 130g SMK's and RL23. Hopefully I don't deprime any brass like I did in my 260ai recently.
I have a laptop in the garage and will listen to stuff on Youtube or whatever while reloading. I came across this young guy a while back and don't remember where or how but he has some good tunes on Youtube. Guess he has been around awhile but I never heard of him until recently. Has a real distinctive voice for sure.
Probably going to drag another tile boot in the shop to modify to fit a different machine, also one log trailer got picked up and another dropped off that need a couple new spring hangers. I have a little bit of plasma cutting to do on the burn table as well. Looks like left over 50/50 burgers today. We cooked 4lbs of meat yesterday on the George Foreman here at the shop...2lbs spicy sausage and 2lbs of Deer burger.
Ol Birdog reviving some good Pdog Safari threads has me wanting to drag out the varmint rifles and load up...guess I'll have to settle for my steel groundhog and coyotes for a while. Deer hunting is over as I have no room for more. Not sure if my buddy is needing more meat or not yet.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Morning all, 50 headed to 64 today. Got to move some furniture today, put out some hay for the cows. Need to sweep the shop some, load up some more .219 Wasp ammo, and shoot something. You all have a good one, remember out country in prayers.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
S.H.I.T. day it is.....So Happy It's Thursday. Might get back to the woods and trim on the trails a bit w the brush blade on the weed eater. That is the handiest gizzie ever. NO bending over w 14# of saw trying to cut flat at ground level. A round stone on the Dremel keeps the three blades sharp, sharp, sharp! Not for bent neck units.

Been a while but still raising some dust when I kick.
We have had the 6yo Grandson for 6 wks or so. Health issues at home so he has been w us. His home school went to an alternating schedule, home/E learning and school attendance. For a K level, that is absurd. It takes lots of repetition, Aides, repetition, stability and planned approach to set the foundational principles needed to progress.
We enrolled him in our county system...... Definitely a different ball game for Grams n Gramps. Back to a schedule, trying to position my thinking to that of a 6yo.... It takes a special person to teach the beginning grades, a very special, talented person. Nightly work on sight words, reading, math keeps us occupied. That little mind is a huge, thirsty sponge.

The wind has really been prevalent for two weeks. And has been stated today, lots of it here now w more to come. At least it is warming up.

I hated missing the Tack Driver but couldn't leave Dinah carrying the load for 5 or 6 days. Really neat hoody though.
That Match will grow even moreso in popularity, mark my words. Get'cher reservations in when he opens them up for '21.
All y'all - Make It a Good day.
Play the hand we are dealt. :) :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
S.H.I.T. day it is.....So Happy It's Thursday. Might get back to the woods and trim on the trails a bit w the brush blade on the weed eater. That is the handiest gizzie ever. NO bending over w 14# of saw trying to cut flat at ground level. A round stone on the Dremel keeps the three blades sharp, sharp, sharp! Not for bent neck units.

Been a while but still raising some dust when I kick.
We have had the 6yo Grandson for 6 wks or so. Health issues at home so he has been w us. His home school went to an alternating schedule, home/E learning and school attendance. For a K level, that is absurd. It takes lots of repetition, Aides, repetition, stability and planned approach to set the foundational principles needed to progress.
We enrolled him in our county system...... Definitely a different ball game for Grams n Gramps. Back to a schedule, trying to position my thinking to that of a 6yo.... It takes a special person to teach the beginning grades, a very special, talented person. Nightly work on sight words, reading, math keeps us occupied. That little mind is a huge, thirsty sponge.

The wind has really been prevalent for two weeks. And has been stated today, lots of it here now w more to come. At least it is warming up.

I hated missing the Tack Driver but couldn't leave Dinah carrying the load for 5 or 6 days. Really neat hoody though.
That Match will grow even moreso in popularity, mark my words.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Well I went to the of the driveway with the RTZ to retrieve the trash can and here come a buck with nose to the ground straight at me. He was across the road looking at me a 8 pointer with 18 - 20 inch spread!! Don't give up Charlie the rut is on the way. Mike

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Clear skies this morning after a couple of nasty windy days. Nothing exciting today but need to check building projects

there are about 10 loads of 3” rock under these houses as they are built on expanding clay.

my thoughts on Covid

·
Registered
560 Posts
a good morning to all of you from up here on the Frozen prairie of the Red River Valley of the North. 29 degrees now and working toward 40.
Deer Camp is over, all the hunters are gone. The season was dfferent this year. Lots of heavy wind so they didn’t move much. We tried drives to move them but they were laying in the tallgrass and you had to almost step on thembefore they moved. Two deer (does) were killed right in the bed. We got 7 deer and only one buck, and he was only a basket rack. First time hunter, a 12 year old Nieghbor girl shot it on the first morning. Judging by her trophy smile it proved that it was a huge trophy. The rut was in full swing and the big bucks were here and moving, but only at night. They showed up on the trail cams at all hrs during the night. Next year they might be bigger.
2days before season a pair of poachers were caught. The wardens checked their residence and they had 22 deer hanging in it. They are both juveniles and there names haven’t come out yet. But those kids are in a shit load of trouble.
This weekend will be sausage making weekend and a bunch of the hunters will be together again. To quote Voldoc, best of friends and best of times.
I hope you all have a good day, stay safe, stay healthy. Gods Blessing to all of you.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Late as usual. 30º at sunrise in the hollow, but should make the low 60's this afternoon with sunny skies. Very nice November weather. Spent a good part of yesterday collecting $$ from a customer who resells and I only charge her account about once per month. It's funny how you do a bunch of seemingly insignificant things and you look up to find the day is gone and the sun is going down. I've already put together a large order for today. Will be going to lunch with my aging HS buds. I need to find some time to finish making 22 PPC short brass, maybe later this afternoon. TAJ, I've already mailed my registration and deposit for the 2021 Tack Driver. There will only be 100 slots available and I'm betting the majority of this year's participants will reup, so there won't be many left. When Jim opens it up you'd better pull the trigger quick. I wonder if JR is serious about Scott being detained at the bridge?

G'day Y'all,
Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts