Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies this morning and it is a little windy out. The high temperature for today will be up to about 29°, cloudy all day with winds of about 24 mph.

Well I got my and the gun club property taxes paid yesterday, got Rusty another bag of dog food and other that than that took life easy. I am feeling better each day but I still don't feel great. This morning is the first morning in a week or so I decided to have some coffee. It doesn't taste that great but I am getting back to my normal self.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 21 and partially cloudy, high of 28. Freezing fog today. I managed to get the trigger on Bubba fixed yesterday and discovered that it's chamber is 308, not 7.5 Swiss as I thought. 3 hours were on the phone with a fellow tool collector in Texas.
Not sure what to get into today. More coffee should help. George, you must be really sickly when coffee doesn't taste good. Keep getting better, you are needed here.
Hope everyone else has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Mornin boys...
Looks like 27 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Nother day at the grind.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 27* here. Got gun shop duty today, I hadn't worked at the shop in two months, looking forward to it. I got the Ruger M77/22 Hornet yesterday, I'm happy with it, my Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 is on it's way back from Leupold, that will be a good one to top it off. George glad to see you are feeling better, keep our members dealing with health issues in your prayers, you guy's are special. Got to feed the critters, have a good and safe day in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Another 36° overcast day. Busy morning here at work already but wanted to take a minute to wish a Happy Birthday to Coyote George. Hope it turns out to be a good one for you.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
morning all. 2 above this morning, mid 30s or better again today, was another nice day yesterday.
Hope George gets a coyote for his birthday!
Worked in the shop on my service truck all morning yesterday, didn't do squat in the afternoon, was tired of leaning over the front of the pickup!
Should have gone and tried to call a yote but didn't.
Worked on the rifle stock some along with sorting more brass and running another load thru the tumbler. More of that this evening also. Thanks for the tip on the stock Sam, found a jar to break last night and will try that this evening. Hard to find a glass jar these days and Gwyn wouldn't let me whack one of her canning jars!
Better keep moving, have a great day and be safe. Prayers for those in need and our country!!!
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Great morning folks,

ALERT! I am about to report a rare occurrence! It is 27° and THE SKY IS CLEAR here near HalfwayUSA. Our winters are generally pretty grey unless it gets really cold.

Good news, the stair case is done and Debra Dearest approves. The "legs" on either side of the treads took a little precise fitting and a few trips back & forth to the mitre saw.

What with a the fun & games going on in Washington D.C. (D.C. stands for Democrat Controlled) Deb & I decided to finish stocking shelves at the Halfway House. We cleaned out the Walmarts nearby of ALL the Hot Pockets and microwave burritos. When the hoarding mobs from the big city find our out of the way home, they will be met with frozen bricks of "food" that make great projectiles when shot out of a potato gun!

The big truck is plugged in and warming for it's trip to my old hunting partner's place this morning. It's a grocery delivery & I suppose I can do some chores around his house while I'm there. He wants to see if he is able to drive so we'll take a ride off to the east toward the woods rather than into town. I go along as a copilot & if he doesn't feel up to the task he will say so. I can take over driving - no judgement from me, just the way it is.

·
Administrator
12,052 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 32 here with partly cloudy skies. Same old, same old. May get to 40 today, probably not. Wood stove still chugging along. I didn't get my wood brought in last night. I decided to run some errands after work. Got a picture printed out of my buddy and mom's deer, framed it and dropped it off for him. I titled it "Twins, the deer not the hunters" after they doubled up. He really liked it and still can't believe she shot one right after he did. That's hard to do. Sue made enchiladas last night that rival any Messican joint out there. I ate way too much. Time to get off the carbs again for awhile. I'm getting fat and sassy...

Well I better get busy. Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

PS- Happy Birthday Big G! Wish you the best! Due to Covid, I couldn't get you the real thing this year.

PPS - Mikey, I posted another pic over on the HUMP DAY post for ya last night....

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 34 same old same old weather. HBD Coyote George want to see a pic of a good'n later. Need tto run, be safe huge Prayers to all and esp. this country. Mike

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Good morning from the sticks sticks of Kentucky where it's about 32° without any frost today.
JB has a Doctor visit today to get prescriptions recharged and who knows where she will wind up after that. Chinese Virus is at its highest rate Ever in this county. Funeral houses are busy.... buzzards with a smile on their faces.
She took me to the nearest Rally's and bought me a Rallyburger yesterday. we ate in the car as usual and it was a Big deal for me.
I should have an 8# jug of powder delivered today, I doubt if I live long enough to shoot all of it but someone will.

Here are some of the Biden voters celebrating their big win yesterday.

I hope Coyote George has a better day today and he kills that Coyote behind his house.
Y'all be safe today and maybe better stay out of DC for a while. I am positive I will never be back there again.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 33 in Louisville, going to 41, maybe. Pretty typical Kentucky winter weather. Wouldn't bother me at all for it to stay this mild.

Most of you who posted before me today failed to mention the events in DC or did so only briefly. Skruske did say he topped off his stash of Hot Pockets. It would be very easy to let the topic consume us here, and that probably wouldn't be good. I will say that I appreciate being able to kick around the topic with like-minded, level-headed friends. Lots of alpha dogs in this group, but I think we'd make one heck of a survival group if we lived close. We've got hunters, cooks, gunsmiths, reloaders, welders, ex-LEOs, and MacGyvers who can troubleshoot and fix anything. We'd make a very capable survival community, I think.

The gear I ordered to fix my meat slicer fits and meshes with the motor's worm gear just fine, but the output/drive part of the gear is just slightly larger than the original. That means the toothed drive belt is now a smidge small and doesn't want to fit. I'll try to stretch it. We'll see.

Y'all have a good'n and let's double up on prayers for our nation.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Morning Gents! Its 37º here with clouds and rain. The rain moved in late last night and looks like it will be here all day. The temps won't change very much.

Yesterday we went to the Doctor's place to check the water and run the Geese off. We pretty much spent the morning there. My buddy decided that he needs a griddle so we spent the afternoon running around Little Rock looking. We stopped at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Academy Sports, Bass Pro, Ace Hardware and probably some I'm forgetting. We also stopped at a couple of gun shops. He did score one box of 9MM;s for $19. I waited in the truck mostly but I did get out and walked around all of the parking lot entrances. I picked up about a quart cup of wheelweights! Doing my part to save the Condors you know!

I'm not sure what todays plan is, I just need to stay under the radar. Probably hide out in the loading room! The housekeeper just arrived and the Wife will be in the kitchen all day. My youngest Son is hosting a bunch of Doctors to a three day Duck hunt and the Wife is cooking for them tonight. She is making Chicken and Dumplings with Baked Beans and homemade yeast rolls. She makes everything from scratch. Sometime in the late afternoon we'll load everything up and haul it over to them. Hosting a few hunts pretty much pays his clubs expensives for the year. The boys got it going on!

Scott, that stair case looks great. You should be proud of it.

My hunting buddy thats on the ventilator is not doing so good. His Wife was finally allowed in to see him. I pretty worried about him.

Prayers offered for those fighting the Covid, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I can’t be bothered worrying about things I can’t control and that includes Washington. It’s tough being in the minority all the time. I have a quilt that is consuming my time. Jan thinks she’s the boss but she isn’t. The quilt reigns supreme. A couple of my buds are coming over Saturday and weather permitting, we’ll make some noise at the shooting benches. We’ll shoot some .30BR and I think I’ll swap out a 6PPC barrel for a .220Russian. The weatherman, or women, thinks we’ll be good to go.
Some years ago a Canadian sociologist proposed the addition of ne to the dictionary. There would be no he or she. Everything would be gender neutral. We’d be saying ne went to the store ney went to the store. How about nis and ner towels? This wasn’t well received and so we still look up the skirt and in the pants to determine the proper common pronoun to use. And now, off the soapbox.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Mid 30's with clouds and light winds in the hollow this morning. Temps should make the low 40's today' Like Michigan, Middle TN is mostly gray in the winter months and sunshine is a real treat. I spend as much as two hours reading current news and political doings every morning, so I think I have a fair idea of what is probably going on. My sense of things is that both the Georgia senate race and the presidential election were stolen. I tend to think that history will prove that to be the case, but it will come too late for the coming months and maybe years. I think it was probably Antifa who started the violence in the capitol and that may or may not be proven. I didn't pay much attention to this kind of thing for most of my life and now I'm too old to do much of anything even if I had an idea of what it should be. Right now I'm just sad.

On the bright side, I discovered yesterday that rifles do shoot better when the barrel is tight. My last trip to the range was a disaster until I discovered that the barrel was nearly a quarter turn loose. Yesterday, even with gusting and shifting wind I quickly saw that the 22PPC-.100 is a shooter. Looks like the main event today will be a trip to the Hearth & Grill shop as my wife wants gas logs for our fireplace. We will check things out.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Good morning everybody....Not too cold out this morning at about 36° here at the shop. Looks like I'll be doing some organizing today and vehicle work. Wifes car needs oil change and my blazer needs a new blower motor and resistor in it as Only hi speed works now and it is getting noisy. It may be going to Nevada with my son since his Jeep decided to fall apart all of a sudden. He is off work today sick and at the doctors office waiting to get in with a sore throat and sinus problems...I'm sure a covid test is going to be done.
My $1000 Suburban is going to cost a little more as it has an oil leak at the back of the engine I am trying to figure out. I just put a new oil pan gasket on it and it is dry inside the bell housing it seems. May end up puling the pan again to see whats going on....sure hope its not the rear main and have to pull the transmission.

Got the log trailer all done yesterday and welded a few other parts that got dropped off late so I done those last night before going home.

Went to the hog barns last night and drove back the 1/4 mile lane lights out at idle speed. When I got to the compost I fired up the NV scope and seen what I thought was a herd of deer at first out in the field. A few seconds later I got a better view and there was about 5-6 coyotes out in the waterway 300+ yards. I hit my mouth call real quick and they had no interest at all.....probably already got full belly's. I'll got back and try for an ambush!

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Happy Birthday Coyote George, can't top the gift Charlie gave you, the gift that keeps on giving!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Late morning check in all, 35 headed to 40 or so they say. Like you guys, I am saddened by what is going on in our country. I believe the election was stolen, and the Georgia one also. Part of me wants to grab a gun, and march, if I could on Washington, and overthrow the current corrupt government. Part of me wants to take the high, legal road. One thing I do know, and none of the media is reporting, is that several of the people involved in the breaking in and rioting, were in fact, the same ones who were active in the Antifa/BLM. It is all over Facebook and other social media. Close up shots in the capital, of their faces is easy to see, and not photo shopped. KF you might apply a little heat with a hair dryer to that belt and get it to stretch just enough. Happy Birthday George, hope it is a good one. You all have a good one, Buff out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well i'm up and going this morning. Off to pharmacy (60 miles ) to pick up prescriptions and then 1/2 way back to get our Covid vaccination. Had decided earlier to not take it, but oncologist highly recommended it since i'll be starting the chemo and radiation. He said my immune system was going to be compromised (LOL...you think so). So wifey and I will be the guinea pigs for you all. I will post on here if we grow a tail or start glowing.
I ordered a set of 9mm dies for my lyman 310 set-up yesterday. Looks like I will be staying in Oklahoma City, Monday thru Fridays for 6 weeks. Will have to gave something to do or will go stir crazy. I've never loaded 9 mm before, but do have bullets (500), primers and powder (HS-6,,,I think it'll work ok). I did have a stash (probably 7-800) of 9mm brass that I got in a trade about 25 years ago and stuck in a coffee can (tumbled them yesterday). I should be good to go.
I think friend of ours is going to set up his 5th-wheel camper in OKC for us to stay in. It will save us a 6 hour drive every day, It's a blessing to have friends that will do things like that.
Prayers for our Country and all Y'all

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Little bit late to say good morning so good day all. It's 35 in Indy heading for 40. Some of the golf nuts tried to talk me into playing today but they were way late to that debate. I'd already decided to do a lot of nothing........maybe twice. So far the morning has been dedicated to phone calls and text messages about my bud Kenny. He passed around midnight last night at age 87. I met Kenny when I was working with one of his sons several years ago. When his wife passed 7 years ago, Julie and I sorta' adopted him. Had breakfast with him every morning except when I had an early tee time right up to the point where he went to the hospital with the chivirus. He beat the virus but the associated pneumonia and other complications got him. He was refusing treatment the last few days. I visited him at the hospital Monday and Julie visited him at the hospice facility Tuesday evening. He told her he was ready to go be with his wife. She was a Burdine from Somerset , by the way.

Bruce, I'd be loading 9mm if I had any small pistol primers. I've been convinced I can use small rifle primers but I'm hanging onto those. Julie is going to Gunsite in May and they tell her she'll need 1K rds of ammo for a 5 day course. They also say they'll have it and she can buy it there for $300 per thousand. She's already paid for it. Hope they have it.

George's birthday? Happy B'day big G! Let's celebrate it Saturday. Like the 2nd Saturday in May.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Bruce, good luck with the stay in OKC and treatments.

9mm is really simple to reload, just make sure you use the right OAL for the bullet you are using and the 9mm chamber headspaces at the case mouth. If your pistol likes a particular round, maybe start with that OAL and see if it feeds okay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts