Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15° here in Upstate NY this morning with a little light snow falling under overcast skies. The high for the day today is to get up to about 27° with light snow and up to 1" of accumulation. Tonight we will get more with up to 2" forecast.

Yesterday wasn't a bad day I was on the road some and at home some. A customer came and picked up his two computers and paid me, my daughter and youngest granddaughter came to the house for awhile. Today I have to make some appointments and other than that the day should be mine to do what I want.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 15* going to 20* with maybe 1 - 2 inches of snow, better than the last two we've had. I did make it to the greenhouse and watered things well. With 20 inches of snow North wind my home is out of space for snow piles !!! Soon be time to fill bird feeders, yesterday a Bald Eagle stopped atop a apple tree, guess he didn't like the menu. It will be back to starling education today. Be safe and healthy Prayers to those, ones in storms way and country. Mike

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys..
Phone says its 32 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
We've got about a inch of slush, sounds like it's raining but the ground
is white. May call the foreman and see what the roads are like. Could just stay home and rest today. Ain't took time to eat dinner last 2 days at work, just been
busy and not really hungry. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

Looks like temps are going up so we going to
be rain...what a mess...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it looks like Deep Freeze '21 is over. 7 above now, going to double that this afternoon.
Yesterday, what a ride. I got a lot of research and pictures taken, then learned Rush was gone, then went to the coffee shop and had a great time. When I left I realized I was missing a hearing aid. That darned mask had finally pulled one out and I didn't feel it. Can I sue the governor for a new one?
Today is old curmudgeon shooting. I have replaced the trigger and spring in my CZ, it feels great and should make a big difference in my scores. Tonight is music practice for Sunday morning. Long day.
I hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mornin' folks. Didn't look at the temp but figure its in the teens. Light snow already coating things up, weather guesser's calling for 4-8" or more between now and midnight on Friday. Long duration, slow accumulating storm. I'd rather get it and get it over with. Basic shop day on tap today with the occasional swipe with the plow to keep things open as needed. Did a little impromptu pizza party for my Mom's birthday yesterday; it put a smile on her face in these odd times.
One more day closer to spring and warmer weather; I'm ready for it for sure. Winter seems to get longer every year as I age.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin from the slushy Mountain State, it's 31*, and a rain sleet is falling. The weather guessers say we may get a foot of snow, who knows. I got gun shop duty today, we'll see what new goodies we got in. You all be safe out there today, stay warm.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Its 23 in Western KY going to 28 w/about 2 more inches of light and fluffy over night.
No trash service today for the 2nd week in a row. Just another fun day reading about what the Washington GESTAPO has come up w/overnight. Y'all have a goodun. LDS

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning folks,

Temperatures are already rising to 8° with an expected high near 25° later here near HaflwayUSA. Despite starting out at -12° yesterday morning, Debra Dearest said the thermometer topped out at 29°.

The trip to old hunting partner's place wasn't terrible & roads were mostly clear but there were several sections of packed/iced roads. I got lucky & found a place on the way that had diesel for $2.19 when most of the rest of the state is above $2.65 already.

I got a call from him at 9:30pm that his furnace had quit working. He was in a bit of panic so I had to talk him down. I had brought in extra firewood & the woodstove was doing it's job. BUT he still wanted his furnace fixed right away. Debra Dearest was right on it and got two phone numbers of HVAC companies in his town who had 24hr service. I will call back this morning to make sure he is doing fine.

Chores to catch up on around here for today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Twenty Six this morning in So Central KY.....
A couple more inches of snow over nite. Mabee more on the way for today.
Could dip down to single digits by friday morning.
A tropical heat wave expected next week, by mid-week, lows in the 40's / high's in the mid-fifty's.

From today thru the weekend, maybe some good yote shootin' ;)

///

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
morning all. 12 above with a little new snow this morning, thought the storm was gone but moved in about dark with a flurry. High twenties for today again.
Well we have started calving, got one new calf yesterday morning, didn't hear of any more last evening but probably will find some on my farm check this morning.
Worked some in the shop yesterday but spent more time checking the cows and that's the way it will be for several weeks now.
All you with cold and snow, there is hope! While I was our around the farm yesterday morning I saw a p-dog standing on the edge of a alfalfa field, sent JR a picture so he'd not think I'd been smokin' something.
Better get going, prayers for all in need and our country.
Have a great day and be safe.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Good morning from the snow Covered Sticks of Kentucky where we have 25° and about 5 inches of New Snow on top of the mess of Ice from earlier.
Yesterday the hiway dept got most of the main roads free from ice but they are in the Hole again. JB fussed at me yesterday until I gave in an drove to Lexington Kroger Field and got my Chinese virus vaccine. I was about 4 hours late for the appointment but no problem and no line. We hit a Rallys burger joint on the way back home. Of course, she invaded TJ Maxx also and found crap she needed really bad.

Cow feeding today will be with the cab tractor both places and also have to feed the damschoolteachers Cows also. It is no trouble and he is a good fella anyway and maintains the road through his property to get to my landlocked farm. Be nice to folks, you may need their help someday.
Geo Metro will not be able to wade through the Snow today so I may have to dig out the 4WD truck. Not much planned except add a gallon or two of hydraulic oil to the cab tractor. Lift started jerking and not any showing on the stick. Jackson was at town with his baby doll already, and he picked up a 6 gallon bucket of hi dollar Premium fluid. Ouch. But it is what it is.

A comment on Rush Limbaugh passing. I never listened to him very regular, as it kinda irritated me and got me all spun up for things out of my control. I agreed with what he was saying so it was not necessary to hear him drone on. He was a good man who like most if us had his Faults. Things spun out of control for him regularly and was a victim of his own excesses which let to a disastrous personal life.
Not the kind if person I would choose to be around much, but he sure could Gouge the Liberals in the Eye. RIP.

I guess I need to walk to the barn and get my Tractor as I don't think anyone is coming to bring it to me.
Have a safe day on the slick stuff today.

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 23 and snowing it's ass off here. Very peaceful though. I overslept a bit. Haven't set an alarm for work in 11 months now. We have almost an inch on the sidewalk and porch and calling for 5-8 more here. We're on the edge closer to 5, but we have a little elevation here, which might cut down on the wintry mix stuff later today and give us more snow. I still have 4-6 inches on the grass and the snow piles from the plow are still there from the last storms. That stuff is like an iceberg. I think this will be here for quite awhile. Yesterday I brought in 3 big wagons of wood. I have about half a cord inside and maybe a bit more outside in the sheds. I figure I have enough for about 3-4 weeks inside. I hope I have enough inside to get me to spring. Fingers crossed.

Well I fed the birds, but the deer are hunkered down this morning. Miss Sue is home today as well. I think I'll just call off at the gun shop, but they'll probably close early anyway. I'll wait until this mess is over to do the driveway. Better get busy here now. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Good mlorning, GoGo. It's 23 in Louisville, feels like 15, and going to 29. We got 2.2" of light, fluffy snow overnight with maybe another half-inch possible today.

Didn't get much done yesterday besides work-work. Since I'm getting paid to work from home, I'm fine with that. Today I'll be very busy with work-work. I do have 6-8 pounds of cured, smoked Canadian bacon that needs to be sliced and vacuum packed, so might try to do that today.

It occurred to me at some point overnight that since I have the supplies to make a basic knife sheath now, I could also make other things, like bolt holsters that competition shooters use.

JR, I'm glad you and Judy Brown got your COVID shots. I know you've had quite a few friends and neighbors come down with the China Flu, so maybe the shot will help y'all stay protected.

Everyone have a good'n and be safe out there. Prayers for our members who are on the mend.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Well now, it’s 17 degrees, which makes it 37 degrees warmer than yesterday at this time when we were -20. I hear the price of gas is jumping and Jan says I should go fill up but town and back is 3 gallons so I can’t save enough to make it worthwhile. We have bread, milk, pancake syrup, gasoline for the snowblower, and all the paper necessities so why go get gas? Jan says we have to bind the quilt so I think I have to watch. All the cutting is done. Paul snagged a classic tractor over the weekend; it’s a 1954 John Deere 40U and in new condition. I’ll have to get some pictures of Poppin Johnnie.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 21º and cloudy here headed for 30. It looks like the snow has moved out and a warm-up is forecast for the weekend.

It snowed all day yesterday and most of my day was keeping the fire going and the bird feeders topped off. My Wife cooked ribs in the oven and we got out to tale my Mom a plate. The streets are full of snow and you can't see the curbs or ditches.

Todays plan will be keeping the fire going and the bird feeders topped off. I was going to order some Lapua brass for a rifle that I'm putting together and everybody is out of it. I ended up finding 2 boxes that I forgot about having. One of them was open and I had put a note in it that it was trimmed and ready to load. Sometime today in between firewood duty and bird seed duty I'll prime them.

The birds are really hitting our feeders hard. We have birds that usually don't play well together sitting side bt side on feeders and most of the birds don't even fly off when we go out. The black birds are here in force and are acting their usual selves. I'm giving them a pass since its below freezing but I'll get the 22 short back out after them when it warms up.

Prayers offered for Mr Murl, Mr Bruce, anyone fighting the Chinese Virus, Our Country and any of you that are working out in the cold.

You'all have a good one and try to stay warm.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
S.H.I.T day already. Should have figured it from the eye candy yesterday.
17°, another whole inch and still flurrying tiny flakes.
Ate in town last night w SIL and Dinah's daughter, Ms Drama. Gas up to 2.59........bend over boys, they're driving. It really chaps my butt. 4 yrs of that crap, Executive Orders flowing and this is only 5 wks into JoJo's Reign. Or whoever is pulling his strings.
It will be decapping and swaging for a good while today. Not sure if I'll be doing the Fairgrounds gun show this W/E. It is 70 mins, have to get through the unmanned gate EARLY before it is manned, avoiding the 10$ exhorbitance. Not sure how badly I want to go. A bud who does 4-6 tables lets me use a few square feet. I bring the coffee and lemon filled donuts. ;)
Had a good workout w the TT machine. A rheostat is malfunctioning on the frequency of serve. It runs wide azz open. About one second max spacing. I do NOT put it on oscillate. It is a MAD Minute until the 70+ balls are no longer in play. Maybe 20% return to feeder mech on my part. Try as I may, I am no Forrest Gump. At least I haven't been shot in the "butt tocks."
Not much else to ratchet jaw about......Tom out

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well Good Morning to all of you varmint molesters, from up here on the frozen prairie.
I happy to report that we are in a heat wave. We have now warmed up to -4 below. Praise the Lord for answering prayers. Had a 1/2 inch of light snow fall last night. The wind will move that where it wants it to be today.
I’m not planning on doing much today, more than likely go to the neighbors, drink his coffee and talk him into doing some windshield farming today. I won’t have to twist his arm to hard.
Hope all of you have a good day, be safe, stay warm and stay healthy!
Gods Blessings to all.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Morning all, 33 headed up to36 or so they say. Had no internet service the last few days, missed being on here with you fellers. We got about 4" of snow last night, but the roads are clear. Wife is moving awful slow this morning, she took a a tumble yesterday, landed hard on her left side, bruised from one end to the other, just glad she did not break anything. She took it well, said if it was not for all the fat she would have broken her hip, I just said HMM. You all have a good one, be safe, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
27º with another 2-3" of white stuff this morning. Other than some 223 sorted, deprimed and swaged, not much got accomplished yesterday. I did make it out for my best high dollar stop, but everything else was closed. I've thought for a few days that a bridge on my lower right was feeling loose. But I was supposed to visit the dentist for a cleaning yesterday. They texted and said they were closed and would reschedule. That was fine until, while trying to eat a very hot barbeque chicken sandwich I made the mistake of chewing on my right side. Result was a fairly large three tooth bridge floating around in my mouth. Called the dentist and was told they couldn't get up their drive. I'm on my own.
Time for a new dentist. Fortunately, there isn't any pain, just can't chew on the right. Streets are bad and will be until Saturday.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts